Need some help with 3rd gen rear axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thrasher88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need some info on the 3rd gen rear axle. The truck is 05 reg cab 4.7 5 speed 4x4, best I can find out is that it's a Chrysler 9.25. What I'm needing to know is the ring gear and pinion the same as a 2nd gen Chrysler 9.25. The pinion on the 3rd gen rear end is bent, I have one from a 2nd gen is it the same ? Both are 3.55 ratio

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, but I have to stop you on that...

Ring and pinion gears always need to be replaced together. There is a reason they arent sold separately. Just like motorcycle chains and sprockets, they wear into each other over time. No 2 gear sets will wear the same, so moving one used pinion to another used ring gear will cause a severe problem with the gear mesh, which will cause a growl, and eventually start breaking teeth.

So if you're going to swap, swap the ring AND pinion and setup the gears again.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Bigsloth is completely correct. ALWAYS replace the ring and pinion with new parts to keep from having problems later. The price is normally reasonable for them, and if you can do the work yourself you can save on installation too.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wasn't saying you can't replace the ring and pinion with good used ones, just saying swap BOTH. Not just the pinion, or the ring, always swap or replace them as a set.