I messed up!!!! HELPPPPPP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tanker4lyfe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I installed a new 170 t-stat and went and bought HOAT Coolant to refill what was lost only to find out that now Ram has for some dumb reason switched to OAT!!! And research tells me they are NOT compatible and it will cause major damage in a few weeks time. Can anyone confirm this and what is my solution?

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Call the dealer/service department and ask. I wouldn't drive it anymore than you need to until you get it figured out. Good luck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
HOAT is like O positive blood, it is a universal donor to both of the other anti freezes. You will be fine so long as you put 50% distilled water with it or used premix.

I don't like Oat either, might want to switch o full Hoat in 5 years.

OP
OP
T

Tanker4lyfe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HOAT is like O positive blood, it is a universal donor to both of the other anti freezes. You will be fine so long as you put 50% distilled water with it or used premix.

I don't like Oat either, might want to switch o full Hoat in 5 years.
Burla,
Have and resources that I can look into to verify this as I honestly have found zero that says they are compatible. And I could not see how they are not because it looks as though HOAT is only 1 less additive then OAT.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Big Bad Burla is a resource on his own, but do what you have to do. When there is a compatibility problem with a coolant you will get cloudiness or solids. it happens only when mixing the other two coolants because OAT reacts with the salts from the green stuff. Years of studying this over and Bob's and a few Radiator issues led me to do this research. BTW, look into RMI-25 the best radiator treatment you can get and will mix with all. The one thing you need to watch is for air in your system, keep checking the level for a couple days and make sure it is full. If you see your coolant starting to get cloudy, dump it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Having said that there may be a benefit from changing back to factory other then warranty. The Chrysler OAT coolant does NOT contain 2-EHA (the bad chit in DEX) and will have a 10 year/150,000 mile operating life. Verify that, you may want to change if these are the facts. Makes me want to rethink my hate for OAT. Just looked that up, get a second opinion on that.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
make sure you use the right oat as well

Looks like the factory purple chit kicks ass. You learn something new everyday. thanks for posting your screw up, made me learn something. Due to the new formula it should not me mixed. So right, dump it.

Sorry man I had old information, I was just thinking of old Oat formulas. Didn't stay up with new info. Chrysler really made a good coolant upgrade here. It is still probably compatible, but with all this new info I would dump it.

Make sure the coolant is hot when you dump it, I read here if the engine is cold\ some valves are closed and you don't get it all out. And make sure you get the purple stuff, none of the other Oat formulas.

Read that link and you will know why they switched. This is some cool stuff. Coolant is highly recyclable, so consider saving it and turn it in. I wouldn't trust anyone else to do it right, I'd do it myself if I was you.

GOT PURPLE

Now, if you didn't get the purple stuff in your factory fill, then HOAT is compatible with that orange or pink OAT, just say'n. But this purple stuff sounds so good, this is what I will be switching to soon even though I have an 2010 HOAT fill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tanker4lyfe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I need to learn how to do a flush then huh. I've never done one before. Any good links on proper flush info?

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Burla,
Have and resources that I can look into to verify this as I honestly have found zero that says they are compatible. And I could not see how they are not because it looks as though HOAT is only 1 less additive then OAT.

I have a certain member on ignore as his past recommendations / information have been inaccurate, but,,,, HOAT and OAT do NOT mix. Tons of info online for years now showing disastrous results. Full and complete Flush ASAP is in order.

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seen someone mix OAT and HOAT on the internet and it mixed up bad and it made some type of like goo that clogged up the cooling system. I say you drain it completely and put the factory fill. They cost like $25 at the dealer each.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have a certain member on ignore as his past recommendations / information have been inaccurate, but,,,,

You ignore function aint working ******. :flipthebird:

Mixing the coolants isn't the enemy, the enemy is air. Even the coolant companies say they all can mix. But hey, maybe slow troller who loves to battle even when he is wrong knows more then Peak and the coolant companies.:love51:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I seen someone mix OAT and HOAT on the internet and it mixed up bad and it made some type of like goo that clogged up the cooling system. I say you drain it completely and put the factory fill. They cost like $25 at the dealer each.

Yep,, Kind of a pale white crumbly crud,, almost looks like 'clear silicone crumbles'.

Using color alone to identify what you have can be deceiving as, rumor has it, Chrysler used one color for a while for one type, while Fiat was using that same color for a different type. Eventually, they (FCA) 'unified' there product line (I believe orange and purple were/are involved, but don't take my word for it.) Have also heard some appear to have a different hue in the rad vs in a glass jar.

Again, I couldn't specifically say what is what today, but if you know its OEM coolant, best to look in your manual for the spec./part number and then determine your plan.

The current OEM coolant is 'high dollar'. Alternatives do exist, but if you are going to go that route, you'll want to do a full/complete flush first before switching to be sure there are no ill effects.

As antifreeze type is important, I'd like to interject a thought or 2 on 't-stat swaps'.

I've seen folks go out and buy antifreeze (hope they got the right stuff) just to do a t-stat swap in a 'new' truck or one that's only a few years old,,,.

As the antifreeze in the vehicle is far from being 'used/worn out', IMHO, you're better off draining all you can out of the system into a clean pan, swap the stat, reuse the original from the pan and use distilled water for any make-up. When properly drained, you won't spill enough to need much make up. Certainly not enough to drastically affect your freeze/boil point.

With this method, you don't have the expense of the extra AF, and you have a ZERO percent chance of mixing AF types.

Last edited: