How can I get more power, as in horsepower or torque, out of a 4.7 magnum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lord_Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
I have a 4.7 magnum in a 04 single cab short box that is a powerhouse for the size of the truck but I feel I can get more horse or torque out of it. Any suggestions, I do not want to "upgrade" to a hemi.

OP
OP
Lord_Brick

Lord_Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
I would like any amount of added power. I'm really just looking for ideas. It would be preferable to be as reliable as possible but, switching from a stock truck to essentially a race truck, that won't always be the case.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A good place to start is always intake and exhaust. Your engine is essentially a glorified air pump, so the easier it can move air the more power it will make. High flow intake, headers, true dual exhaust and a 91 octane tune will improve power, sound and responsiveness without setting you back too much or really effecting reliability or daily drivability.

After that things get more serious... talking cams, boost, nitrous, or all three depending on your budget and goals.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A good place to start is always intake and exhaust. Your engine is essentially a glorified air pump, so the easier it can move air the more power it will make. High flow intake, headers, true dual exhaust and a 91 octane tune will improve power, sound and responsiveness without setting you back too much or really effecting reliability or daily drivability.

After that things get more serious... talking cams, boost, nitrous, or all three depending on your budget and goals.

Largely agree here, but just installing them alone will only do so much. To really but these upgrades to use, you will need to tune for them as well so your truck knows how to utilize the adjustments.

Many people who will jump in here shortly will say that upgrading your intake is pointless because "your factory intake is already a cold air intake", ya no s***, but that doesn't mean that others still aren't larger/have better geometry to allow for better flow. You don't see the 1000hp builds running a factory intake, and there's a reason.

OP
OP
Lord_Brick

Lord_Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
Ok on the same subject, what would custom make my own electric ProCharger and custom cold air intake, or is there any advice you can give me for doing this?

I would probably use an electric leafblower that runs on 12 volts such as a Milwaukee.

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok on the same subject, what would custom make my own electric ProCharger and custom cold air intake, or is there any advice you can give me for doing this?

I would probably use an electric leafblower that runs on 12 volts such as a Milwaukee.
Not sure if serious

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
People always try to get more power out of 4.7 engines the awnser every time is not much at all can be done just buy a older Hemi more options available. Also the 4.7 sounds terrible with a cold air intake had one on a few of my trucks.
Best of luck.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if serious
Seems lately there have been a small group of posts proposing bizarre ideas for projects. Either there’s something in the air, or perhaps it’s one person creating fake accounts to troll.

If this is legit, somebody let me know the correct size of leaf blower for a 6.4 and I’ll be headed for the track.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Today on "Just rolled in..."

Customer declined all repairs and limped his busted **** out of there.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If you want to blow your engine with some rigged up "home made" blower I hope you enjoy.

There's a saying in the modding community... cheap, fast, reliable, pick  TWO.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is getting into drunk bar talk I think, reminds me of the lawn mower racers,
but Milwaukee runs 18v on the big blowers, the 12v ones are to blow off the bench or dry your hair.
I seem a video of a kid on a skate board doing alright with a gas blower, until he came to a corner.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yup! It is all about volumetric efficiency.

OP
OP
Lord_Brick

Lord_Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
This is getting into drunk bar talk I think, reminds me of the lawn mower racers,
but Milwaukee runs 18v on the big blowers, the 12v ones are to blow off the bench or dry your hair.
I seem a video of a kid on a skate board doing alright with a gas blower, until he came to a corner.
Is there a way someone could use a compositor or a relay to get 18v, theoretically

OP
OP
Lord_Brick

Lord_Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
Today on "Just rolled in..."

Customer declined all repairs and limped his busted **** out of there.
lol, the only difference is that before I invest in anything I'm asking a bunch of strangers who possibly know more than me and I'm really going to think about it.

OP
OP
Lord_Brick

Lord_Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
People always try to get more power out of 4.7 engines the awnser every time is not much at all can be done just buy a older Hemi more options available. Also the 4.7 sounds terrible with a cold air intake had one on a few of my trucks.
Best of luck.
I think you forgot the part where I said I don't want to get a hemi

OP
OP
Lord_Brick

Lord_Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
Seems lately there have been a small group of posts proposing bizarre ideas for projects. Either there’s something in the air, or perhaps it’s one person creating fake accounts to troll.

If this is legit, somebody let me know the correct size of leaf blower for a 6.4 and I’ll be headed for the track.
Just asking for ideas and advice really, but if u really want to try it roadkill used 4 for a 305 Chevy

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Little to no aftermarket support for the 4.7 . Swap in a trutrac and some 4.88s or 5.13s and be done with it. Maybe everyone is telling you to get a truck with a hemi ,because they are more experienced than you and can appreciate sound advice when they hear it over and over again. If money’s the issue ,work more hours and or get a better job .As for the leaf blowers put them and your pipe away. Good luck with any future endeavors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat