Vararam or s&b Intake ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2015 ram 1500 with 87mm moes ported throttle body arh headers on way as well . Running pedal commandwe with hemi fever tune. What's best with my mods to run, an s&b or vararam ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I've never had the opportunity to check out a Vararam in person but I've seen a few guys mention that they thought it seemed a bit flimsy for the money. I installed a S&B on my 2012 four years ago and I've been pleased with it. Planning to put another one on the 2013 I bought last month.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
vararam,,, some like them others say cheap quality for for the price. others have posted pictures of them full of snow.

S&B, seems they are coming through with gaps in the box and are not air tight.

keep in mind i have neither and there are many folks who are happy with either.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I really like the vararam. I've had no issues and it seals to the hood well. And when you pop the hood people are like damn.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have 2015 ram 1500 with 87mm moes ported throttle body arh headers on way as well . Running pedal commandwe with hemi fever tune. What's best with my mods to run, an s&b or vararam ????

You will likely not like my answer but here goes. You have put a lot of money into your truck to optimize its power. In order to get the right intake, you need to find out how many cubic feet of air the engine is capable of moving with the headers and larger intake. Once you learn that, you can select an intake that has the ability to flow the cubic feet or air the engine is capable of consuming.

Or, just buy the prettiest one :hmm:

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't care what you install, that's simply a great looking truck

Haha thanks it's a work in progress just trying to figure out what works best

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will likely not like my answer but here goes. You have put a lot of money into your truck to optimize its power. In order to get the right intake, you need to find out how many cubic feet of air the engine is capable of moving with the headers and larger intake. Once you learn that, you can select an intake that has the ability to flow the cubic feet or air the engine is capable of consuming.

Or, just buy the prettiest one :hmm:

Thanks thats a good point . Moes performance made mention that vararam makes more power (I'm assuming because it's pulls more air due to its much larger size) so I'm leaning towards that but just trying to get the pros and cons of both. The s&b seems to be more restrictive due to it being enclosed .. I don't see how it pulls more air than stock ....

gremlinsteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are swapping to the vararam intake and ported tb going to require a tune?

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I don't believe so . I'll have Sean at Hemifever look at my log once headers and intake are installed and he will tweak it if need be

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dont waste your money on a cai just buy a supercharger kit, they come with an open filter [emoji41]

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dont waste your money on a cai just buy a supercharger kit, they come with an open filter [emoji41]

Hahahs I wish . That is out of price range for the time being. Lol maybe in 5 years when my warranty runs out

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a great looking truck, where did you get those headlights

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I separated lenses and painted them black and installed a switchback halo kit in them. I could hace had retro shop do them but would have cost me 900 bucks !!! Did them myself for about 350.... Lemme know j could do u a set!

bjohnston0624

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I separated lenses and painted them black and installed a switchback halo kit in them. I could hace had retro shop do them but would have cost me 900 bucks !!! Did them myself for about 350.... Lemme know j could do u a set!

Ya keep then halogen or get a retrofit kit and hid

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought the S&B. Seems to be pretty good quality overall. Haven't been able to get it installed because of rain this weekend.

I was debating between these two intakes myself. I found some threads about poor quality, fitment and rubbing on the vararam.

The S&B doesn't seal well and I've seen some threads here about the lower part of the intake getting loose and making rattling noises.

Neither are perfect.

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run led bulbs and painted the lights myself and wired in the kit myself too . Ordered them off ledconcepts.com

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
Where did you get that hood and what cai did you end up getting?