Filter and oil change comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Changed the oil, oil filter, 2 fuel filters and a coolant filter on the 8.3 Cummins in our diesel pusher a couple of days ago. I'd also changed all of that on my Ram Cummins recently (except it doesn't have a coolant filter, of course). I have drain valves on both oil pans, so even though the 8.3 hold a couple more gallons, that part was easy on both. But the oil and fuel filters are much more accessible on the 8.3. The filters are all much larger on the RV. But I was struck by the fact that overall, I'd say doing that job is easier on the RV. Probably about equal in cost. 4 Baldwin filter were cheaper than the 3 Ram filters, but it holds 5.1 gallons of T4 Rotella (T6 in the Ram).

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah they have crammed a lot into a small space on the Rams. My company runs several Freightliner M2 trucks with the 6.7 Cummins and you can just about walk all the way around the engine. We don't service them but I think to myself this would be so much easier if it were my Ram.

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The automotive profit center.
And those Baldwin filters go to a finer micron than the ram filters do also. I think ram filters are 10 microns where Balwin are 2 microns Lot more cleaning power on the fuel before it gets to the engine.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
And those Baldwin filters go to a finer micron than the ram filters do also. I think ram filters are 10 microns where Balwin are 2 microns Lot more cleaning power on the fuel before it gets to the engine.
The under the hood Mopar/Fleetguard filter is 3 micron nanonet. IIRC the back filter is a 5 micron, as for that Baldwin 2 micron it still does not meet the OEM nanonet requirement as it is only available from Fleetguard... Also is that 2 micron rating nominal or absolute? Now if you don't have a warranty ya can use what ya like...

Last edited:

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The under the hood Mopar/Fleetguard filter is 3 micron nanonet. IIRC the back filter is a 5 micron, as for that Baldwin 2 micron it still does not meet the OEM nanonet requirement as it is only available from Fleetguard... Also is that 2 micron rating nominal or absolute? Now if you don't have a warranty ya can use what ya like...
I have been using the same filters for a while now and haven't had a fuel issue yet knock on wood. At 587,000 miles my warranty is long gone.

tgif57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What are the Baldwin part numbers on the different filters? Do any of the sponsors of this web page sell them?