trans oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cooler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all. Am gonna do transmission fluid change on my 04 Ram 4×4. Now what's the best way to get as much fluid out as possible? Does the convertor have a drain plug? Or can I only change the fluid that will com by dropping the pan???

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Unless you blow air through the lines you'll just get what comes from dropping the pan which should be about 6.5 quarts for the 4x4. I just did mine and it's real messy. There is no gasket for the trans oil pan so I just used rtv sealer, hand tightened the bolts then torqued them to spec after 45min. If you try to blow air through the lines there is a chance you could break some debris loose and cause major problems. Are you doing the filters too?

OP
OP
C

cooler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes doing filters to

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Some convertors (especially aftermarket ones) do have drain plugs. I would check yours first before blowing any air through the system. Another way t completely drain the transmission is to drop the pan from it then start the engine. It will pump all the fluid out of the transmission. But be real careful doing this. As soon as the flow slows down shut the engine off. You do not want to run the pump dry.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I just did mine (4th gen with 5 speed auto) and I let it drain for a pretty long time did both filters from the dealer and then about 7 qts of Castrol ATF+4. I added a drain plug to the pan too so next time it will be much easier to do. Check fluid level with the truck running and in NEUTRAL. Drive and check again a couple times. Mine seemed at the right level with about 7 but then had to add more as it was no longer at bottom holes once I ran it around the block a little and the fluid ran through the cooler and all over in the lines. I have checked again and it is right where it should after many trips to work. Just be careful not to overfill or underfill it needs to be in the wheelhouse. As a side note I read that aftermarket filters have caused some issues due to a design flaw they essentially copied from original spec'd filters. I just eliminated the risk by getting at dealer and was happy because I had bought the wix version online and it looked cheap and was made in China and Mexico vs the OEM that was made in USA on both from dealer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cooler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for replays all