New member with questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, first time here, first time dodge owner. Need advice.
Purchased a 2003 ram 1500 hemi 5.7, regular cab rear drive only. 97k miles. Excellent condition.

The truck was lowered by orginal owner, the front was lowered by just swapping out the coil springs, and the rear had the leaf springs replaced. Sits leveled and actually looks good, which is why I bought it...lol Tires are the 20in factory.

My question is, I noticed that the front end is sitting on the rubber stops. Which concerns me....doesn't look right. I don't want to cut them out or remove the stop. So, options are? Replace front coils to stock? Or will a spacer work? Saw a 2 inch cnc spacer for 100 bucks on ebay. Cost wise, probably the same for a set of factory springs. Labor wise about the same for the install as everything has to be removed.

So I come to you all fine people That have the knowledge and experience.. All advice welcomed....

Finally, what about the rear then....if I only lift the front 2 inches ( or less, just to get it off the stop) it will look silly....I'll have to lift the rear too then....was thinking of putting air bag kit in the rear as I plan on actually using it to haul a few things here and there....

Thanks again.

OP
OP
Z

Zim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I can see this is a tricky situation. I'm thinking it's probably easier to just put stock springs back in.

OP
OP
Z

Zim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After looking at cost and labor, I think I'll put stock springs back in. Seems the 2 inch spacer is a waste since the stock springs will put right back at stock height, and the rear air bags will hopefully level the truck out. If not I'll probaby run spacers there to level if need be.

Big thanks to zim for helping in the decision making process....thanks zim, your welcome zim....

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
LMAO, see, this is why we don't answer, you get to figure things out on your own.

With 2" drop springs I'm surprised to hear it's sitting on the bump stops unless the springs were trimmed down and the T-bars were cranked down. I would not put a spacer in to raise the front on a lowered suspension, but I would try cranking up the torsion bars before playing with the springs, you might get enough room to make you happy and it's free.

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
.... Unless I'm drastically missing something, why in the world would a truck have springs AND torsion bars? I think you may be over thinking it charon.

To the OP, if you like you current ride height look for a set of bump stops to accommodate the 2" drop. Sounds like the original owner just didn't replace them. They only come into play when you're bottoming out or almost there. The aftermarket stops that came with my 4" rear drop are literally 3/8" thick pieces of rubber to stop it from clubbing if it bottoms. The fronts aren't typically a progressive stop so literally any stop short enough to allow travel before making contact should work.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Lol, I started answering then saw he had an '03 and for some reason I thought about the torsion bars, not even thinking that it's one or the other. I love getting old.

OP
OP
Z

Zim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excellent info, thanks to all. The truck is actually sitting on the bump stop which makes me nervous for some reason....as I'm thinking the geometry of the suspension is off? Thus not allowing the full travel?

I do love the ride height tho...

I did massive amounts of searches in this forum and you guys are a big help.... Seems that those who installed the lowering springs all cut the bump stop....I will give it a try and post pictures pre and post.....