Pentastar oil leak, is this a common spot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramrod_2023

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi to all, can you help me identify what may have caused this leak? I noticed a drip on the driveway, looked underneath and the entire transmission and pan was covered with oil. I thought it was a transmission pan gasket failure, but upon examination, it was engine oil. I cleaned everything off and now can see where it's coming from. It's not the oil pan, but it's (part of the engine) where the oil pan mounts to.

Is this a gasket failure? Fortunately I've still got a warranty, but is a big job to replace this gasket, assuming that's what it is?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi to all, can you help me identify what may have caused this leak? I noticed a drip on the driveway, looked underneath and the entire transmission and pan was covered with oil. I thought it was a transmission pan gasket failure, but upon examination, it was engine oil. I cleaned everything off and now can see where it's coming from. It's not the oil pan, but it's (part of the engine) where the oil pan mounts to.

Is this a gasket failure? Fortunately I've still got a warranty, but is a big job to replace this gasket, assuming that's what it is?

Thanks in advance!
If it's under warranty, why are you asking how much work it is? Have them fix it, then tell your oil change person or place to stop over tightening the filter cap.

I've yet to see a compelling reason to swap to the spin on filter adapter.

OP
OP
R

ramrod_2023

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked again today, and I see the majority of the oil is in fact coming from somehwere on top of the bell housing. I can't see where without a camera. Is this further evidence of the oil cooler leaking?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked again today, and I see the majority of the oil is in fact coming from somehwere on top of the bell housing. I can't see where without a camera. Is this further evidence of the oil cooler leaking?
It's under the upper intake manifold on the top of the engine, use a flashlight and you'll probably be able to see some shiny reflections down in the valley.