LucasOil and Royal Purple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So, are they REALLY necessary? My dad is all religious about it. He uses Royal Purple in every thing he can, including his guns. Swears they make his truck run better and his guns shoot better. Now, I only have 298 miles on my ride so I haven't even done the 500 mile breakin oil change. Any of you guys running the name brand ****? Or should the oil the dealership is using be fine?

Last edited:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You just jumped a huge spectrum between a high quality synthetic and god only knows bottom of the barrel used sludge the dealer likely uses.

My thoughts on Synthetic Oil. I've always run it, I will continue to run it.
I've never seen a 'conventional' oil pass ANY oil tests with better marks than a synthetic.

My Dad run's it in his truck. over 180k on the clock of towing (98 Ram with a 360) and that truck runs as good as day 1. Protect your investment!

SOC RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I Have Been Running Mobil 1 In All My New Vehicles Since 1979!

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm a royal purple type of guy. First time I used it was in my 99 Ram 360 and who knows what had been running in that truck before I got it because once I cleared all the old oil out and put in some purple, that truck perked up and ran with it. I decided after I was done with my 2 free oil changes from the dealer with my 2010, I'd started using it again and haven't looked back. Little pricey though, lol.

It just comes down to what you're willing to pay for. Vehicles have ran for a very long time with conventional oil and had no problems but they don't run as smooth and efficient as synthetics. So if you're willing to fork out the dough for a good top brand synthetic, go for it.

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I don't believe anything from royal purple is anything special and BP has done tests to prove it
Their have been a couple instances that royal purple has been in trouble with the BBB for false advertising because their product couldn't stand up to their claims

My brother dad and I have each had bad experiences with RP in three different motorsports applications. That was enough for me
I have been very pleased with Amsoil products so far

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't really say much about the RP, our lab here at work to my knowledge has never tested any...used or new. I like Castrol, so much that I could get all my oil for my oil changes for free here at our oil plant, but choose to purchase Castrol anyway.

The Lucus, if you're talking about their oil additives, take a minute to think about this...if RP is supposed to be any good, why must you use any additives in it?

Oil companies such as the one I have worked for the past 13 years, spend millions in producing quality blends with the proper additives and quality base oils, so that they work properly when used accordingly. Adding outside elements to those oils drastically changes how the oil performs.

Out of all the emails we get here from pissed off consumers saying our oils contributed to engine failure, I can guesstimate that 95% of them had nothing at all to do with the oil they used, but what they chose to add to it or simply they misused the oil in a fashion not according to the label.

In my opinion, there isnt really a such thing as a "bad" engine oil in this day and age...motor oil's have come way too far in the market to actually be considered bad. It doesnt really matter if you are using Kendall that Jiffy lube filled your crankcase with or you spend $80 an oil change for Amsoil...what matters most is you follow the manufacturers recommendations on how to properly maintain your vehicle according to the service schedule your driving habits suggest.

OP
OP
SuperBeaner

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know synthetics are better. I ran synthetics in my imports and in my classics before i bought my Ram. I was just wondering if premium brands were really worth it.

My dealership signed me up for two years of oil changes thru their small biz program... Without telling me what oil they would use or if I have the option. Should have taken the free accessories and signage.

Last edited:

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have always used Mobil 1 in everything. I mean everything. Polaris, lawn mower(Dixie Chopper), Truck, Honda, Trannys, Transfer Case, Rear end. Never had problem and never used additives. One thing I can say it really helped was my throttle body. I have 97k on the truck and took off the throttle body to clean it and it really was not that bad. I will get pictures up hopefully tomorrow(buddy took picks forgot to get them). To me that says something inside is doing good.

Plus you can get 5 quart jug 0w-20Fuel savin Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart for $26.00

OP
OP
SuperBeaner

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So is it true that I even need the 500 mile swap? I've never owned a new vehicle before

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So is it true that I even need the 500 mile swap? I've never owned a new vehicle before

The following is a direct quote from your owners manual:

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.

The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a
high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil
changes should be consistent with anticipated climate
conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For
the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to
“Maintenance Procedures” in “Maintaining Your Vehicle”.
NON-DETERGENT OR STRAIGHT MINERAL
OILS MUST NEVER BE USED.

A new engine may consume some oil during its first few
thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be
considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted
as an indication of difficulty.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I use QS have forever. Never had an engine failure.
I usually do my first oil change around 1k. My only reasoning is I have no idea what contaminates may have been introduced to the truck, simple peace of mind.

OP
OP
SuperBeaner

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Wow, Smoked, way to quote something that doesn't answer my question. I've already read that part of the manual. Notice, however, that it doesnt say anything about exactly when to change the oil.

Thanks Rotzilla. THAT was helpful info.

Last edited:

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like to know how what I posted DOES NOT answer your question? Can you not understand what your owners manual says?

OP
OP
SuperBeaner

SuperBeaner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would like to know how what I posted DOES NOT answer your question? Can you not understand what your owners manual says?

Dude, don't be a ****.

You're not understanding my question. I'm gonna repost it in the General forum. Feel free to take another whack at it.:waytogo:

Last edited:

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL...I'm not the one being a ****...read what the manual says there...if the manual stated there needed to be an oil change at 500-1000 miles, it would be on the service schedule. These engines are far, far advanced from the ones that were being built, 10 or 15 years ago. The only break in needed is driving it like you have common sense for the first 300 miles to properly break in your gears and stuff.

If it gives you the piece of mind to change it, then by all means change it at 500 miles, otherwise, do as the owners manual states and you can't go wrong. But we cannot tell you what gives YOU piece of mind, thats up for you to decide, all myself or anyone can do for you is post the info we find that relates to your question and I did so. You asked if it was true of you needed a 500 mile swap for a break in period oil change, I posted what the owner manual says and it doesn't say anything about a 500 mile oil change for any break in period...it simply says follow the instructions in your service schedule. Your service schedule doesn't list an oil change until the 8,000 miles of service. If you are really unsure of it, the safest bet would be to call your dealers service manager.

jpaul1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Smoked, you are correct. I bought my 2012, drove it as stated in the manual, and changed my oil to syn at 500 miles. I changed simply for piece of mind. On the engines I have built over the years this has been my routine, clearing out the assembly lube used on the build. Was an oil change at 500 necessary? Not according to the manual. But for a few dollars and piece of mind It was worth it to me.

BlkPearlSport11'

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Black Sport Quad Cab 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Switched to Royal Purple and K&N oil filter at 800 miles on mine! Get the break in out ran It hard lol and in with the good stuff!

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I asked the dealer when I bought mine about this and they told me it's fine because how advanced motor are nowadays versus older one's, you really don't need a oil change. So I went back at 3k for my first, 6k for my second, and then at 10k I switched to RP and mobile 1 filter.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
On one hand the only reason it is a good idea to wait a bit lets say 500 to 1000 miles before you first change it would be for any type of debris and shavings etc that would be in the oil you probably would want to change and have fresh oil from then until next change and has nothing to do with synthetic or dino. Many vehicles come with factory SYN especially foreign cars.

On the other side of the argument the engines are ran and broke in before they are put into truck so you may not even have to wait that many miles to work out the junk.