Manifold bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

Well after the third time i've brought the truck in for the cold startup ticking noise, and after I told them it had to be the manifold studs, they found one that was broken! Now would like to have your input on this, they will be replacing that one broken stud. While they are there, would it be a good idea to have them replace all the studs and the gasket? Would like your input on this...

Thanks

Last edited:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Hey guys,

Well after the third time i've brought the truck in for the cold startup ticking noise, and after I told them it had to be the manifold studs, they found one that was broken! Now would like to have your input on this, they will be replacing that one broken stud. While they are there, would it be a good idea to have them replace all the studs and the gasket? Would like your input on this...

Thanks

I think all the bolts should come out but the dealership will disagree. Stock header bolt are on limited time, mine failed around 60k.

Reactions: CTD

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with hammerhead. I would almost bet if one stud has went that some of the others won't be far behind. I just put headers on my truck the other day and my bolts already looked like crap with just 13,000 miles on the truck.

Last edited:

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So what r the option to fix this peoblem for good. Seeing allot of people say even after replacement the keep breaking

Ive heard planning the stock headers has helped.

Not really trying to replace bolts more than once

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
From what I have been reading they will just keep breaking.

Wonder if a set of good ARP bolts would fix it, also seems that alot of people go to shorty headers to fix the issue.

Like to hear some more input on this as well.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I have been reading they will just keep breaking.

Wonder if a set of good ARP bolts would fix it, also seems that alot of people go to shorty headers to fix the issue.

Like to hear some more input on this as well.

If I were the op this is exactly what I would do if I was not looking to drop big money on long tube headers and wanted a permanent fix. While also picking up a few hp and some better sound in the process.

A set of JBA ceramic coated shorty's, some stage 8 locking bolts and never have to worry about it again.

Last edited:

Bluto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its the bad manifold design that warps and stresses the bolts. New bolts are also on borrowed time. I decided I never wanted to deal with again and went with ceramic coasted BBK shorties and all new Stage 8 Locking header bolts. Its been almost year and no issues.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you run those without a tuner ?

Yes you can run them without a tune. They just connect to you factory y pipe, so your cats remain factory and untouched. That is why a lot of guys from California run them.

Last edited:

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Why would aftermarket headers solve problem. Still dis similar metals that most contribute to heat expansion rates beind different.

Causing bolt snap

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why would aftermarket headers solve problem. Still dis similar metals that most contribute to heat expansion rates beind different.

Causing bolt snap

You do not have to go with headers. "A good stage 8 exhaust manifold bolt should solve the bolt breaking problem.

A lot of guys though prefer to make the transition to headers while changing out the bolts and putting on new gaskets to eliminate the restrictive exhaust manifolds.

It is not necessary to change to headers, but if you have the money and will be taking off the manifolds any way, " I would definitely recommend it.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the manifolds were designed by ******** monkeys. They are absolute **** and are super restrictive.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes you can run them without a tune. They just connect to you factory y pipe, so your cats remain factory and untouched. That is why a lot of guys from California run them.

I will be one of them, I believe the BBK and JBA are CARB legal.
I'm tired of the failed manifold and headache... so this will be be my "smog set" set up and I should be able to just use the same stage 8 bolts for either long tubes or shorties

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So were do i get thes stage 8 bolts and not trying to mod the exhaust. What headers would i get to directly replace the stock manifolds?

Basically remove manifolds and bolt new headers in or is it more involved.

Sorry new to this

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
So were do i get thes stage 8 bolts and not trying to mod the exhaust. What headers would i get to directly replace the stock manifolds?

Sorry new to this

Matt at Moes Performance has a few shorty header options, he's a vendor on this site. As for the install, remove front tires and plastic wheel wells and you'll be looking straight at it. Stage 8 bolts just Google it and they will pop up. The gasket, use multi layers steel gaskets.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Sorry new to this

JBA Silver Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers

JBA Silver Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers 09-up Ram 5.7L Hemi

Stage 8 - 8916 MOPAR 4.7, 5.7, 6.1 Liter Hemi V8 Header Bolt Kit - 8mm 1.25x25mm Bolts 6 Point DHH - Set of 17 pieces

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QDX8LE/ref=psdc_15713921_t2_B000QDX8J6

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wowsers thats a little pricey.

What if i just have the stocks planed.

Will i potentially break un broken bolts trying to pull it as prevenative procedure. Pretty sure back pass is broken due to tick at start

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The other option other than Stage 8 bolts is a grade 10.9 M8-1.25 x 30mm bolt with a 13mm head. They're available from most fastener supply stores.

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The other option other than Stage 8 bolts is a grade 10.9 M8-1.25 x 30mm bolt with a 13mm head. They're available from most fastener supply stores.

So are new factory bolts junk?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
So are new factory bolts junk?

Pretty much, they don't hold up under the repeated heat cycling that they are required to handle. The Stage8 and 10.9 bolts have a different heat treating and have proven to be the fix to the problem that we've come up with. The downside of Stage8 fasteners is they can rattle if you're using the retainers after the gaskets compresses and this can show as knock to the knock sensors.