Expensive sounding CLUNK in 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmicucci

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Hemi
Hi all, first post here...

anyway last summer I traded in my Jeep for a 2003 Ram 2500 Hemi, auto trans, electric shift t-case, and have been dealing with a problem ever since. The truck makes a horrible sounding clunk/snap, feels like right under the drivers seat, in 4wd. Only does it under load, and at less than 15 mph. If I'm light on the throttle it won't do it, the harder I am on it the more it does it. If I'm going down the road in 4wd at 20 mph or greater, it will never do it. Makes no difference whether turning or straight. I have replaced the ball joints and axle u-joint on drivers side, passenger side has no visible play, and u-joint seems to move freely. No visible play in the u-joint or double cardan joint on front drive shaft. Truck has 190k on it, it was a highway commuter, and the 4wd basically gets used in the snow only, and a couple times in the woods in summer - not off-roading, but hunting camp is a bit off the beaten path and sometimes a bit muddy. I suspect the double cardan joint in the front D-shaft, but looking for any advice or experience.

Thanks in advance.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Ok look at eh u-joint and see I it has any excessive play. Another possibility is the actual transfer case internals. Being just under the drivers side tells me it is the transfer case.

OP
OP
D

dmicucci

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Hemi
Just an update, in case anyone else is encountering the same problem. It turns out it was the t-case chain, was stretched so much you could see where it was rubbing on the inside of the front case half. Split the case, replaced the chain and output shaft seal. All other internals were perfect, which I was actually fairly surprised to see. I was totally expecting at least the sprockets to be ***** but they were near perfect. Drives perfect now. Total cost was around $225 with all parts from the dealer, including Mopar ATF+4, except for auto parts store RTV.

One word of advice to anyone trying this out for themselves, invest in the biggest pair of snap-ring pliers you can find. Those rings, especially the one on the output shaft, are a b*tch.

LBC970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm having the same problem, and am getting ready to drop the T-Case.

Was there any noticeable wear on the gear the chain goes around? I'm not seeing shavings in the fluid, but want to be prepared!

Thanks!

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I'm having the same problem, and am getting ready to drop the T-Case.

Was there any noticeable wear on the gear the chain goes around? I'm not seeing shavings in the fluid, but want to be prepared!

Thanks!

If there are o shavings then you should be all right to just replace the chain. Be sure to clean out the inside of the case real well before you put it back together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990