Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The right gas treatment with ethanol? The rub on ethanol is it can contain water, the white paper has of one piece of metal treated with s1-1 and one not. Rust inhibitor, PEA, and upper cylinder lube.

USE DIRECTIONS Initially use one bottle to a fuel tank and fill with fuel to achieve rapid cleanup. The treatment can be reduced on subsequent fillups to 1/3-1/6 oz per gallon (one bottle to 50-100 gallons) to provide continual injector and valve cleanliness. The detergents and antioxidants help prevent the formation of gum and varnish in gasoline, and the rust inhibitors prevent corrosion. Red Line SI-1 will not damage fuel system components and the combustion by-products do not cause corrosion of engine bearings as can many fuel additives.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I poached this of RF, looks like a DI friendly formula.

Why do we like QSUD? Moly is decent, but....

full

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I poached this of RF, looks like a DI friendly formula.

Why do we like QSUD? Moly is decent, but....

full
QSUD changed along the way, this might be the new version.

The old version had better zinc and phos numbers along with the moly. I have about 20 quarts of the old version (half 5-20 and half 5-30} which I will use soon for my hemi.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Do we know what part of the lifter failed ?
I feel like the needle bearings ate mostly the problem as it would not take much dirt or lack of oil to affect them.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do we know what part of the lifter failed ?
I feel like the needle bearings ate mostly the problem as it would not take much dirt or lack of oil to affect them.
Pretty sure that's what is happening. I think they proved it over on the z forum. Needle bearings are fickle enough, then starve them of oil for one reason or another and it's just an accident waiting to happen.

The one way bearing on my RC trucks is a needle bearing and requires a decent amount of upkeep and lubrication from the spent nitro fuel otherwise the needles end up in pieces. Some are internal to the engine, so you can imagine what happens if needle pieces start flying around at 12k rpm.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The lifter that failed in that thread I posted earlier was a non MDS lifter. So there goes that theory...

I never subscribed that the mds had anything to do with it myself. MDS lifts as a bar over 4 lifters on each side, it the mds was the culrpit, you would see 4 lobs wiped? It is sticky lifters imo until someone can prove different. Which means an oil formula should have film strength in multiple ways (additives and visc) plus heavy detergency. Hmm, sounds like PUP 0w40?

Sorry if any *****'s think that is a PUP commercial, well not really.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sad but true, but hey Redline also happens to have the same characteristics maybe even better then PUP. I forgot, both clean starting base oils. Another argument for at least running synthetic oil. So fixed that for you.

But, my point really was the oil developed by FCA for hemi, they knew what they were doing. Maybe you will still have Cam fails, but at least try to use an oil similar to what they were trying to do with PuP 0w40. Best chance at avoiding a problem? I would even look at additives if I was stuck on a brand not like PUP or Redline.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Another thing I have been kicking around with PEA usage, is there such a thing as too much? I wonder what PEA does in the oil. Another reason I really hope blackstone didn't loose my sample. PEA in every tank and the oil smelled much different. Usually detergents means wear (exception is PUP) but I have no idea what PEA is going to my internals. Another worry, lol. I was already considering lowering it to 1/3 or 1/4 bottle every tank anyway.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another thing I have been kicking around with PEA usage, is there such a thing as too much? I wonder what PEA does in the oil. Another reason I really hope blackstone didn't loose my sample. PEA in every tank and the oil smelled much different. Usually detergents means wear (exception is PUP) but I have no idea what PEA is going to my internals. Another worry, lol.
I may be wrong , but at a minimum I think it would dilute the ( the good stuff )in oil a bit .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's a balancing act, like everything else. There is always such a thing as too much. Well, maybe I should consider doing more uoa's, fawk!.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonter if too much highly potent detergents in PEA fule system cleaners could scrubb off zinc , phophorus and Molybdenum plate ? Especially without an OCC ...

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
So, guys[but not rat450 and his clones], I wanted to run something by you.

Without getting into exact numbers, amounts, percentages, and ratios, but also disregarding the gub'ment's limits on oils, what would the theoretically BEST oil be made out of, and what additives and generally how much on a scale of 1-10 would be in it?

Said oil will be produced in 0w-25w rating and 20-60wt[so, all of them, lol], with as many cross-weights for cold and hot as possible, and it will be an 'all around' oil meant for any/all kinds of gasoline/e85/e90 engines[including the seemingly infamous DI turbo stuff].

A separate oil would be formulated for diesels, but we won't get into that RN because I don't want to go over diesel theoretics and oils and **** since there's even MORE **** poor excuses for regulation on them.

So yeah, what would the theoretically 'best' all around motor oil be for petrol engines, in general terms?

{{So far, I've garnered PAO/Ester base with a ****load of moly, zinc, and calcium that has epic wear numbers, a high HTHS rating, few/no VII's, and lots of TBN is 'where it's at' so to speak.}}

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You've almost completely answered your own question [emoji106][emoji106]

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
You've almost completely answered your own question [emoji106][emoji106]

THEN WHAT AM I MISSING!! :D :D

{{Also, for some reason, I'm thinking some mineral oils could be added to the base to perhaps make it more stable or wear/shear resistant?? Or is this literally asstalk?}}

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Make it simpler, what can we add to Redline to make it better? What didn't they cover? It would have to be application specific, so let's say just for the hemi. Did they lower the quality by being more pao/ester then POE? Taking out some of the moly? How about moving to TN moly. Base oil is 85% of the formula, can group 3 really compete?

Is Drunken Hammy stirring the pot this AM?

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Make it simpler, how or what can we add to Redline to make it better? What didn't they cover? It would have to be application specific, so let's say just for the hemi.

Is Drunken Hammy stirring the pot this AM?

I have no idea, I'm just putting together what I've picked up here. I haven't done any actual research. Hell, I don't even know what "PAO" stands for. Just trying to stimulate an idea.

Wait, ****, what's "POE"!?