In the market for a work truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
[Edit - didn't get this one. Latest candidate on p.3]
Going to check this guy out:

00o0o_1SggbrCZWiw_600x450.jpg

Ad says:
"Up for Sale 2003 DODGE RAM 1500 with 149k Miles, Runs 100%, Automatic Transmission, 4x4,
The Truck has Manual options, Hard bed Camper, 2 Doors, Nice Paint, A/C and Heater working fine, Well maintained, It's a Nice work truck, Clean Title in Hand.

ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION IN MINT CONDITION WITH NO MECHANICAL ISSUES!!!"

I've searched the forums - I can check all the fluids. Will bring a creeper to crawl underneath and I have my bluetooth OBDII reader to scan for codes. Will look for smooth shifting in 2WD/4WD...

Will mostly use it as a work truck; either going 5-10mph on dirt or 75mph on the freeway... not as a DD. Anything else? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How much? I just got my 2003 manual 4x4 2 door long bed for $5,999 with 82k miles on it. I did have to replace the rear window (got one without a sider) and a couple parts like the ash tray. It is much like that picture, but in green.

OP
OP
J

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Doh! Forgot to put. Asking $3500.

00v0v_3t2n3YJNr6T_600x450.jpg

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say look it over well, check for water stains for possible leaks, other than that doesn't sound bad. If it was well maintained it's got more life left in her

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Doesn't sound bad and minus a couple of dents, looks clean.

OP
OP
J

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
check for water stains for possible leaks
Do you mean interior leaks? Like, rain coming through the roof or windows or something? Where should I look?

Thanks for the feedback here!

Edit: where is the OBDII port in this thing? Easy access I hope?

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you mean interior leaks? Like, rain coming through the roof or windows or something? Where should I look?

Yea, look on the floorboard near the doors, the floorboard behind the seats, and check the headliner on all corners for stains. Just to double check. I don't think there were many leak issues in the 3rd gens but I would do it as a precautionary

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Edit: where is the OBDII port in this thing? Easy access I hope?

Bottom of dash just to the left side of the steering wheel. It will be visible looking up under your dash and it's a flat looking female plug.

OP
OP
J

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Cool. There is also a '99 for $4600 - automatic w/ 100k, new water pump & alternator. You think that's worth a look too? How do you balance lower miles vs age? I'm leaning towards the '03.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
2nd gen Rams are good, but do have more problems then 3rd gens and aren't as refined.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That seems like a good price. I paid more for mine because stick was a must have for me, and they are getting really hard to find.

OP
OP
J

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Aach. Well, we called the guy last night to say we were on our way and he said "oh, I have a guy here about to buy it."

SO.

The hunt resumes. :p

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My personal preference when buying a lower end truck that may have been used as a work truck is to go stick. I never trust other people when it comes to auto transmissions and towing. Just a thought.

OP
OP
J

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Well, that one is off the table. Called the guy to say we were headed up to check it out and he said "Oh, I got a guy here right now that's buying it."

So, back to scanning the Craigslist!

Couple more promising candidates, but mostly the Gen II... '97 diesel w/ 176k for $6700, '99 V8 w/ 160k for $3k (wondering what's wrong with it?), etc.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Whatever truck you look at give it the fine toothed comb treatment. Also if you can get the carfax get it. A carfax gives you a lot of info that sometimes the owner will not.

OP
OP
J

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Went to see the $3k one. Rust all over. Oil leak. Front suspension needed work. Someone had obviously spilled paint on the cab floor. I passed. Nice guy though. *sigh*

Is there a "vehicles for sale" subforum here? I see the "For Sale" subforum, but it looks mostly like parts...

OP
OP
J

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Another candidate - 2005 1500. Looks clean on the outside. Asking $7k

Specs: Regular cab, 140k miles. They sent me a list of things it needs:
* Left outer tie rod
* Leaking P/S cooler lines
* Lower ball joints
* Front & rear brakes
* Holes in muffler
* Turn signal bulbs (easy one)
* Center seat belt
* CEL illuminated. (NFI)
* Dirty oil

Plus, under the "caution" heading -
* Noisy blower motor
* Front crank seal leaking
* Rear pinion seal leaking
* Trans sump & cooler filters need replacing

Should I run away? Or what should I offer them? I mean, the $7k asking price is in the middle of the KBB range for a good vehicle with that mileage.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another candidate - 2005 1500. Looks clean on the outside. Asking $7k

Specs: Regular cab, 140k miles. They sent me a list of things it needs:
* Left outer tie rod
* Leaking P/S cooler lines
* Lower ball joints
* Front & rear brakes
* Holes in muffler
* Turn signal bulbs (easy one)
* Center seat belt
* CEL illuminated. (NFI)
* Dirty oil

Plus, under the "caution" heading -
* Noisy blower motor
* Front crank seal leaking
* Rear pinion seal leaking
* Trans sump & cooler filters need replacing

Should I run away? Or what should I offer them? I mean, the $7k asking price is in the middle of the KBB range for a good vehicle with that mileage.

Skip it. Too much work. That's a couple grand worth of work, easy.

OP
OP
J

JaimeZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
That's kind of what I was thinking. I told the guy on the phone "my napkin math says that's a good $1500 worth of stuff." He said "at the dealer probably $3500." I said "would you take $5k for it? Otherwise that's $10,500 and I can get a lot more truck for that." He called me back a bit later "manager says $6500."
I think I'll pass.

Edit: going to check this guy out tomorrow I think:
http://www.padirectautosales.com/2003_Dodge_Ram 1500_226680960.veh#

2003 w/ 183k, asking $5900. Single owner, clean Carfax. Selling dealer says the MX records show the guy went to a shop where they tended to replace stuff before it was needed so it should be in great mech. shape. It's about a 3-hour drive so I hope they're not wasting my time!

Edit2: This may be somewhere in the forums, but is there a list of major MX items that should be done at certain mileages? For example BMW E39s are famous for cooling system problems every 60-80k. So if someone is looking at a 100k E39 and it hasn't had a water pump & radiator, then they should budget for that. Anyway... stuff like that? Hopefully I'll be able to cross-reference that against the records...

Edit3: They do not have the MX records but insist it's in great shape and I will not be wasting my time going up there. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again!

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's kind of what I was thinking. I told the guy on the phone "my napkin math says that's a good $1500 worth of stuff." He said "at the dealer probably $3500." I said "would you take $5k for it? Otherwise that's $10,500 and I can get a lot more truck for that." He called me back a bit later "manager says $6500."
I think I'll pass.

Edit: going to check this guy out tomorrow I think:
http://www.padirectautosales.com/2003_Dodge_Ram 1500_226680960.veh#

2003 w/ 183k, asking $5900. Single owner, clean Carfax. Selling dealer says the MX records show the guy went to a shop where they tended to replace stuff before it was needed so it should be in great mech. shape. It's about a 3-hour drive so I hope they're not wasting my time!

Edit2: This may be somewhere in the forums, but is there a list of major MX items that should be done at certain mileages? For example BMW E39s are famous for cooling system problems every 60-80k. So if someone is looking at a 100k E39 and it hasn't had a water pump & radiator, then they should budget for that. Anyway... stuff like that? Hopefully I'll be able to cross-reference that against the records...

Edit3: They do not have the MX records but insist it's in great shape and I will not be wasting my time going up there. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again!

That is a lot of miles... I wouldn't even look at it. I would spend more money and get something under 100K miles.

The deals are out there... Mine was $5,999 with 82K miles, but mine is a base line stick 4wd. Everything I wanted. I had to replace the back window ($350) put a remote start alarm with door lock actuators ($700) and a new head unit ($140 installed) take out the flowmaster series 10 and put in a series 50 ($200). Now it is perfect.

Oh I did buy it from a dealer in Connecticut and their state law required them to fix all safety issues, so they had to replace the power steering pump, water pump, thermostat, and belt free of charge.

I suggest taking your time and looking all over the country. You might get way more of a truck and even pay for a flight to pick it up out of the savings. I was really limited because I only wanted stick (very hard to find nowadays)