2005 rear diff rebuild time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine is whinning on light acceleration. I am looking for info on what everyone uses to rebuild with. It currently doesn't have a limited slip rear end which I'd like to add. Is this a simple process? Are the axles the same? Looking for some guidance here...

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
On your 05, you have multiple options for adding a limited slip unit. The most common are the Auburn Limited Slip and the Detroit TruTrac. The Trutrac is a better built unit that uses a worm gear instaed of clutches which makes it maintenance free. The Auburn is a little quieter and more street friendly though. Aside from that, all you need is a master install kit with new bearings, and you are good to go. You can reuse your current gears, or now would also be the right time to upgrade if you were looking for a set of 4.10's or 4.56's.

OP
OP
chedched

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The build sheet for my truck says it is limited slip. Now I'm seeing pics of "limited slip" diffs that look like open diffs. Are there clutches behind the spider gears?

Last edited:

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
are you planning on doing this yourself? axle setup is quite an art to get right. Ive done mechanical work for a living for several years and I still dont feel comfortable doing it.

OP
OP
chedched

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No, I work at a Toyota dealership but have a great tech who works here. His dad and him both own Rams. He rebuilt my Dakota diff with no issues.

Does anyone know of a pic of the carrier torn apart? I'm wondering how they work. The clutch packs for the limited slip must be behind the spider gears??

OP
OP
chedched

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you look at pics of a limited slip rear diff, there are no springs or clutches visible.
This is the confusing part for me.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
The build sheet for my truck says it is limited slip. Now I'm seeing pics of "limited slip" diffs that look like open diffs. Are there clutches behind the spider gears?

Pop the cover and check, there should be springs and clutch packs.

My '03 Dakota build sheet said it had a 8.25 Corp rear axle... But it had the 9.25 installed from the factory.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
Hell yeah, I had a powertrax no-slip in my 03 Dakota for 10 years and it works awesome.

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine still has the tag on the axle tube that says 3.92 limited slip. Does yours still have it?

OP
OP
chedched

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine still has the tag on the axle tube that says 3.92 limited slip. Does yours still have it?

I don't know who you were directing this to? Mine, I think the tag is still there. I know mine is the 3.55s. I have been looking into the Powertrax but I don't know if I need something that crazy. I've heard they can be tough in snow to keep strait...

Last edited:

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
I have been looking into the Powertrax but I don't know if I need something that crazy. I've heard they can be tough in snow to keep strait...

I loved the no-slip, had it for 10 years in my Dakota, and I'd put one in my RAM if it didn't already have the LSD. It was amazing in snow and off-road and on dry pavement you'd forget it was there. On wet roads you'd feel it jerk and lock/unlock often, which was just a bit annoying, but otherwise, great unit.