For those thinking about a catch can....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
....yeah, you guys, on the fence!

100_5366_zps33455a8f.jpg

I know my truck is a decade older than y'alls trucks, but I've been seeing a lot of catch can stuff here in the 4th gen section. The above picture is of my homemade-rigged Kobalt catch can. That oil build up is 110 mi of mostly highway driving.

That crap is what goes into your intake manifold. I know for a fact my PCV hose on the other side of the can is cleaner than it used to be.

Just some food for thought guys.:sparta:

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im just worried about long term effects. Will it prolong the life of ur engine? Does the engine still performs as good as the day it came from the dealer? Does it void any warrenty?

I seen lots of people picture the slug that comes from their catch can, but engineers have tested these engines to last well over 100k miles without one and I just want to know if its worth it.

****** from a guy that questions everything******

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
long term effects would be a much cleaner engine and intake manifold. no more sludge going into the engine

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I debated..............too long, then got one and wont look back.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Im just worried about long term effects. Will it prolong the life of ur engine? Does the engine still performs as good as the day it came from the dealer? Does it void any warrenty?

I seen lots of people picture the slug that comes from their catch can, but engineers have tested these engines to last well over 100k miles without one and I just want to know if its worth it.

they still leave room for parts to BLOW up so you have to buy new..... everything has a purpose to them.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I haven't pulled my air cleaner lately, but last time I did, my intake was much cleaner than before I put it in.

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just installed one this weekend in our 2012 QuadCab.

We drove from San Antonio to Dallas (about 288mi) up IH35.

I was shocked how much crap was in the can when I checked it.
I need to measure it, but it looks to be about 1/8" in the bottom of the Billet Tech Can.

We have made this trip a few times and usually average 19.1MPG, but this first trip with the can we averaged 19.5MPG.
And as usual, we used the cruise control as much as possible.

I know this is not a scientific test, but this is also the first time we have ever hit 19.5MPG.

Perhaps just a freakish coincidence,
but I will continue to monitor.

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I agree that they are designing cars and trucks nowadays to last 4-5 years. They wanna keep you buying them. Not sell you a vehicle that's gonna last a couple hundred thousand miles. Its very apparent in new diesel motors. Most of which would be bullet proof but all the epa garbage on them seem the be where most issues lie. If you were to address every issue, then your warranty is gonna be iffy but your motors probably better for it.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've heard of these but I'm unclear where they go and how they work. Anyone have a link to more info or wanna fill in the blanks?

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you're thinking about it:
DO IT

The only evidence you need is the picture I posted and Johnny's testimonial.

I haven't seen an MPG increase out of mine, but I just like the peace of mind knowing that my engine isn't sucking oil down its throat.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I did the same, wondering if the sludge wasn't meant to lubricate, or cool something? I couldn't find any info anywhere, so I bought & installed my Moroso can to keep that crap out of the head. I feel better now, and wish I had done it day 1.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all of the info. But one more concern. Im at 12k miles with my truck...havent switched over to royal purple yet.....so if the catch can grabs the **** that is invthe engine....do I have to monitor how much oil Iis Iin the engine?

basically, if im checking it every 1k miles, and draining the catch can, dont I have to replace the oil im removing.

all of my questions are coming from a guy (me) that has never changed oil in a car/truck ( one day i will do that) and if I want my truck to last me a long time ( 150k miles +) I just want to know my truck inside and out and do whats best for it.... not just to spend money, but to treat it as an investment.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The oil that the catch can collects would otherwise be burning off in your intake manifold anyways. That oil does not get recirculated back into your oil pan. While the can will collect oil as you drive, it does not catch enough for you to be concerned with running your motor dry.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^Yep.

And if it does catch enough for you to be concerned, you likely have a problem. lol

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Just ordered mine today from Matt @ Moes Performance! Cant wait to get it and install it and share my own reviews! Went with a Billet catch can!

ihnken33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have mine from Matt as well, and I haven't installed mine yet as I had family in town for the last week and I had to go to classes... I need to find time soon to get this done. Once I do, I'll feel alot better.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked my catch can every 3500Km for the first while after installing it, and now just leave it for my 5K oil change intervals.
I've never had the oil level change significantly enough over the course of a change interval to require adding more.
This pic is after the first 3100Km. Getting close to a cup of oily crap.

Attachments

• Catch can oil after 3100km.jpg
    Catch can oil after 3100km.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 28