Looking for a new strut assembly to install Bilsteins in, will cheap aftermarket work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bits

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installing bilstien 5100s in my truck, and my OEM strut assemblies are so rusty I’m not even going to attempt to disassemble them. My question is, will I be good with a cheap $60 ultra power assembly off rockauto? Since I’m pitching the shock/strut I don’t care about that part, I just need the coil spring to not be hard as a brick or way too soft or anything like that.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Order the eibach front springs. They give you 2” lift and ride very close to stock. You’ll still need the lower spring perch off the stock struts to install on the bilstein

OP
OP
B

Bits

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately the eibachs are out of my price range, this project has given me enough money burning rabbit trails I’m not in the mood to drop another $300 lol.

Got to looking around and I realized the cheap struts have a different lower spring perch that I’m not sure would work with the bils. So i ended up cutting apart my old stock struts, I’ll be able to use the coils from them and then I’ll buy the upper mount and the lower perch (old ones are seized onto the strut). Coils aren’t in too bad shape actually, a little cleanup and some paint and they’ll work fine.

IMG_8086.jpeg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will need to find a way to get those lower spring perches loose. I have not seen them sold separate anywhere. Some kroil or something to break down the rust and a small sledge hammer.

OP
OP
B

Bits

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will need to find a way to get those lower spring perches loose. I have not seen them sold separate anywhere. Some kroil or something to break down the rust and a small sledge hammer.
Thanks for the heads up, after a quick soak in break free that actually came off first try!

broteinshake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im confused, i just installed 5100s in my truck last week and they came with the lower spring perches. To get the original springs off, i compressed the springs with a harbor freight spring compressor until i could get at the shaft with vice grips and then unscrewed the bolt with a ratchet. The air impact ratchet i got from harbor freight would just spin the shaft somehow even with the vice grip on

OP
OP
B

Bits

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im confused, i just installed 5100s in my truck last week and they came with the lower spring perches. To get the original springs off, i compressed the springs with a harbor freight spring compressor until i could get at the shaft with vice grips and then unscrewed the bolt with a ratchet. The air impact ratchet i got from harbor freight would just spin the shaft somehow even with the vice grip on
I think some of the bils come with the perches and some don’t. The 5100s I got don’t have them. The nut at the top of my original struts was so rusty there wasn’t hardly anything to get a socket on, that’s why I didn’t attempt to get that off but instead cut the strut shaft.

OP
OP
B

Bits

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you guys reinstalling the plastic cylindrical covers/guards that go over the top of the OEM struts when installing bils? I cut mine up taking the old strut apart, should I order new ones?

Rockauto calls it a bellow. $20 for 2 of them

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you guys reinstalling the plastic cylindrical covers/guards that go over the top of the OEM struts when installing bils? I cut mine up taking the old strut apart, should I order new ones?

Rockauto calls it a bellow. $20 for 2 of them
It’s a dust guard but it’s not required.

OP
OP
B

Bits

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it normal for the top mount and spring to sit this cockeyed or did I mess something up? And is my top nut on far enough?

IMG_8109.jpeg

IMG_8110.jpeg

IMG_8111.jpeg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok that’s good I guess lol. I didn’t, I’ll have to borrow a torque wrench. What’s the torque spec on it do you know?
Couldn’t remember but it tells you in the paperwork that came with the bilsteins. The tops can sit crooked because it is just a rubber bushing. It’ll sit right once mounted in the truck.

OP
OP
B

Bits

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Perfect
Couldn’t remember but it tells you in the paperwork that came with the bilsteins. The tops can sit crooked because it is just a rubber bushing. It’ll sit right once mounted in the truck.
Cool, thanks a bunch for the info. And for answering all my dumb questions lol