Intake or catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So I already have my hemifever tune and want to move on to my next mod. Should I go with an s&b I take (+retune) or a billettech catch can?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Both of these are great upgrades. Power wise, you are going to gain more form the intake than the catch can though. I would go with the intake myself, and ask for the catch can as a Christmas gift ;)

9th

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
intake then later on, catch can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TruckNoob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm surprised to hear people say intake then catch can. Intake will give you more power, but I would have thought everybody would recommend catch can to prevent all that oil from going back into your intake and combustion chamber.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Catch Can was my first mod and will always be my first.

OP
OP
T

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Wow I'm a little surprised as well! I realize they are two totally different mods and completely unrelated btw lol. I have never run a catch can on any of my vehicles so I didn't know quite how important it was other than the limited knowledge I had from digging around on here. I like the Christmas gift idea lol. Thanks yall

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read many times that an intake on these trucks without other supporting mods do not offer any gains besides a little more sound.

ram612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
Anybody have pics of each installed. I'm intrested and wanna see what it'll take too do both

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I've read many times that an intake on these trucks without other supporting mods do not offer any gains besides a little more sound.

You hear statements like that from people that do not take their trucks to the track or dyno to actually prove those statements though. Those of us that do take our trucks to the track have shown clear gains with just about every intake on the market. Some work better than others, but most all of them are an improvement over stock.

OP
OP
T

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well looks like catch can will be my next mod along with a 180 T stat per Sean's recommendation. Otherwise we just have permanently garbage fuel around here supposedly.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I'd do the intake and then find a used catch can for 1/2 price. I have a catch can on mine but only because I found one cheap, cars and trucks have been burning that little piddle of oil back through the engine for the last 60 years with no problems.

OP
OP
T

tcazes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Only reason I was going to do it was because the tuner recommended it. Maybe I'll try the thermostat first. From my searching, used catch cans aren't very common

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
cars and trucks have been burning that little piddle of oil back through the engine for the last 60 years with no problems.
LOLOLOLOLOL, exactly and that is why I'm not going to get one.LOLOL
Wow, just wow.
Some people are getting rich on some peeps fears.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm surprised to hear people say intake then catch can. Intake will give you more power, but I would have thought everybody would recommend catch can to prevent all that oil from going back into your intake and combustion chamber.

I agree with you. I would (and did) get the catch can first. Add the intake later.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cars and trucks have been burning that little piddle of oil back through the engine for the last 60 years with no problems.

Lol....this comment ALWAYS comes up in these threads...right along with the "if the manufacturer thought that it was needed then it would had come from the factory that way." comment. I don't have the time or patience to go into explaining these today.

BTW, the engines today are quite a lot different than engines from 60 yrs ago. For starters, just talk to those guys with direct injection engines.

Also, if my memory serves me correctly, before the 70s (or 60s), the PVC system wasn't mandatory and we were just dumping that **** on the road and not through the damn intake.

Last edited:

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just realize that Markcuda and jag1886 are from the same generation...lol....no wonder they agree with each other. :happy160:

Reactions: 9th

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lol....this comment ALWAYS comes up in these threads...right along with the "if the manufacturer thought that it was needed then it would had come from the factory that way." comment. I don't have the time or patience to go into explaining these today.

BTW, the engines today are quite a lot different than engines from 60 yrs ago. For starters, just talk to those guys with direct injection engines.

i was told they work, but they only catch all the oil being put back into the intake. they also said to do it right should run 2 inline catch cans. i have no idea. any thoughts?

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was told they work, but they only catch all the oil being put back into the intake. they also said to do it right should run 2 inline catch cans. i have no idea. any thoughts?

It's the 1st I've heard of needing 2 cans other then on turbo, direct injection engines.

I had one on my 2014 Sport. It did not catch all of it, but it did get most of it. I just picked up a 2016 Rebel this week and I have that catch can sitting in the garage. It goes on tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990