2002 dodge ram 1500 4.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scot1991

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys new to the forum. Hope someone can help me out. I have a 02 dodge ram 1500 4.7L 4x4. Here is my problem. I was coming home the other day and all sudden my check engine light came on. When i got it home i let it idle and when its idling it runs rough. Now if i rev it up it runs fine. It only runs rough when it idles. I borrowed a scan tool for the check engine light and here is the codes it brought up. p0358,p0357,p0356,p0307,p0207,p0354,p0351,p0352,p0353. Can somone tell me why its running rough at idle. I dont have alot of money or else i would take it to a garage. Im just hoping its nothing to major. If someone can help me out that would be great!! Thanks.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Hi guys new to the forum. Hope someone can help me out. I have a 02 dodge ram 1500 4.7L 4x4. Here is my problem. I was coming home the other day and all sudden my check engine light came on. When i got it home i let it idle and when its idling it runs rough. Now if i rev it up it runs fine. It only runs rough when it idles. I borrowed a scan tool for the check engine light and here is the codes it brought up. p0358,p0357,p0356,p0307,p0207,p0354,p0351,p0352,p0353. Can somone tell me why its running rough at idle. I dont have alot of money or else i would take it to a garage. Im just hoping its nothing to major. If someone can help me out that would be great!! Thanks.
Well it's running rough cause one it's all ignition related and that's what gives you the spark for your plugs. I'm honestly surprised you only had one misfire code. So the codes for p0351, p0352, p0353, p0354, p0356, p0357, p0358 are all ignition coil #_ primary circuit. So the last number in these codes indicate what cylinder ignition coil is having the code pop up for and this would be all but cylinder 5 surprisingly. P0307 is a misfire on cylinder 7 and p0207 is fuel injector #7 control circuit. I'm not positive what the control circuit or primary circuit means. But it's obviously having an issue with working properly so check the wires and make sure that there is no exposed wire and that they are properly plugged in right if no issues there could be that you have bad coils or something else do more research on what the codes mean. You only need to look at one not all since they are the same but for different cylinders.

Ram-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This sounds similar to issues I had with my old 4.7. The plastic clip that holds the harness into the PCM was snapped, allowing the harness to wiggle loose occasionally and throw tons of random codes, usually in similar groups as certain parts of the plugs loose connection. This sometimes resulted in rough idles, random stalls, and other issues. Check that those harnesses are tight and do not pull free.