slight hard downshift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacobw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500
Engine
hemi 5.7
New to the site but notice alot or positive feedback. I have a new 2016 ram 1500 2wd 5.7 with a 8 speed transmission and I have noticed a slight hard downshift when coming to a stop at lights when driving around town. Also notice it sometime after you have completely stopped and go to take off again at first shift. Anyone else notice this? Vehicle only has 8700 miles. Any help or thought is appreciated thanks

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
New to the site but notice alot or positive feedback. I have a new 2016 ram 1500 2wd 5.7 with a 8 speed transmission and I have noticed a slight hard downshift when coming to a stop at lights when driving around town. Also notice it sometime after you have completely stopped and go to take off again at first shift. Anyone else notice this? Vehicle only has 8700 miles. Any help or thought is appreciated thanks

I’d be happy to look for a TSB if you DM me your VIN. If this is consistent, I’d also recommend bringing it to the dealer for diagnosis. – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. With my last truck 14' Lonestar CC it would have a final jolt right as you stopped. It was bizarre. It seemed like I had that issue pretty much from when I bought the truck.

Now with my new truck (2016 Sport RCSB) I have not noticed the issue.... yet.

Also, with my 14' I had several instances where I would go WOT getting onto the highway or go WOT while trying to make a pass on the highway and the downshift was extremely violent. Chirping tires violent....

In my previous manual tranny vehicles (both in my previous cars motorcycles) I rev match when I downshift. So I never experience a jerk. I don't think the truck does a rev match and even if it does it probably, it is not a very good one. Especially from a big jump I.E. 6th gear down to 3rd or even 8th down to 3rd. The jump in RPMs is far greater than just dropping down 1 gear thus the rev match needs to be bigger (spanning a larger RPM band).

That is what I attribute the brutal downshifts at speed when going to WOT.