Help: Transmission leak with pic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so it's an 2005 single cab hemi. I've owned it about a month. I just noticed the tranny is leaking from the top down where the oil pan butts up to the tranny. I haven't noticed it until now, only thing I've done is install the 93 and trans canned tune from Diablo. Any help would be great. Pretty steady drip. It's running down the casing and dripping from the bolt. Any help would be great. Cost too while you're at it lol. Looks like there is possibly some along the rim of the oil pan as well. It's deff red transmission fluid

85,415 miles, auto, shifts fine. Have had no issues

6FF4FF69-AB60-4533-90C2-FDAFFA3F6AED_zpsylgsg2tj.jpg

Last edited:

MTLHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Have to remove the pan and replace the gasket. I've had to do it since I've had my truck (6 months). Takes about an hour - hour and a half if you're on the ground. I just used silicone to make a new gasket after I cleaned the pan and trans with brake cleaner. Reinstalled the pan and filled with trans fluid.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
monettejb

monettejb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure?

Have to remove the pan and replace the gasket. I've had to do it since I've had my truck (6 months). Takes about an hour - hour and a half if you're on the ground. I just used silicone to make a new gasket after I cleaned the pan and trans with brake cleaner. Reinstalled the pan and filled with trans fluid.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Okay so this is not around the pan. It's coming from up top between the motor and the transmission.....

Thundervee

Reaction score
Ram Year
98, 05
Engine
5.9 Gas 5.7 hemi
There's really nothing up top on the bell housing that would leak trans fluid , could be the front pump seal on the trans that's leaking and the fluid being slung around by the torque converter and flywheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
monettejb

monettejb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's really nothing up top on the bell housing that would leak trans fluid , could be the front pump seal on the trans that's leaking and the fluid being slung around by the torque converter and flywheel

I forgot to mention that this is leaking just by sitting. I moved it into another parking spot at my apartment yesterday. Within 20 minutes there was a spot on the ground about the size of a half dollar. Last night I got home around 1130 (11 hours later) and it was the size of a kids basketball.

What do you think would cause it to leak over and down while sitting? That's what's got me stumped. Either way taking it somewhere today.

OP
OP
monettejb

monettejb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: not a transmission leak

:)Okay guys what's up? Thanks for all the input thus far. Took it to a reputable shop here that works on our patrol cars....they told me it was coolant not trans fluid. They said they did a pressure test for 10 minutes and found no leak. He told me to just keep an eye on it. Antifreeze leak it is, just no sign of where from! Thank god. He said it's not leaking from anywhere or the intake for that matter.

Thundervee

Reaction score
Ram Year
98, 05
Engine
5.9 Gas 5.7 hemi
Do you have an overflow hose that it could have come out of?

OP
OP
monettejb

monettejb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not that I know of. There's a overflow opening in the reservoir with no hose so who knows. I'll keep an eye on it