Newb Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would get an S&B one. You can get one from Moe's. No, you won'the need a tune as the PCM will adapt to it. K&N's are alright, but there are better ones.

OP
OP
R

Rdeluca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you provide a link? Im not familiar with S&B.

Thanks

OP
OP
R

Rdeluca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you provide a link? Im not familiar with S&B.

Thanks

OP
OP
R

Rdeluca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What makes the S&B better? Again I appreciate your help.

HemiXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, for one, it's enclosed and won't get as dirty as an open one, which means less cleaning. Also, you have a choice on wet or dry filter. Seems everybody likes the wet one ( cleanable) to the dry one, which after time would have to be replaced.

OP
OP
R

Rdeluca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what about the difference in gains? Are there any?

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
S&B and Vararam seem to be the concensus around here... good luck!

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The S&B has an enclosed airbox that prevents any engine heat from being sucked into the motor. The K&N uses a partial heatshield, and hot air still gets around it and sucked into the motor. The open filter design of the K&N also makes it 1 of the loudest intakes you can buy. Some people like this, but I find it obnoxious on the highway. The S&B is only slightly louder than stock, and you usually only hear it at 3/4 throttle or more.

The S&B is also the best built and best fitting kit I have seen. You wont be disappointed.

HemiXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your not going to get any real performance gains, but it will it sound better as these aren't restrictive as the stock intake is.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Its enclosed. Exposing the filter element so that it sucks in air from the entire engine compartment is not a cold air intake, its a warm air intake.

Probably not much difference in actual power improvement, but if you're paying the same amount, might as well get the better one. In this case, that's S&B.

OP
OP
R

Rdeluca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for info. K&N claims that i will get an increase of 15hp.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Thanks for info. K&N claims that i will get an increase of 15hp.

A lot of manufacturers will claim much higher numbers than what their parts actually make. A better way to check the power of each mod is to look at what all the fastest guys are using at the track. Anyone can claim a big dyno number on paper, but if it doesnt show gains at the track, then it isnt worth the money.

The Vararam has shown the best power gains, but their build quality isnt quite as nice as S&B. If you dont mind playing with the fitment of the Vararam, then I would go that route. If you are picky about everything being rock solid under the hood, then the S&B is the next best option.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had a S&B on a Silverado once, cheap POS. The "box" was a thin plastic and warped over time due to heat. I can't imagine there was any real "cold air" from a thin plastic box. I won't buy one again. Crap. However the filter itself is probably pretty good.

I have a Rotofab brand intake on my '10 Camaro SS, and it has a S&B logo on the filter.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I had a S&B on a Silverado once, cheap POS. The "box" was a thin plastic and warped over time due to heat. I can't imagine there was any real "cold air" from a thin plastic box. I won't buy one again. Crap. However the filter itself is probably pretty good.

I have a Rotofab brand intake on my '10 Camaro SS, and it has a S&B logo on the filter.

How long ago was it when you ran an S&B on your Chevy? If you think their quality is crap, then don't even consider buying any other kit for your truck. I've run or installed every kit available, and the S&B is without question the best built, best fitting, and most rigid of the bunch.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How long ago was it when you ran an S&B on your Chevy? If you think their quality is crap, then don't even consider buying any other kit for your truck. I've run or installed every kit available, and the S&B is without question the best built, best fitting, and most rigid of the bunch.

Yeah. That's most definitely not the S&B that's on my truck. That thing is built like a dang tank. It makes the factory box look like a toy box by comparison in thickness and build quality. And it is built far better than most any other CAI I have seen lately.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Cheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Happy I found this thread. Now I know which one I will order when the time comes.

OP
OP
R

Rdeluca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks for the info. I am assuming, like the K&N, no tuning needed?