2004 Ram 1500 slt 5.7l hemi oil change and passenger side exhaust manifold replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brando83scott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read so many reviews with so many different aspects towards alot of different directions... as an everyday driver... my workhorse... 1 owner before me... I want to say I have felt the difference in hp as well as tq using royal purple... I have had to unfortunately use regular unleaded fuel so on this oil change I'm thinking... Royal Purple HMX High Mileage 5w20 Oil with a k&n oil filter... then add redline complete fuel system cleaner to the fuel tank for added cleaning on the valves etc. I am also having to replace the exhaust manifold as the back 2 bolts keep breaking... leads me to think since I haul alot of weight all the time the manifold has possibly warped... I don't want headers as it will change the sound... I want to get the ceramic coated manifold... thoughts???

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
IIRC the 2004 called for 5w30 oil to be used not 5w20 as called for in newer Hemi engines and personally have never had any brand of oil that gave me a feel of increase in HO or TQ....

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, the suggestion (requirement) for 89 octane fuel is not about clean but rather stable fuel.

Diesel engine combustion explodes without a spark plug to ignite it based on engine operating temperature and high compression ratio. *boom The same with a *clunk *clunk *clunk pile driver on a construction site.

Reciprocating aircraft engines are high compression ratio as are race cars. They require higher octane fuel, more stable fuel, LESS explosive fuel.

Our HEMI is a little higher compression engine than a Toyota Camry and therefore benefits from more stable fuel... BUT, the PCM computer can find a solution to 'deal with' lower octane fuel by retarding the spark plug timing advance.

... at the cost of MPG

If mid grade fuel is not available at your service station, you can hand mix HiTest and Ethyl
At a mid-grade pump, that is all they are doing. The station only has two auto fuel tanks in the ground and then mixes the two together to obtain the octane rating you desire.

Anything more than 89 octane is just wasting money.

The computer needs time to realize and re-calculate to improve your mpg efficiency. It is probably not going to happen within a tank or two, rather gradually. Accurately check your MPG by math, not the guestimate on the overhead console.

I hope this helps you.

Please return and tell how this information worked for you, what you find, and how you eventually fix your vehicle (even if it is that you brought it to a mechanic / dealership for repair)
It is your feedback and final repair report that will make these forums useful to others in the future.
Many times I search and find the same exact fault that I am having, someone suggests how to fix it, the patron follows the suggestion and then never returns to say YEA! or NAY...

The forum thread just goes dead because the person fixed their fault and has not a care to offer the answer anymore. Please don't be that guy.

Cheers!

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read so many reviews with so many different aspects towards alot of different directions... as an everyday driver... my workhorse... 1 owner before me... I want to say I have felt the difference in hp as well as tq using royal purple... I have had to unfortunately use regular unleaded fuel so on this oil change I'm thinking... Royal Purple HMX High Mileage 5w20 Oil with a k&n oil filter... then add redline complete fuel system cleaner to the fuel tank for added cleaning on the valves etc. I am also having to replace the exhaust manifold as the back 2 bolts keep breaking... leads me to think since I haul alot of weight all the time the manifold has possibly warped... I don't want headers as it will change the sound... I want to get the ceramic coated manifold... thoughts???
I think That I have found a sure fire solution to the broken manifold bolts. Here is what I did to solve my problem: I took both manifolds to a machine shop and had them re-surfaced. These were the original manifolds on an engine with about 150,000 Km on it. That was 3 years ago and no problem since.
The problem with the manifolds is that when they are put on a new engine at the factory, the cast is still "fresh" .... often referred to as "green cast iron." Over time, with the thermal cycling, the internal stresses are slowly relieved and often when the manifolds are removed, they are clearly warped. A new manifold won't solve the problem but a manifold with a hundred thousand miles on it that has been machined will likely end the warpage problem.
Hope this helps.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, the suggestion (requirement) for 89 octane fuel is not about clean but rather stable fuel.

Diesel engine combustion explodes without a spark plug to ignite it based on engine operating temperature and high compression ratio. *boom The same with a *clunk *clunk *clunk pile driver on a construction site.

Reciprocating aircraft engines are high compression ratio as are race cars. They require higher octane fuel, more stable fuel, LESS explosive fuel.

Our HEMI is a little higher compression engine than a Toyota Camry and therefore benefits from more stable fuel... BUT, the PCM computer can find a solution to 'deal with' lower octane fuel by retarding the spark plug timing advance.

... at the cost of MPG

If mid grade fuel is not available at your service station, you can hand mix HiTest and Ethyl
At a mid-grade pump, that is all they are doing. The station only has two auto fuel tanks in the ground and then mixes the two together to obtain the octane rating you desire.

Anything more than 89 octane is just wasting money.

The computer needs time to realize and re-calculate to improve your mpg efficiency. It is probably not going to happen within a tank or two, rather gradually. Accurately check your MPG by math, not the guestimate on the overhead console.

I hope this helps you.

Please return and tell how this information worked for you, what you find, and how you eventually fix your vehicle (even if it is that you brought it to a mechanic / dealership for repair)
It is your feedback and final repair report that will make these forums useful to others in the future.
Many times I search and find the same exact fault that I am having, someone suggests how to fix it, the patron follows the suggestion and then never returns to say YEA! or NAY...

The forum thread just goes dead because the person fixed their fault and has not a care to offer the answer anymore. Please don't be that guy.

Cheers!
Reciprocating aircraft engines are not "high compression" except for the odd few models. They are designed to run on 100LL and with a high compression they would experience detonation. I have owned several airplanes that were powered by Continental engines ........... the C/R was 7.0:1

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357