First oil change on 2023 1500 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have anything to back that up or are you just being confrontational?
No offense, Mike, but can a person have an opinion without stating any kind of sources? If so it seems to me there are a plethora of opinions on this site that serve as examples.

I cannot think of a more contentious subject here than any motor oil or filter discussion, many times generating snide or condescending comments from people having a different belief. So reluctance to have a more engaging conversation is understandable, in my opinion.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100977 miles.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No offense taken Dusty. I agree with you in theory, but the statement "Both are a waste of money and time. Cheers" appeared to be more of a confrontational statement than an opinion. How is changing oil (of any brand), a waste of time? Most people who make similar statements would usually include the reason why, such as "I hate Schaeffer's motor oil because I don't like the color". Maybe I like using green oil and don't agree, but I can respect the opinion.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No offense taken Dusty. I agree with you in theory, but the statement "Both are a waste of money and time. Cheers" appeared to be more of a confrontational statement than an opinion. How is changing oil (of any brand), a waste of time? Most people who make similar statements would usually include the reason why, such as "I hate Schaeffer's motor oil because I don't like the color". Maybe I like using green oil and don't agree, but I can respect the opinion.
I guess it's how you interpreted the comment. In the context of the response, I read that the author was criticizing the specific oil and filter type because of, perhaps, the price point. I also recognize that the persons comment was going against this threads 'conventional wisdom.' I can't speak for the commenter, so the burden is on them to make their case. I see that the exceptionally brief comment may contribute to ambiguity. The burden of understanding is not on the reader, but on the author.

I've been in here long enough to recognize that a few will sometimes throw these similar little hand grenades. I was just a little surprised that this one comment drew a negative response.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100977 miles.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's the problem. The comment had no context. My response wasn't intended to be negative actually. It was an honest question about a terse comment.

OP
OP
skates15

skates15

Reaction score
Hi Skates15,

I'm in Central instead of Northern Minnesota, but in climate zone 5. I had some of the same questions when I first got my 2018 RAM with 5.7L Hemi. After much reading, I settled on Redline 5W-30 for my oil and use Fram Ultra XG2 filters. I have done a remote filter installation, which added 3/4 quart or more to my oil capacity.

I'm using Redline for the usual reasons members of this forum suggest it - a 'stickier' base oil and high moly. It is pricey, but if it keeps the engine running . . . I use the 5W-30 because I found that 5W-20 oils (including Redline) are too volatile, and I had measurable oil loss between changes. With 5W-30 Redline, I use almost no oil in my target range of 5K to 6K between changes. My truck's at about 93K today and running fine. I'll be switching to snow tires this week ;).
Hey there. This is my plan as well, red line 5/30 and either a Fram or Purple filter. I need to buy some snow tires soon, another expense. Looking at Blizack.

MarMar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi e torque
I did my first oil change at 1200 mi. I'll change it at 5000 after that. I always feel that first oil change is the most important. IMO the brand isn't as important as regular Maintenace.

NINJA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L vTorque
- I’ve always changed my oil @ 3000 miles, regardless
- And, the 1st change, was @ 1,500 miles (Break-In Change) which ‘may’ be sooner than that. I’d have to recheck the Ram Maintenance recommendations
- I realize it’s more frequent than the OEM Recommendations, but it’s a long-time habit and I’d always want to ensure I’m running clean oil in any supercharged engine
- I was under the impression that the OEM recommended 0-40W Synthetic.
- I’ve been using the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 0W40 with an SRT Mopar Oil Filter.
- Maybe ‘overkill’, but I’ve always thought the OEM recommendations were far too liberal. Enough Said. Great Truck - Great Engine!
- Thanks!

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
- And, the 1st change, was @ 1,500 miles (Break-In Change) which ‘may’ be sooner than that. I’d have to recheck the Ram Maintenance recommendations
- I realize it’s more frequent than the OEM Recommendations, but it’s a long-time habit and I’d always want to ensure I’m running clean oil in any supercharged engine
- I’ve been using the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 0W40 with an SRT Mopar Oil Filter.
- Maybe ‘overkill’, but I’ve always thought the OEM recommendations were far too liberal. Enough Said. Great Truck - Great Engine!
- Thanks!
My maintenance schedule simply says, "Change engine oil - Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13,000 km), 12 months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first."

I figure every 5000 miles is good enough. Especially since that also equates to about once every 12 months with my driving habits. :driver:

Badlilhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
I called and spoke with Redline who basically said they don't have the certification required in the Manual. This they said could be used against me if I had engine failure under warranty. I read 5w-30 is best also but that would also likely cause warranty issues. I heard some were having error codes running the wrong viscosity as well? The manual calls for 0w-20 right?

Badlilhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
- Thanks!
Did my first oil change at 1500 also as I don't like running break in oil very long. I went to PUP 0w-20 and a WIX XP filter.. now the truck is louder and I have clatter on start up I did not have before.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These engines can be noisy and that oil is thin.

Add some  Biotech Lubegard. I run PUP 5w30 with lubegard. She's quiet.

Puckstopper55

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Rebel
Engine
So as others have recommended, I took my truck to the dealership for its first oil change. The truck is just under 1000 miles, so I figured it was close enough. I specified that I wanted them to use the “Premium Synthetic” oil to which they agreed. I’m looking at the invoice and it says they used 7 quarts of 68523969-AA. Any idea what that Mopar part correlates to? Extensive googling doesn’t tell me anything other than 0w-20. I appreciate the help.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So as others have recommended, I took my truck to the dealership for its first oil change. The truck is just under 1000 miles, so I figured it was close enough. I specified that I wanted them to use the “Premium Synthetic” oil to which they agreed. I’m looking at the invoice and it says they used 7 quarts of 68523969-AA. Any idea what that Mopar part correlates to? Extensive googling doesn’t tell me anything other than 0w-20. I appreciate the help.
Not sure what you're looking for; it's MOPAR oil 0W-20. If you want to know if it's another brand of oil just rebadged as MOPAR, I don't think you'll find that information anywhere.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You asked for “Premium Synthetic” did you ask for a certain brand of oil to be used, if not who knows what brand of oil was used, each dealer can use what ever brand of bulk oil they want for oil changes so long as it meets current API spec, except for warranty, then they have to use what every brand FCA tells them to use...

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Using Google it seems that it is Pennzoil Platinum oil. Some search sites still have the PP bottle picture but most just have the Mopar logo. Back when I bought mine PP was the factory fill as well as the service oil.

Puckstopper55

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Rebel
Engine
Not sure what you're looking for; it's MOPAR oil 0W-20. If you want to know if it's another brand of oil just rebadged as MOPAR, I don't think you'll find that information anywhere.
Trying to decipher if they used “full synthetic” or the “premium synthetic” I asked for.

Puckstopper55

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Rebel
Engine
You asked for “Premium Synthetic” did you ask for a certain brand of oil to be used, if not who knows what brand of oil was used, each dealer can use what ever brand of bulk oil they want for oil changes so long as it meets current API spec, except for warranty, then they have to use what every brand FCA tells them to use...
So I ended up purchasing (through mopar) a pre-paid oil change package. 3 changes that must be used within 2 years, with filter, for $180. I figured I’d have them do the winter oil changes and I’d do the ones in warmer weather. When they perform the oil change it is billed out as “Warrenty”.

The pricing from the Mopar site was based on VIN so it knows what oil should be used and how much of it is needed.

OP
OP
skates15

skates15

Reaction score
Hi Skates15,

I'm in Central instead of Northern Minnesota, but in climate zone 5. I had some of the same questions when I first got my 2018 RAM with 5.7L Hemi. After much reading, I settled on Redline 5W-30 for my oil and use Fram Ultra XG2 filters. I have done a remote filter installation, which added 3/4 quart or more to my oil capacity.

I'm using Redline for the usual reasons members of this forum suggest it - a 'stickier' base oil and high moly. It is pricey, but if it keeps the engine running . . . I use the 5W-30 because I found that 5W-20 oils (including Redline) are too volatile, and I had measurable oil loss between changes. With 5W-30 Redline, I use almost no oil in my target range of 5K to 6K between changes. My truck's at about 93K today and running fine. I'll be switching to snow tires this week ;).
Thanks for that. I'm going for my second change and will go for 5/30. OD is 6k. I love this engine. I'm using a royal purple oil filter. I also run top gas and found that Shell is best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat