Help, my fuse keeps blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
So first off I've been having issues with my truck lately this is the link to read whats been happening

http://www.ramforum.com/f45/engine_died_while_driving_now_will_not_start_all-92120/

But recently I sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body and the truck started up so maybe it's the fuel pump but when it started my fuse blew and when the issue happened with my truck stopping on me the fuse had blew then too. So why is it blowing is my question? Could a bad fuel pump cause it to blow or does it have to be a short somewhere? Also maybe my fuel pump is okay and the throttle position sensor is bad. what's yall opinion on this if the sensor went out? Thank you guys
UPDATE: so I swapped out the tps and it still won't start so if has to be the pump but I need to do what hootbro told me about disconnectingredients the pump and start it up again to see if the fuse blows, pray for me that when I do it does not blow and it's the pump causing this. Thanks hoot bro for the suggestion I'll do this first thing after class tomorrow

UPDATE#2: so I unplugged the fuel pump and the fuse did not blow so I think I'm finished my long stupid question of why my engine kept on dying on me. Time to replace the pump now and it's not going to be fun since I have about 15gallons in the tank

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Sensor will be on it's own fuse. The fuel pump fuse blowing could be the fuel pump pulling to much amperage and being bad or a short in the wiring.

I would pull the electrical connector off the fuel pump on top of the tank and try starting it to see if the fuse blows then. If not, then I would call the fuel pump. If it does blow, then a wiring short.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Sensor will be on it's own fuse. The fuel pump fuse blowing could be the fuel pump pulling to much amperage and being bad or a short in the wiring.

I would pull the electrical connector off the fuel pump on top of the tank and try starting it to see if the fuse blows then. If not, then I would call the fuel pump. If it does blow, then a wiring short.

Okay if the pump is pulling too much amperage then do I just change the pump or the whole asymbly too?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Okay if the pump is pulling too much amperage then do I just change the pump or the whole asymbly too?

I am not familiar with how your year model pumps are kitted. In general practice, you want to replace the whole pump as an assembly with the float and any strainers with new strainers if it does not come with the pump kit.

Also, you need to do your own homework and find what pump brands are the best for your application. This is one job you only want to do once and going super cheap can have you back in there another time quicker than you want. So it is worth the extra coin to either get a OEM made pump from the dealer or a respected branded pump on the aftermarket.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I am not familiar with how your year model pumps are kitted. In general practice, you want to replace the whole pump as an assembly with the float and any strainers with new strainers if it does not come with the pump kit.

Also, you need to do your own homework and find what pump brands are the best for your application. This is one job you only want to do once and going super cheap can have you back in there another time quicker than you want. So it is worth the extra coin to either get a OEM made pump from the dealer or a respected branded pump on the aftermarket.
Thank you very much for your help and I unplugged the pump and the fuse was good after so now I do need to do the research cause I'd like the next pump to also last 14 years like this one

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
No problem. I am sure there is some Youtube video if you search on changing the pump. Depending on how much fuel you have, you will have to either wrestle the tank down from the bottom or take the bed off the truck and access it from the top side. Either way, helps to have a buddy or two with this job.

Only other thing I would add is to make sure the tank is emptied and cleaned out before you install the new pump and put in fresh fuel. A lot of times pumps go bad because of the garbage in the tank and if you do not clean that garbage out, your new pump will just have a shorten lifespan.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
No problem. I am sure there is some Youtube video if you search on changing the pump. Depending on how much fuel you have, you will have to either wrestle the tank down from the bottom or take the bed off the truck and access it from the top side. Either way, helps to have a buddy or two with this job.

Only other thing I would add is to make sure the tank is emptied and cleaned out before you install the new pump and put in fresh fuel. A lot of times pumps go bad because of the garbage in the tank and if you do not clean that garbage out, your new pump will just have a shorten lifespan.

Yea I have half a tank so I'll have to remove the bed and thanks for the heads up about Cleaning the tank. Also if you happen to this I found water under carpet on the passenger side of my truck I looked it up and some say my drainage pipe might be clogged and not properly draining the water, what do you think from your experience? What's more common with why this happens? And thanks again for everything helped me learn a lot the last cupple days