How can I get more power, as in horsepower or torque, out of a 4.7 magnum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you forgot the part where I said I don't want to get a hemi
Well then enjoy the 4.7 the way it is not much you can do you are not the first nor last person thinking they can get moere power out of a 4.7 cant even count how many have tried just save your money and get a hemi one day down the line when its time for a new truck.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok on the same subject, what would custom make my own electric ProCharger and custom cold air intake, or is there any advice you can give me for doing this?

I would probably use an electric leafblower that runs on 12 volts such as a Milwaukee.
You need the suckblow 5000 from Binford tools! ;)

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you forgot the part where I said I don't want to get a hemi
The cheapest horsepower you can get is factory horsepower. You can throw $2000 at that 4.7 and not match the power being put out by a $2000 Hemi.

That said, if you are dead set on trying to build or boost your 4.7 for sentimental reasons, or just to have a challenge, go for it... the only limitation is your wallet. If you want to hook up a glorified electric leaf blower to your intake have at it. Just remember with more airflow you'll need more fuel, and there is only so much boost you can throw at an engine built to run naturally aspirated before something goes *pop*.

Rotorhead784

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
People always try to get more power out of 4.7 engines the awnser every time is not much at all can be done just buy a older Hemi more options available. Also the 4.7 sounds terrible with a cold air intake had one on a few of my trucks.
Best of luck.
The real key to HP is money, it’s how much you want to spend and the more HP you get out of that engine the shorted its life will be. Go buy a hemi engine and be done with it

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There is a MotorTrend show Engine Masters. Watch the episode where they put different intakes/air filters on an engine.

Agree with others who say that most reliable way to increase horsepower and torque is upgrade to a hemi. You can pump money into parts, then run insanely expensive gas through it and still be behind a hemi in performance. A CAI and catback may give you a few hp but expensive and probably not noticable due to the points in the curves where the paths diverge from the stock hp/torque curvers. You could push some NO2 through, but that will destroy things pretty quickly.

You can also better use what you have. Take out all the dead weight like spare tire, jack, any external mods like running boards, tool boxes, run OEM sized tires if you have put larger ones on. Things like that are free and will provide a more pronounced feeling of more power due to not lugging all that extra weight around. And did I mention this is all free?

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a MotorTrend show Engine Masters. Watch the episode where they put different intakes/air filters on an engine.

Agree with others who say that most reliable way to increase horsepower and torque is upgrade to a hemi. You can pump money into parts, then run insanely expensive gas through it and still be behind a hemi in performance. A CAI and catback may give you a few hp but expensive and probably not noticable due to the points in the curves where the paths diverge from the stock hp/torque curvers. You could push some NO2 through, but that will destroy things pretty quickly.

You can also better use what you have. Take out all the dead weight like spare tire, jack, any external mods like running boards, tool boxes, run OEM sized tires if you have put larger ones on. Things like that are free and will provide a more pronounced feeling of more power due to not lugging all that extra weight around. And did I mention this is all free?
Ever wonder how, in 40 years, "they" have squeezed mega horsepower from twinky-dink little 4 cylinder engines FAR in excess of the engines from the 70-s/80's?
Overhead cams, multiple cams, VVT, Turbochargers, lighter materials for weight reduction, and, lastly, computers have all been employed to squeeze horsepower numbers which dwarf those of yesteryear.
The development of this monumental increase in performance was/is the application of physics driven engineering.
The fact is, these major auto manufacturers have huge pools of resources far and beyond the capabilities of us consumers. Mainly money!
That 4.7 engine was designed during the years that Daimler/Benz owned Chrysler. It is almost a literal carbon copy of the 4.5L Mercedes engine. It's power to weight ratio is dismal compared to more modern designs. Engineering and tooling costs to make the 4.7 anything close to a Hemi would be astronomical.
As far as Cold air induction; there is something to be said about it.. I mean, when the Dragstrip was built in Baytown, Texas many years ago, it was right on the cool, moist, dense air of the region. There were MANY top fuel records set there simply due to the cool dense air. But, these pick up trucks don't have methanol fueled, forced air induction, 11,000 HP engines in them, so CAI, is much less a factor in overall power increase.

You hit the nail on the head with your admonition to reduce weight. Power to weight ratio is a big deal.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
TBH I wanted to find ideas not a bunch of Hemi fanboys cause I could go get a 5.9 magnum or the 8L v10 and just have more power, I don't wanna start my truck and hear ticking.

The whine of an electric leaf blower should drown it out.

Have you tried stickers? Each sticker is a minimum of 5hp.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBH I wanted to find ideas not a bunch of Hemi fanboys cause I could go get a 5.9 magnum or the 8L v10 and just have more power, I don't wanna start my truck and hear ticking.
Not so much fanboys just actual mechanics telling you that not much can be done to a 4.7. However sucks for you because the 4.7s tick aswell I rebuild them all the time if yours doesnt now it will best of luck.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Obvious troll is obvious. Grow up.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a good thing you never had a Chevy LT-1 engine (The IROC Z-28 for instance). Those had injectors which ticked like lifters! Thank goodness for loud radios! ;)

Last edited:

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Largely agree here, but just installing them alone will only do so much. To really but these upgrades to use, you will need to tune for them as well so your truck knows how to utilize the adjustments.

Many people who will jump in here shortly will say that upgrading your intake is pointless because "your factory intake is already a cold air intake", ya no s***, but that doesn't mean that others still aren't larger/have better geometry to allow for better flow. You don't see the 1000hp builds running a factory intake, and there's a reason.
I took it as a total intake upgrade. Manifold and all. Also, block back exhaust. And I think he also mentioned tune.
From there cost goes up with HP.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a LOT of us with the 5.7 and without the tick. You got what you wanted. ADVICE.
You might not like it, but it is honest advice and opinion. Take it or leave it, but don't say you didn't get what you asked for.
Enjoy your 4.7, and good lucy. Oh, you might try Google for the parts you need and you tube for how-to's.

OP
OP
Lord_Brick

Lord_Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
To the few telling me to grow up one, I said I didn't want a hemi and I got the advice I was looking for so thanks for that, but I think yall need to calm down.

OP
OP
Lord_Brick

Lord_Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
Not so much fanboys just actual mechanics telling you that not much can be done to a 4.7. However sucks for you because the 4.7s tick aswell I rebuild them all the time if yours doesnt now it will best of luck.
It actually doesn't, because it wasn't built as a cheaper engine.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
To the few telling me to grow up one, I said I didn't want a hemi and I got the advice I was looking for so thanks for that, but I think yall need to calm down.

Let us know what sticker package you go with and the dyno results.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It actually doesn't, because it wasn't built as a cheaper engine.
It was built as an economical engine that produces less power(cheaper to own),....hence the predicament your in now of wanting more.....myself,I wouldn't bother and go get a cheap 5.7 hemi truck to beat on and take your chances...this will be cheaper in the long run if you pursue your current thoughts.....(like others have said)to get to an equal level of the 5.7...
By the way..I think your pipe dreaming and not going to do anything anyway.
My .02 worth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat