Ram Airbox Intake Tube Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I posted part of this in the HD forum recently, but this is a more comprehensive write-up on the mod.

Got the idea from a post of another forum. I don't want to **** of the mods by posting links to other Ram sites, but if you Google "Ram airbox intake tube mod" it's pretty much the first hit. Decided since I have already done a full exhaust, tune and TB on my 6.4, it would be worth a shot.

Basically you cut a 3" hole in the bottom of the air box and run a flex tube from it to the front of the truck somewhere. Some people have tried to use 4" hose but that would be insanely tight IMO. Highly recommend buying a 3" hole saw as it makes the job much easier. A cheap one is about $10 or so online, and well worth the time and aggravation it saves.

Used a 3" adapter from Spectre.
8148 - Spectre Performance Products, Air Duct Mounting Plate
Ram2500AirboxMod1_zpsvaaajc4n.jpg
Ram2500AirboxMod2_zpscdsmhm1o.jpg

Originally just use some aluminum 3" dryer flex tube but then decided to go a little something a little more robust. I would recommend against the cheap dryer tubing as it comes apart and punctures pretty easily.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3620
Along with an air scoop.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3623

Basically you mount it up front in the grill area to catch some clean/cool air. I bought 6' of the air duct hose but really only use about half that, so 3' would be perfect IMO. I drilled another 3" hole in the plastic shroud between the radiator and headlamp in an area that wouldn't be blocked by the Ram grill crosshairs. To remove the grill you need to remove the top shroud first, then the grill is held in with 4 10mm bolts up top and some cheap push-type retainers on the side.

Ram2500AirboxMod3_zpstq7wyobr.jpg
Ram2500AirboxMod4_zpsxdqrvtx9.jpg

This is what you see looking through the wheel well and under the hood.
Ram2500AirboxMod5_zps5ojbrcwt.jpg
Ram2500AirboxMod6_zpskasydtdd.jpg

A word of caution on the stock grill fasteners, they break easy!!! 3 out of the 4 broke the first time I removed the grill. Since I didn't have any stock replacements on hand, I used some 25/64 Christmas tree retainers instead. Honestly I think they work better than the stock junk.

Ram2500AirboxMod7_zpsi4dipmau.jpg

So, total approximate cost:
Neoprene Air Hose, 3': $15
Air Scoop: $19
3" adapter: $5
3" hole saw: $10
Clamps, screws: $10

So for about $60 total it's a cheap mod by about any standard. I'd swear it helps but without doing some timed runs that's hard to prove. Considering the single snorkel leading into the fender, which is partially blocked anyway, I'd say it's worth the effort.

Last edited:

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
This has already been done by me and thad. Instead we used 4" hose. Also this can only be done on 13-up trucks i think because they are the only ones with the piece in the grill for mounting the hose.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep, I knew it had been done by many others already. Just my interpretation on the mod. Don't know how you made a 4" hose work in there, it's pretty tight as is.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I did mine, similar to yours, I installed a small screen just inside the box where the tube fit on, just to keep anything from coming into the box--bugs or other type crap. Check the screen every now and then to make sure it didn't clog. Sure was a lot cheaper than those high dollar after market CAI's.
Jay

Reactions: SyN

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
same concept as the 3rd gen hemis with the Vararam Hemi Under Glass Intake setup

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yep, I knew it had been done by many others already. Just my interpretation on the mod. Don't know how you made a 4" hose work in there, it's pretty tight as is.

Its a 4" dryer hose which is closer to 4.5". Idk the difference in clearance between a 2500 and 1500. Its a pita for sure.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Installing my K&N CAI & am not finding the humidity sensor on my 2016 2500. Something is plugged in just after the throttle body but am not finding the humidity sensor on the intake tube. There is the air temp sensor & crank vent tube & that's it. Anyone else dealing with this?

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Installing my K&N CAI & am not finding the humidity sensor on my 2016 2500. Something is plugged in just after the throttle body but am not finding the humidity sensor on the intake tube. There is the air temp sensor & crank vent tube & that's it. Anyone else dealing with this?

After looking at the instructions closer I see where the "humidity sensor" is supposed to be. I can actually see a seam where it used to be on my air box. I put in a letter to K&N to see if they have a blank to put into this void or if they are engineering a new tube.
First pic is my air box, second one is a picture off of the instructions, third the void on K&N's, fourth pics on the instructions of how it used to be.
I could fab something but I think it should be K&N's job to do that.

Attachments

• Stock 6.4L Air Box.jpg
    Stock 6.4L Air Box.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 375
  • Air Box Photo.jpg
    Air Box Photo.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 283
  • humidity sensor void.jpg
    humidity sensor void.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 327
  • humidity sensor pics.jpg
    humidity sensor pics.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 406
OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's funny, does look like they either omitted or relocated it on the 2016 trucks.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I posted part of this in the HD forum recently, but this is a more comprehensive write-up on the mod.

Got the idea from a post of another forum. I don't want to **** of the mods by posting links to other Ram sites, but if you Google "Ram airbox intake tube mod" it's pretty much the first hit. Decided since I have already done a full exhaust, tune and TB on my 6.4, it would be worth a shot.

Basically you cut a 3" hole in the bottom of the air box and run a flex tube from it to the front of the truck somewhere. Some people have tried to use 4" hose but that would be insanely tight IMO. Highly recommend buying a 3" hole saw as it makes the job much easier. A cheap one is about $10 or so online, and well worth the time and aggravation it saves.

Used a 3" adapter from Spectre.

8148 - Spectre Performance Products, Air Duct Mounting Plate

Ram2500AirboxMod1_zpsvaaajc4n.jpg

Ram2500AirboxMod2_zpscdsmhm1o.jpg

Originally just use some aluminum 3" dryer flex tube but then decided to go a little something a little more robust. I would recommend against the cheap dryer tubing as it comes apart and punctures pretty easily.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3620

Along with an air scoop.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3623

Basically you mount it up front in the grill area to catch some clean/cool air. I bought 6' of the air duct hose but really only use about half that, so 3' would be perfect IMO. I drilled another 3" hole in the plastic shroud between the radiator and headlamp in an area that wouldn't be blocked by the Ram grill crosshairs. To remove the grill you need to remove the top shroud first, then the grill is held in with 4 10mm bolts up top and some cheap push-type retainers on the side.

Ram2500AirboxMod3_zpstq7wyobr.jpg

Ram2500AirboxMod4_zpsxdqrvtx9.jpg

This is what you see looking through the wheel well and under the hood.

Ram2500AirboxMod5_zps5ojbrcwt.jpg

Ram2500AirboxMod6_zpskasydtdd.jpg

A word of caution on the stock grill fasteners, they break easy!!! 3 out of the 4 broke the first time I removed the grill. Since I didn't have any stock replacements on hand, I used some 25/64 Christmas tree retainers instead. Honestly I think they work better than the stock junk.

Ram2500AirboxMod7_zpsi4dipmau.jpg

So, total approximate cost:

Neoprene Air Hose, 3': $15

Air Scoop: $19

3" adapter: $5

3" hole saw: $10

Clamps, screws: $10

So for about $60 total it's a cheap mod by about any standard. I'd swear it helps but without doing some timed runs that's hard to prove. Considering the single snorkel leading into the fender, which is partially blocked anyway, I'd say it's worth the effort.

Looks like your truck is a HD, will the same deal work on a 1500

If so where do I cut into?
e4b16b6e7b55c783ec4af3d80c0a2eee.jpg

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Looks like your truck is a HD, will the same deal work on a 1500

If so where do I cut into?
e4b16b6e7b55c783ec4af3d80c0a2eee.jpg

You know that new black hose you ran, the smooth PVC stuff?
That PVC stuff goes from the throttle body to the air box, over by the passenger side fender. Take all that apart and get teh bottom of that sair box, out of the truck.

As it sits, in teh truck, looking from teh passenger side fender. top right corner of the box is where you drill.

pics can be seen here. I did not do the snorkel in the grill piece, on my mod. I did my mod awhile back adn am seriously thinking the scoop is going on this SPring, once it warms up a bit more.

here is my post aobut this mod.

http://www.ramforum.com/f17/gofishn...ed_build_thread-83021/index2.html#post1260399.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
With a scoop in the grill like this MOD shows, are there any worries of water entering the intake when it rains?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Any water through the grill/scoop wouldn't be an issue unless you block the fender opening. Even then, I don't see how any significant amount of rain water would ever make it into the airbox. It would have to travel vertically into the box after making it through 3' of hose first.

The Hellcat Challengers have a headlamp ram air setup, doesn't seem to pose a problem.