First oil change on 2023 1500 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skates15

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to do my first oil change on a 23 1500 5.7. I'm in northern Minnesota and park at night in an insulated garage (not heated). It will have a cold start at night after my work day is done and weekends is spent outdoors.

After reviewing the various threads on this topic, is this setup good for the winter?

Red Line or Penzoil Ultra 5W/30.
Fram Ultra or Royal Purple 20-820.

I'm leaning towards Red line and Royal Purple because some mention was that it was top shelf for Hemi.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
You can't go wrong with the Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter, no matter what oil you use.

PUP 5W30 is a great oil, and less expensive than the RL HP 5W30.

If money isn't an issue, you can look at either High Performance Lubricants Super Car 0W30, or Red Line High Performance 5W30. These two are the higher end oils that provide the premium protection additives for the HEMI's.

You can easily go to 5,000 mile oil change intervals on either of these oils; perhaps even more.

Oil samples and Balckstone labs are your friend ;)

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You can't go wrong with the Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter, no matter what oil you use.

PUP 5W30 is a great oil, and less expensive than the RL HP 5W30.

If money isn't an issue, you can look at either High Performance Lubricants Super Car 0W30, or Red Line High Performance 5W30. These two are the higher end oils that provide the premium protection additives for the HEMI's.

You can easily go to 5,000 mile oil change intervals on either of these oils; perhaps even more.

Oil samples and Balckstone labs are your friend ;)
I do 5k oil change intervals using Redline 5w 30, but they occur once per year since that's all the mileage we put on our truck. On a previous Ram truck we owned, I did 10k OCI's. Blackstone reports said I could have gone longer, but I didn't want to potentially affect any warranty coverage.

Rebel4Mo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought my wifes 2019 Rebel used with 50K on the clock.
Did not know the oil history so I used Royal Purple 5w-30 with a Napa Premium filter.

I assume your new new truck is under warranty and might want to check if using a different weight oil may void warranty if engine failure was to occur.

OP
OP
skates15

skates15

Reaction score
I'm thinking now that for the winter here in Minnesota ill go with 5/20 rather than 5/30, Red Line.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm thinking now that for the winter here in Minnesota ill go with 5/20 rather than 5/30, Red Line.
That's not how oil works... The 5 is the cold number the 20 is the hot number. So, 0w30 would make sense, if you're worried about cold starts, but once the engine warms up there's no benefit to the 20 over the 30, since the engine calls for 30.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope that they didn't tighten the crap out of the oil filter at the factory.mine was a nitemare

OP
OP
skates15

skates15

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. I had no idea the various oil types and just want to feed this hemi what it needs for longevity since this will be my last vehicle. I've been hanging over at Bob is the oil guy site, pretty educational.

icecoldak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Run a 0W-30 all year round---no issues!!

Rebel4Mo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you haven't purchased an oil filter vice, it will save you a ton of time and effort as the factory filters are impossible to wrench off otherwise- not bad for $10:
I use a filter wrench/socket that has an offset arm that uses a 1/2" extension.

Jimmitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My first oil change was when I drove it home from the dealership with 15 miles on the engine. Dealerships and the factory buy oil in 55 gal drums or in bulk. I am not saying it is bad oil but they buy the best bang for the buck . I ran break in oil for about 300 miles then I changed over to Amsoil 0w40. Now I change the oil once a year. The truck is a garage queen with not to many miles on it but all the posts on this site about lifter and cam failure I did not want to take to any chances.

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Skates15,

I'm in Central instead of Northern Minnesota, but in climate zone 5. I had some of the same questions when I first got my 2018 RAM with 5.7L Hemi. After much reading, I settled on Redline 5W-30 for my oil and use Fram Ultra XG2 filters. I have done a remote filter installation, which added 3/4 quart or more to my oil capacity.

I'm using Redline for the usual reasons members of this forum suggest it - a 'stickier' base oil and high moly. It is pricey, but if it keeps the engine running . . . I use the 5W-30 because I found that 5W-20 oils (including Redline) are too volatile, and I had measurable oil loss between changes. With 5W-30 Redline, I use almost no oil in my target range of 5K to 6K between changes. My truck's at about 93K today and running fine. I'll be switching to snow tires this week ;).

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I picked up my truck the end of March, and as of yesterday I have about 2700 miles on it which comes to ~400 miles per month. Even though it's my daily driver, I live rural so the most mileage it gets on an average day is maybe 10, with another 100 miles per month driving back and forth a couple times to "town" for groceries and beer...especially the beer. :cheers:

My manual says to change the oil every 12 months, or 8000 miles, or 350 engine hours - whichever comes first. Apparently I'll hit the 12-month point in March before the other two parameters, and at that time I will have about 5000 miles on it. I'll do my first oil change at that time.

Last edited: