New Mod: EZ Down Tailgate Damper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Anyone have one of these things? EZ Down Tailgate Damper It allows you to open your tailgate with one hand without having it slam down and cause potential damage. Having kids and a wife that don't always seem to understand you have to slowly lower the tailgate...this is a godsend.

It looks like they are $70 on from the site. I got mine for the best price of all from a neighbor friend. :waytogo:

I'll install it when I get home from work tonight. I'd post pictures, vid and how to, but the EZ Down site already has a good video and instructions.

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to get one for my truck. The only thing I like about the Tundras is they have something similar from the factory on their tailgates and you can open and close the tailgate with one finger.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
toyota must have trolled the forums and found what people want and like and did it right from the start. they have this, bigger rotors, calipers, and gears.....hello dodge are you here?

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
toyota must have trolled the forums and found what people want and like and did it right from the start. they have this, bigger rotors, calipers, and gears.....hello dodge are you here?

Bigger isn't always better though...my brother in law has one of the Tundra's...they're not all they're cut out to be...

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would never buy a tundra just because of the ride. They are soooo ruff riding its insane

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Yeah...not to get off topic though, but the Tundra interior, much like all Toyota cars/trucks is cheap too

blackshadow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
talegate

Anyone have one of these things? EZ Down Tailgate Damper It allows you to open your tailgate with one hand without having it slam down and cause potential damage. Having kids and a wife that don't always seem to understand you have to slowly lower the tailgate...this is a godsend.

It looks like they are $70 on from the site. I got mine for the best price of all from a neighbor friend. :waytogo:

I'll install it when I get home from work tonight. I'd post pictures, vid and how to, but the EZ Down site already has a good video and instructions.

I have one on my truck and have had one for almost three years and I love it.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Bigger isn't always better though...my brother in law has one of the Tundra's...they're not all they're cut out to be...

I wouldnt say that.... My dads 2011 Tundra is nice, it handles great, rides great and accelerates very smooth.

2010-10-23_09-05-47_949.jpg
2010-10-23_09-05-37_535.jpg

They also made the interior a little bigger too so you dont feel crammed in there like the 09 model did. It is nice.... I wont own one, but they are nice

now back on topic.... I really want one of those easy down tailgate assists. I use my truck for work a lot of the time and it would be great to be able to do it all one handed (idiots who come out with me dont own trucks and certainly dont know how to open and close tailgates).

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Oh yeah, I have nothing to hold onto so the EZ-down works good.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
look at you greg. im not saying the bigger truck is better just the effort toyota put into doing thing we would have to consider upgrades.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
doenst some company make actuators to lift and lower the tailgate with the push of a button

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I installed it tonight. Only took a few minutes. I do have one complaint, and maybe it will get better, but the tailgate support cable seems to want to stick out as you try to close the tailgate now. Maybe after a while it will get used to how it is supposed to lay now and behave. Other than that, it's very nice.

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very nice man! Does it make it any easier to close or just open?

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it's kinda ***. If you aren't strong enough to lift or lower your tailgate... whats the point in having one?

Some people have little kids and they sure could get hurt if the tailgate fell on them. :Wedgie:

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I was driving home the other night and I guess before I left I didnt shut my tailgate good enough...driving down the road it slammed down...man, It felt like that bed of my truck got slammed into...I am sure having would have lightened it's fall a little bit...I looked at their site and unfortunately us second gen guys can't get these...

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I think it's kinda ***. If you aren't strong enough to lift or lower your tailgate... whats the point in having one?

It ain't ***, it's cooooool. Now if I could get that damn tonneau to work half as smooth, I'd have it made. Let's see electric acturators and door poppers Man, then I'd really be something down at Walmart.