OAT Coolant Color Purple or Orange? Whats the Big Deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello Everyone, I was wondering if I can get some help here.
So I got myself a 2014 Ram 1500 and I put in a 180 thermostat last week. So the OEM coolant color is like a pinkish orange color. After doing research I see that for 13 and up, Chrysler switched to OAT coolant which is now purple. So my question is why is my coolant not purple? When I went to the dealer, I asked for coolant for my 14 and they wanted to give me the purple. But I told them mine was the pink-orange colored one, so they gave me the Mopar Coolant in that pinkish-orange color. So should I dump mine out and throw the purple one in there?
Chrysler switches to OAT antifreeze for longer service interval - SAE International
Chrysler purple coolant - Automotive Service Professional
:help:

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dump and use Evan's coolant. Conventional coolant is crap.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Your truck from the factory has the purple OAT coolant. For the sake of your warranty put OAT coolant and only OAT coolant in it. As for it not looking purple. It's kind of a weird thing where the coolant will look purple or an orange depending on background colour. It sounds weird but it's true. Chrysler even released a Star case about it.

324dfac9fe6535513d02d59a1215c039.jpg

Last edited:

Inside Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My opinion, if the factory plans to switch over to something miniscule like the coolant in 2014, they will finish running the old product out before making the switch.

I wouldn't say for warranty sake you need to switch to OAT coolant. As long as its been used by Chrysler, and its not an aftermarket product, its not going to void your warranty.
Any competent mechanic, even a back yard one will know the moment they see the coolant what there dealing with.
Just leave it alone and i promise you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500