Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
Hemi
I have tried for quite a while to figure this out thru search so sorry for asking..

Am going to do an oil change myself soon and know my 2014 1500hemi says 5w20, but I see a lot about 5w30 being used.

I live in New England if that matters temp wise. Can someone please help me on this? I know the filter is also important, but oil wise I am so unsure as to what to do. Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to the forum, I encourage you to visit synthetic oil thread. I use 5w30 as many guys do, no problem. Many guys run 5w20 no problem. Slightly better flow 5w20, and slightly better film strength 5w30. I might be so bold as to say Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Wix XP, and Napa Platinum are top quality filters, will out last your oil.

OP
OP
I

Irishfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
Hemi
Thank you both for the replies.

I have aorund 27K miles on her now and plan to keep it for quite a while. It is near perfect.

It is a daily driver, getting between 50-75 miles per day. 0 towing in its future, this one is just my cruiser.

In regards to oil changes, I do not follow what is on the dash - I try to have it changed, and want to now do on my own since I have some more free time, every 3-5K miles. Much of my driving varies between an hour in traffic slowly moving and then 15 minutes going 70, then traffic, etc.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I deleted my long post. Too much rambling!

I personally have no honest data/facts/white paper information that proves that a 20 weight will protect your 5.7L better then any other viscosity over a 100K-300K mile service life.

One thing I always try to point out is the 20wt oil's were created only for café purposes which equals better fuel economy. There is zero or non-data or factual truth anywhere that these oil's were created for better wear protection over the 30wt/40wt oils. Now there is a 16wt oil & a 10wt oil is in the works.

I only use the thicker viscosity by choice. Due to all of my research and findings all based on film strength.

If you're going to keep your OCIs between 3000 and 5000 miles I really see no need to spend the extra money on synthetic oil as well as a synthetic media filter.
At the end of your OCI you will just be dumping and throwing away oil and a filter that is only halfway through its actual life. But that's not my call it's your money.

With your chosen 3K to 5K mile OCI: I would recommend if you're going to use a conventional oil? ---->PYB 5W-20
If your wanting to run a synthetic oil? My personal preference would be pennzoil platinum 5W-20 or 0W-20.
You can easily pick up a very good synthetic media oil filter (Fram Ultra) for about 8 to 9 dollars off Amazon or your local Walmart.

30Wt/40Wt is only by choice & preference!
Even though I have not ever heard or read about a 5.7L developing the so-called lifter tick while running a 30 or 40wt oils!

One more thing I want to add: there is nothing wrong with doing short OCIs with this motor. The key to long life is keeping this motor sludge free with very little contaminants building up anywhere especially within the MDS system itself.
(The PYB or PP with the aid of the Fram Ultra) will keep your 5.7L spotless also produce very low wear numbers (within your selected OCI)! But you also have to do your part also! (With your driving style/habits)! Good Luck in your Quest!

Like burla stated above: any more questions can be directed within the synthetic oil thread.

Last edited:

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was the short version?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
That was the short version?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I do apologize!
I pride myself on never giving out just Half A$$ thoughts/opinions.

I wanted to be thorough and detailed in all my opinions.