Output / Reliability per $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Faker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys, just registered less than 2 minutes ago cause I had a question and figured this forum would have some fairly knowledgeable people. :)

Will be going to buy a RAM here within the next couple of weeks and I'm not sure if I just want to get the 5.7 or if I want to throw out some extra money and pick up a 6.7

How much power can you reliably get out of the 5.7L hemi? Even 500-600 horses? How much would it cost (Approx. 5-10k? 10-15k?)

Would I be better off getting the 6.7L? I know the Cummins 6.7L and 5.9L are great engines and are crazy reliable.. Just don't know if it would end up costing me an arm and a leg in the long run... I know upfront and maintenance costs more for the Diesel, but as far as upgrades to performance, I'm clueless.

TL;DR is it more worth it (which is most bang for buck) to get the 6.7L or the 5.7L if I want to lift it and have fairly high HP

Numnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You are not comparing apples to apples. Are you looking for a 1500?
1500 doesn't come with a Cummins.
Do you want horse power or torque?
Towing or going fast?

OP
OP
F

Faker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sorry, not very good at making questions clear.

If it's a gasser, I'll probably get 1500, MAYBE, 2500. (If I'm modding anyways, would the 6.4 be the better gasser, or stick to the 5.7?)
If it's the Diesel, I'll get 3500 or 4500.

I want the truck to have great pick up and good speed considering it's a truck, I want it to be able to turn big tires/wheels without struggling, I don't plan on burning any amount of rubber unless I throw an old pair on for the sole purpose, but If I want to put the pedal to the floor, I want the truck to be able to break traction and burn those ****ers to the rim. I don't plan on hauling huge flatbeds full of wet hay bales, but if I hook on to an enclosed trailer like http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUwWDEwMDA=/z/l74AAOSw44BYNRrh/$_35.JPG with a 4 wheeler or two inside, I don't want the truck to feel like it's working to go down the highway on a slight grade.

I want a good all around powerful, fairly fast truck, without needing to spend an extra 25-40k on it after getting it from the dealership.

bhonshell42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can get the 1500 with the ecodiesel

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

bhonshell42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, just registered less than 2 minutes ago cause I had a question and figured this forum would have some fairly knowledgeable people. :)

Will be going to buy a RAM here within the next couple of weeks and I'm not sure if I just want to get the 5.7 or if I want to throw out some extra money and pick up a 6.7

How much power can you reliably get out of the 5.7L hemi? Even 500-600 horses? How much would it cost (Approx. 5-10k? 10-15k?)

Would I be better off getting the 6.7L? I know the Cummins 6.7L and 5.9L are great engines and are crazy reliable.. Just don't know if it would end up costing me an arm and a leg in the long run... I know upfront and maintenance costs more for the Diesel, but as far as upgrades to performance, I'm clueless.

TL;DR is it more worth it (which is most bang for buck) to get the 6.7L or the 5.7L if I want to lift it and have fairly high HP
Lookup the site- Cumminshub. The site gives information about planning an upgrade on the 6.7 or 5.9. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would get the old Ram, when they first came out with the HO Cummins. Those engines are to so easily upgraded and you could get one of those for a song these days. They made it a lot harder to build the newer ones and it sounds like everything you would do would void the warranty anyhow, so why not get an old Ram? That is what I would do, and I even am thinking in heading that direction after I use up my 4 gen. Check TDR website pose the same question over there.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The best bang for the buck will be a diesel. New or old, it's easier and cheaper to make power with those vs. a gas engine.

A 2500 with a 6.7L only really needs a good free flowing intake, a DPF delete with freer flowing exhaust and a programmer.

OP
OP
F

Faker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would get the old Ram, when they first came out with the HO Cummins. Those engines are to so easily upgraded and you could get one of those for a song these days. They made it a lot harder to build the newer ones and it sounds like everything you would do would void the warranty anyhow, so why not get an old Ram? That is what I would do, and I even am thinking in heading that direction after I use up my 4 gen. Check TDR website pose the same question over there.

I'd probably be getting a 2013 or so anyways, new enough to feel new, old enough to probably not have much of a warranty left anyways.

and Thanks MADDOG, I wasn't sure if Diesels cost a fortune to modify or not... But I did know things like DPF/EGR deletes make them run better and get better mpg

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My neighbor just did the DPF delete, exhaust and tuner. It cost about $2200 all in and that sumbitch is a beast.

We went for a drive and while he got on it he was kinda babying it. He still has the Transforce hockey puck tires on it and I guess he wasn't sure just how to handle it turning them over.

He asked me if I wanted to drive it...well, Hell Yeah! I put it in manual mode, got it up to about 30 in 2nd and nailed it. Smoky, noisy, sideways trucks are awesome. hehehehe...

So yeah...it's amazing what that small amount of money and work can do. A true build on that engine can turn it into a monster. Kinda makes me wish I had gotten a Cummins instead of the 6.4L if for nothing else than having another diesel beast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990