12.50" on 7" wide rim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brotten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's Got a HEMI
As per the title of the post is anyone running or have they ran a 12.50" wide tire on a 17x7 wheel? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger...

Details 03 1500 4x4
Want to install lift keys and 33 x 12.5 17" on some stock steelies...
Right now it's stock and sad looking...

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That's just too narrow of a wheel. Even if you get them to inflate on that rim without popping off, any good bounce and you are gonna bust the wheel away from the tire bead.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
yeah I would not do that.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I ran a set of 35x12.5x17 on a stock 2500 wheel, i think are 7.5" i think
Your much better off going with a 285/70/17 then the 33x12.5

Venom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
we do it on jeeps ALL the time
I mean ALL the time
admittedly its a lot lighter vehicle but we also wheel em a lot harder.

you arent gonna pop it off the outside of the bead, sorry just no way in hell I can see the lip of a tire stretching the 1"+ it would take to pop it off the outside

we actually call it a poor mans bead lock, because theres extra pressure pushing out so you can run them at a lot lower pressure in the rocks without slipping a bead.
The other nice thing is it leaves a lot of tire hanging out past the rim to protect the rim from rocks.

I personally ran 35x12.50 mud grapplers on my stock jeep rims (7.5") for 3+ years and wheeled the crap out of it on rocks, mud whatever as well as 40,000+ highway miles until I got recentered Humvee wheels for it and went to 37" military goodyears.
4dr JK with probably close to 1000lbs of added armor, skids, bumpers, winch, cage etc - probably put it close to the weight of ram

its not the optimum width, but its not impossible or unsafe.

35x12,50 on a 17x7.5 rim

newcarier.jpg

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
7.5" would be the barest minimum. He asked about a 7" wheel. I know that 1/2" don't sound like a lot but it makes a big difference.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
check the specs on the tires...they will list an approved rim width range

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
MADDOG said:
7.5" would be the barest minimum. He asked about a 7" wheel. I know that 1/2" don't sound like a lot but it makes a big difference.

I agree.

OP
OP
B

brotten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's Got a HEMI
we do it on jeeps ALL the time
I mean ALL the time
admittedly its a lot lighter vehicle but we also wheel em a lot harder.

you arent gonna pop it off the outside of the bead, sorry just no way in hell I can see the lip of a tire stretching the 1"+ it would take to pop it off the outside

we actually call it a poor mans bead lock, because theres extra pressure pushing out so you can run them at a lot lower pressure in the rocks without slipping a bead.
The other nice thing is it leaves a lot of tire hanging out past the rim to protect the rim from rocks.

I personally ran 35x12.50 mud grapplers on my stock jeep rims (7.5") for 3+ years and wheeled the crap out of it on rocks, mud whatever as well as 40,000+ highway miles until I got recentered Humvee wheels for it and went to 37" military goodyears.
4dr JK with probably close to 1000lbs of added armor, skids, bumpers, winch, cage etc - probably put it close to the weight of ram

its not the optimum width, but its not impossible or unsafe.

This is what I've heard from every wheel/tire and front end guy I know.
I went and picked up some 2011 stock steelies I'm going to get painted competion gray and hopeful I can order my general grabbers next week.
I'll keep you all posted on how this goes and get some pics up when it's leveled and has new shoes!

ATRepair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll keep you all posted on how this goes and get some pics up when it's leveled and has new shoes!

It's been a while, any update for those of us who would like real world experience?