why shouldn't I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently bought a 7,000+ pound trailer and I'd like to run a little cooler oil and coolant while pulling hills.
I can find/see no problems going with a 190 or a 195 (oem on the tradesman?) Is that small of change even worth doing? I figure running 10-15 degrees at cruising, I'll be lee likely to hit 225 coolant and 255 oil temps.

From what I've read, the 180 may cause a small drop in MPG when not towing and is most beneficial if you have a tune. I do not plan on getting one.

Also it sounds like there is no need to get the Mopar HOAT coolant. The Zerex is compatible and a lot cheaper. I do not plan on doing a coolant flush, but while/if I'm changing the thermostat, I'll drain out all I can and replace with fresh coolant.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm sure you will get better answers than from me, but it is my understanding that changing the thermostat will not be beneficial unless you also have a tuner to change the fan settings. How hot are the oil and coolant temps getting while towing?

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a fan clutch on my 2012 5.7 1500. Not an electric fan. So its not adjustable, right?

I only towed the trailer once, 100 miles home. There's a good size climb on the way home. My coolant went up to I think 220 and the oil climb to 250.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should have an electric as well. If you listen to the sound of the truck by the engine then turn the AC to max go back up front. You should hear an electric fan. 190 is ok to run without a problem. It keeps driving temps down but idling it'll go back up a bit. There's a few posts about it if you search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
220 isn't bad for the temp, these new engines run hotter for better emissions. On the oil getting up to 250, I would just make sure to use a good synthetic oil, like Pennzoil Platinum. I can't remember the exact temps, but most synthetic oils don't start to break down until they get over 300 degrees.

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
220 isn't bad for the temp, these new engines run hotter for better emissions. On the oil getting up to 250, I would just make sure to use a good synthetic oil, like Pennzoil Platinum. I can't remember the exact temps, but most synthetic oils don't start to break down until they get over 300 degrees.

I've used Pennzoil Platinum since I bought the truck with 30k miles

But do you guys think its worth spending the $30 and switching out a 203 thermostat and replacing it with a 195?

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And how come it seems like so many people are using the Mopar HOAT coolant instead of the Zerex HOAT? The Mopar is almost twice the price and requires going to the dealer or buying online.
The 2 are completely interchangeable, right??