IHorsepower numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramallan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I’ve been trying to dial in on how to make power with this thing before i get it cammed. Here is my Mod list do yall agree with the numbers? what are some good engine mods from here?

Mods

Free - clutch fan delete ~10rwhp

$150 - v6 efan

$350 - k&n cold air intake ~5rwhp

Free - Flowmaster muffler ~5rwhp

$400 - bilstein shocks

$1050 - jay greene tune ~ 25rwhp

$25 - 180 ️ thermostat

$300 shorty headers ~ 15 rwhp

$120 non-mds lifters

$100 exhaust wrap ~ 5rwhp

OP
OP
Ramallan

Ramallan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was planning on
I’ve been trying to dial in on how to make power with this thing before i get it cammed. Here is my Mod list do yall agree with the numbers? what are some good engine mods from here?

Mods

Free - clutch fan delete ~10rwhp

$150 - v6 efan

$350 - k&n cold air intake ~5rwhp

Free - Flowmaster muffler ~5rwhp

$400 - bilstein shocks

$1050 - jay greene tune ~ 25rwhp

$25 - 180 ️ thermostat

$300 shorty headers ~ 15 rwhp

$120 non-mds lifters

$100 exhaust wrap ~ 5rwhp
I was planning on going with a harmonic balancer and 6.4 intake w bigger TB and getting a mandrel y pipe put in next.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You'll get more power from most of those mods if they come with stickers,lol.You're falling for alot of miss leading marketing.As CK70 said,the only mod that will give you anything is the tune,even the shorties won't add anything.
Research tuners,as there's way better tuners out there,then the one you're picking.
Find a tuner who uses HP and go that way,FRP is one to start with
It's not wise to replace the MDS lifters with Non-MDS lifters on the stock cam,whatever you do,don't go cheap on lifters suck it up and buy OEM lifters.There are no such thing as Hellcat lifters either,all Non-MDS Chrysler lifters are the so-called Hellcat lifters

OP
OP
Ramallan

Ramallan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You'll get more power from most of those mods if they come with stickers,lol.You're falling for alot of miss leading marketing.As CK70 said,the only mod that will give you anything is the tune,even the shorties won't add anything.
Research tuners,as there's way better tuners out there,then the one you're picking.
It's not wise to replace the MDS lifters with Non-MDS lifters on the stock cam,whatever you do,don't go cheap on lifters suck it up and buy OEM lifters.There are no such thing as Hellcat lifters either,all Non-MDS Chrysler lifters are the so-called Hellcat lifters
I’m confused why you think the shorties don’t flow significantly better than stock? I was thinking 10-15 hp for the simple reason that the stock manifolds are so bad and restrictive. Also my tuner deleted mds so I was told it’s a better idea to get non-mds because they often collapse.

OP
OP
Ramallan

Ramallan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I hate to break it to you, but other than your tune and your headers, you probably got more horsepower increase from those shocks than you did any of the other modifications.
Thanks for the response, I wasn’t expecting anything crazy from any of these mods and i know they’re all pretty small changes but I’m still learning as i go. Just wanted some input on how to wake this ****** up. I also believe that the clutch fan is good for about 10rwhp, i’ll give you the cold air intake and muffler those are probably very optimistic numbers.

OP
OP
Ramallan

Ramallan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
is frp flyin ryan ? why would you go that route over jay greene? i only picked him because he designs cams for these vehicles.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
is frp flyin ryan ? why would you go that route over jay greene? i only picked him because he designs cams for these vehicles.
Yup.I got talked into Greene and lost a 1/2 sec,and the truck drove like $hit,went back to my local tuner and the truck was back to being drivable and gained the 1/2 sec back.He has a $hitty rep on the car boards to.His cams are okay,i have one in my truck,but his tuning isn't great.
FRP also does cams
Rick Francescone has a pretty decent rep,and he'll do custom cams designed for your situation.
MMX has cams
Matt Fikac at Moes has some pretty decent cams to.
There's lots of cam guys out there.
Give up on the shorties,spring for long tubes,use the money you were going to spend on a throttle body,and put it towards a set of long tubes.
Avoid using Diablo ,as not many tuners are still using Diablo's platform anymore

OP
OP
Ramallan

Ramallan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yup.I got talked into Greene and lost a 1/2 sec,and the truck drove like $hit,went back to my local tuner and the truck was back to being drivable and gained the 1/2 sec back.He has a $hitty rep on the car boards to.His cams are okay,i have one in my truck,but his tuning isn't great.
FRP also does cams
Rick Francescone has a pretty decent rep,and he'll do custom cams designed for your situation.
MMX has cams
Matt Fikac at Moes has some pretty decent cams to.
There's lots of cam guys out there.
Give up on the shorties,spring for long tubes,use the money you were going to spend on a throttle body,and put it towards a set of long tubes.
Avoid using Diablo ,as not many tuners are still using Diablo's platform anymore
Thanks for the information i’ve been thinking about going hp since i found out about them, as well as flyin ryan ill probably use him for my next if i can sell this diablo trinity. Also

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the information i’ve been thinking about going hp since i found out about them, as well as flyin ryan ill probably use him for my next if i can sell this diablo trinity. Also
Before you get carried away with a cam/headers etc,why don't you do an 8 speed swap.You'll pick up as much from putting an 8 speed in it as you will from the cam,and you get rid of that light duty RFE 5 speed that won't take much abuse.No you can't build the RFE to handle power,lol.It's the weak link in your truck.
Guys are gaining a 1/2 sec+ by switching to the 8 speed,which is about all you'll gain from a cam

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

OP
OP
Ramallan

Ramallan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Before you get carried away with a cam/headers etc,why don't you do an 8 speed swap.You'll pick up as much from putting an 8 speed in it as you will from the cam,and you get rid of that light duty RFE 5 speed that won't take much abuse.No you can't build the RFE to handle power,lol.It's the weak link in your truck.
Guys are gaining a 1/2 sec+ by switching to the 8 speed,which is about all you'll gain from a cam
I have a 6 speed in here right now and the truck came with 3.55 gears. i’m waiting for things to go bad before i trans swap, planning on 392 stroking and redoing the head internals/porting. My plan is to get my bolt ons now, so i can prepare for future mods.My truck is running 6.0s 0-60’s i’m trying to get it to around 4.5-5.0.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’m confused why you think the shorties don’t flow significantly better than stock? I was thinking 10-15 hp for the simple reason that the stock manifolds are so bad and restrictive. Also my tuner deleted mds so I was told it’s a better idea to get non-mds because they often collapse.
The ramp profiles are differant between the mds lobes and non-mds lobes,so it's generally reconmended not to run non-mds lifters on the mds lobes.MDS has squat to do with the cams failing,otherwise the manual transmission 5.7 and 6.4 Challengers would never have cam failures,and they go through cams just as fast as the mds equipped hemi's do.
Leave the lifters alone till you do the cam,and don't forget you need the mds block off plugs when you do the cam.Stanke builds some nice billet aluminium block off plugs,if you don't want to run the OEM plastic block off plugs
Shorties are a waste of time and money,especially if you plan on adding a cam to the mix,long tubes pull harder off the bottom and all the way up through the rpm band,and torque is what you want with a truck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 6 speed in here right now and the truck came with 3.55 gears. i’m waiting for things to go bad before i trans swap, planning on 392 stroking and redoing the head internals/porting. My plan is to get my bolt ons now, so i can prepare for future mods.My truck is running 6.0s 0-60’s i’m trying to get it to around 4.5-5.0.
All the 6 speed is,is the 5 speed RFE with 2nd prime enabled.Personally you should be doing the transmission swap before you think about the engine.Instead of stroking a 5.7,hunt up a used 6.4 instead,the heads on the 6.4 trucks and SRT 6.4s are way better heads then what you have on your 5.7.What you'll spend on porting a set of 5.7 heads will go alongs ways towards buying a complete used 6.4,that already has heads that'll outflow your ported 5.7 heads.Any truck 6.4 and all car SRT 6.4's after 18 are the good BGE block.Plus all 6.4's come with a forged crank.You're going about this backasswards ,start with the transmission swap first,as the majority of cams you stick in a stock 5.7 will need to be changed out if you're hung up on a stroker,so get the basic driveline out of the way first (transmission),then hunt up a 6.4 and do it up,that way you're not paying for alot of parts twice.Pay once / cry once applies to the Hemi,so do it right the first time around

OP
OP
Ramallan

Ramallan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

All the 6 speed is,is the 5 speed RFE with 2nd prime enabled.Personally you should be doing the transmission swap before you think about the engine.Instead of stroking a 5.7,hunt up a used 6.4 instead,the heads on the 6.4 trucks and SRT 6.4s are way better heads then what you have on your 5.7.What you'll spend on porting a set of 5.7 heads will go alongs ways towards buying a complete used 6.4,that already has heads that'll outflow your ported 5.7 heads.Any truck 6.4 and all car SRT 6.4's after 18 are the good BGE block.Plus all 6.4's come with a forged crank.You're going about this backasswards ,start with the transmission swap first,as the majority of cams you stick in a stock 5.7 will need to be changed out if you're hung up on a stroker,so get the basic driveline out of the way first (transmission),then hunt up a 6.4 and do it up,that way you're not paying for alot of parts twice.Pay once / cry once applies to the Hemi,so do it right the first time around
That sounds like a much better idea to engine swap when you factor in all the parts i’ll be buying. I learn everything from here and youtube so i’m still new. Doing all of my own installs and putting a cam in right now. Engine swap is a great idea Since i expect the new and replaced head internals and new cam to last another ~150k miles, and id say the same for my block.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That sounds like a much better idea to engine swap when you factor in all the parts i’ll be buying. I learn everything from here and youtube so i’m still new. Doing all of my own installs and putting a cam in right now. Engine swap is a great idea Since i expect the new and replaced head internals and new cam to last another ~150k miles, and id say the same for my block.
Start looking around for a 6.4 as it's the better engine to build.You could even price out a new 6.4 long block from Ma Mopar,as it's a good basis to build off. Even the standard 6.4 block from an earlier car is still good for a 1,000 hp,but if you stumble across a truck 6.4 or a car 6.4 from a 2018 or newer Challenger/Charger they will all have the BGE block,although the truck 6.4 will have the better heads.The truck 6.4 heads are virtually a duplicate of the Hellcat heads,but with-out the Hellcat valves.
This article has some good info on the 6.4's,if you haven't seen it,it's worth spending the few minutes to read it.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
At least you aren't starting like some people who complain about performance while toting a hard cover, bed tool box, bush guard, and other stuff.

If you really want to wake up the truck, put in a 6.4. I had a 5.7, tried some of what you propose (not tuning) and it doesn't make any difference. Your stock set up isn't restricting airflow where those before and after engine options would "fix" a problem.

Good luck.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Your expectations aren't realistic in your original post but you seem like you have come to terms with that with the help of the forum members. I had shorties on my 18 5.7 and made very little change to the engine output. I also had a vararam which I took off as it didn't benefit the daily. Most bolt on mods don't do a whole lot as your always limited by the cam, intake and heads (basically how much air the engine can ingest).

Realistic bolt ons - Full length headers, ypipe and decent 3" or dual 2.5" catback and a tune. If your really feeling spunky and want to throw more money at it then a good aftermarket S&B intake or vararam. Thats about all I would do with the 5.7 until your open it up. You could do a 6.4 but at what cost? You would need a tune/tranny and any supporting mods right off the bat. The 3.55s will work better with the 8spd as stock 8spd trucks come with 3.21 factory so you got alittle more mechanical leverage going on there.

My recommendation would be to throw a torqstorm supercharger on it for $4k+tune etc (so maybe 5-6k total) and let that thing eat your transmission haha. That way you get stock driveability and fuel economy and low ish boost 6psi would net you over 140whp. You will need to do a tune and a trans swap with some upgrades likely to handle the 500+hp 5.7. If you do a 6.4 swap your still swapping the tranny and a tune plus headers etc. The higher mileage 5.7 is better as the rings have likely opened up and will handle the boost better. Either way its not cheap, 5k plus the trans your looking at probably 8-10k total but the truck would be a lot of fun.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve seen where they use the 6.4 intake on a 5.7. With injector adapters to run 5.7 injectors on 6.4 intake & claim 30hp increase with no tuning. And If its not flex fuel . You could run ff injectors with a 100 shot (dry) of go-go juice. That would add up to 130hp. The 6.4 intakes run about $500.00 + the injector adapters. & a dry nitrous kits about $600.00. I changed my 3rd gen injectors to ff injectors . Just so I can drive while I’m cleaning my stock injectors. No tuning runs fine no ce lights. I use my truck everyday for work. So no go-go juice. I’m in a emission state/city so I try not to do any tuning. Until my vehicle’s are exempt. So the 6.4 intake w/ff injectors & a shot of da gas. Might be the cheapest route for more HP. Just a suggestion no warranty implied !