4.7 performance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Is there anything I can do to get more power into my 2008 ram 4.7? I can't find hardly anything for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's because you pretty much have the high water mark for this engine.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Headers, exhaust(includes new Y pipe), CAI, Tuner, and that's basically it. You'll get some decent gains with that stuff.

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Superchips programmer (has trans tune abilities too), muffler (recommend Super 10), and Magnaflow Y-pipe. Maybe a CAI (any will do). You should be smiling then. Definately recommend the programmer and Y-pipe first if you can only do 2!

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nitrous

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Nitrous will kill it... They already run too hot from the factory...

The 4.7L is well designed but poorly built from the factory. The oil flowback from the heads is not efficient which does not help the cooling. The valve seats have a tendency to dislodge from their location inflicting major damage to the valve train and pistons.

I have seen some folks put an Intake and blower and a Paxton turbo which has yielded some very good results.

You can have the lowdown and insight numbers of the engine right here : Allpar.com - the Chrysler 4.7L

These guys have done the most extensive work on the 4.7L I have seen so far : AirRam custom 4.7L single Plane intake mod and other improvements

All that being said, you will get the most bang for your buck with basic mods:
1. CAI (any will be an improvement)
2. The only headers for the 4.&L are shorties that fit the standard exhaust configuration so you don't sacrifice the CAT and O2 sensors (bee careful on oversizing the exhaust as this engine does get its low end torque from the back-pressure generated by the exhaust restriction. You could find yourself having a hard time getting the truck off with a loss of Low-end torque.)
3. Tuner.

More costly options are:
1. Ported heads (although, the standard factory heads already offer good airflow) so much $$$ for very little improvements
2. F&B throttle Body (wider than stock and worth it more than the ported heads)
3. Intake swap (does not have to be the single plane. The H/O intake can bring significant improvements without major engine modifications)
3. eFan (I have seen mixed comments on this one. Even though it does reduce the drag on the engine compared to a Clutched Fan, some have reported the eFan to not be as efficient in cooling as the standard fan. Since this engine is sensitive to heat, I have refrained from going down that path)
4. Underdrive pulley (not seen reports of significant improvements here)
5. Turbo (Paxton make one and have not found other specific to the 4.7L) (as for supercharger I have not found one specific for the 4.7L)

This is pretty much the bulk of the findings I have made through 8 months of research on the 4.7L.

I hope this is helpful to you in reaching your objective.

Budakane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345ci Hemi
Airram.com as before mentioned. With you having the higher HP 4.7 following the mods Airram did should give you decent results

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Everything they said and stick a Jet 180 F thermostat in it as well. I did and I run about 190 on the highway and about 200 in the city. (I have a pillar temp gauge). Also throw some water wetter in the radiator as well. Like they said, these 4.7L's are bad about getting hot. I also put a electric cutout after the cats. I close it for taking off but open it on the highway. Without the back pressure on the highway, I can go from 70 to 100 in a few seconds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990