Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright fella’s I’m back, sort of, more time at least to do what I want now, but I did a thing. Got a smoking deal on a 2500, so I need y’all to tell me everything I need to know about the 6.4 Hemi! Please! Filter, oil, additives, does anyone make a damn catch can for this thing yet? 661104603331271c9f06a4a13d8fc8d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome back so are you a certified pilot Sir ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
March 23rd I get my wings. But only 3 tests and 5 flights left.

Thanks for all the input guys, think I’ll give the Amsoil SS 0W-40 a try as it’s 5W-30 brother has done really well in both the 5.7’s. Wife’s Durango is super quiet all the time.

I needed more truck, and I got almost $19k off this one, so I’m actually saving money! I guess no one wants a 6.4 with 4.10 gears except me! LOL

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
You will love the 4:10’s. If you go taller tires you will need 4:56’s to get your towing torque back. Just as a side not, pay attention to your startup noises, cold idle noises, and warm idle noises.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
March 23rd I get my wings. But only 3 tests and 5 flights left.

Thanks for all the input guys, think I’ll give the Amsoil SS 0W-40 a try as it’s 5W-30 brother has done really well in both the 5.7’s. Wife’s Durango is super quiet all the time.

I needed more truck, and I got almost $19k off this one, so I’m actually saving money! I guess no one wants a 6.4 with 4.10 gears except me! LOL

The Amsoil SS is a different formula than before . Not quite as robust a before but probably still a good choice for your 6.4L .

Early congrats on your Wings Sir ! And a big thank you Sir for your continued service to our Great Country !

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You will love the 4:10’s. If you go taller tires you will need 4:56’s to get your towing torque back. Just as a side not, pay attention to your startup noises, cold idle noises, and warm idle noises.

Anything in particular I should look out for? Hopefully Rampant will chime in with his experience.

Tires are on the list, but they will stay the same size, maybe an AT. Not planning on going too crazy! (As I wait for about 12 packages of stuff to show up! LMAO!)

Any other good mods to do?

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I don’t want to argue but I don’t think we know enough about the new Amsoil ss formulation yet. I still don’t like it but i think we should give it a chance

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don’t want to argue but I don’t think we know enough about the new Amsoil ss formulation yet. I still don’t like it but i think we should give it a chance

I’ll be a guinea pig, they threw in a 6 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty. Guess they really wanted it gone! Hahahaha

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry I’ve been so absent these last few months, this class is a killer 14 hour days at work with 4 more hours of study at home! Almost done!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anything in particular I should look out for? Hopefully Rampant will chime in with his experience.

Tires are on the list, but they will stay the same size, maybe an AT. Not planning on going too crazy! (As I wait for about 12 packages of stuff to show up! LMAO!)

Rampant has had very good luck on Amsoil 30 wt , I believe he has recently moved to a mixture of Amsoil 30 & 40 wt oil with MoS2 Molybdenum additive .

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Im only into practical mods now so it depends on what you plan to do with the truck. Bumper pulls, 5th wheels, bro truck...

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Im only into practical mods now so it depends on what you plan to do with the truck. Bumper pulls, 5th wheels, bro truck...
I'm going full show and go and blow(your ears out) truck. What mods should I do? :anitoof:

Sent from my magic 5-inch

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

aae2547c90d801610e24b89b505374ab.jpg

Mainly hauling this bad boy around, and might add a smaller gooseneck down the line. Not into huge lifts or obnoxious tires, it for me. Practical is more my speed now.

So far:
DeeZee Tailgate assist
Bestop Bumper Step (Leftover from 1500)
Tractor Supply Tool Box (Leftover from 1500)
Dash Mat(Leftover from 1500)
Stingy Antenna
DeeZee NXT Running Boards (Ol’ Lady is 5’3”)
Softopper
Ram Factory Rubber Mud-flaps
Amazon Led Light strips for bed
Tow Mirror Light Mod

Looking for B&W Stow and Tow Hitch, and the Gooseneck ball kit for factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck prep, AVS vent Visors, and BugFlector II

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

Rampant has had very good luck on Amsoil 30 wt , I believe he has recently moved to a mixture of Amsoil 30 & 40 wt oil with MoS2 Molybdenum additive .

Congrats on the wings! I know that's a grueling course.

On my Ram, I've used 0W-40 SS from day one. It's quiet. As far as the motor... mine took a while to come into it's own. I (as well as many others) feel there is some sort of limiting software until you get around 5-6k miles on it. You'll feel it.

Many guys, myself included, have experienced "puffs" of smoke on startup during break-in. Mine did it probably 5 or 6 times before 5k. No discernible oil usage.

The catch can on the 6.4 is doable, but you'd have to drill into your intake and thread a fitting in because it's all internal. I wouldn't have a problem doing that if I had to pull it off for something else, but obviously you don't want to do it with the intake on the truck. I haven't really looked into it too much myself, but there is a guy over in the HD threads who is building a 6.4 right now for a project.

You're going to find that there isn't much aftermarket available for the Ram 6.4 out there. A few intakes are out now. When I did mine, K&N was the only one available but I didn't want the wet filter. I found an Amsoil dry filter and sock with the same dimensions and put that on with the rest of the K&N kit. S&B and maybe AEM have kits out now, I believe.

@RLK, the 30-40 wt mix with MOS2 is in my Yukon.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
35dfba0df181cfa7ed5f47dbf9aa5551.jpg

Here is how she sits now, waiting on stuff to show up! LoL

How do you like the Softopper? I love mine. I only use it when I travel long distance, especially with my dog, but it works really well.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Congrats on the wings! I know that's a grueling course.

Thanks brother, a lot different than Maintenance for the first 13 years! But a good change.

Thanks for the update on the truck. I will take it easy on it till 5-6k. When did you do the first oil change?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How do you like the Softopper? I love mine. I only use it when I travel long distance, especially with my dog, but it works really well.

So far so good, got it for $400, basically new, guy only used it for a month and didn’t like it, so I lucked out. Easy to set up and take off, I’ll probably leave it off most the time.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Thanks brother, a lot different than Maintenance for the first 13 years! But a good change.

Thanks for the update on the truck. I will take it easy on it till 5-6k. When did you do the first oil change?

Without looking, I think it was around 1500 miles.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
So far so good, got it for $400, basically new, guy only used it for a month and didn’t like it, so I lucked out. Easy to set up and take off, I’ll probably leave it off most the time.

That's a helluva deal. Does it have the roll-up front window corresponding with the truck slider window? That makes it great if you have a dog. How about the rear screen window? It definitely helps in the summer for ventilation because it gets sweltering under all that black vinyl.