5.9L 360 V8 Chuggs, bogs down, backfires while warming up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TaylorU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 V8
I have a 2002 Dodge Ram with a 5.9 L, 360 cubic inch V8.
After about 1 minute from a cold start the engine starts to chugg, bog down and backfire from somewhere under the engine. Once the engine warms up the truck is fine. No matter if you let it warm up by idle or driving, it does it every time. I changed the plugs, wires and router and that wasn't the problem. No engine codes come up either. I want to say the engine hisses while this happens like it is trying to suck air. I thought it was an exhaust leak but I don't think it is.

I also cleaned out the throttle body and that didn't do anything.

HELP!

Thank you!

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Vacuum leak? Maybe it closes up when it gets warm. During warm up spray some starter fluid around the engine to see if it makes it surge.

OP
OP
T

TaylorU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l 360 V8
I tried spraying Quick Start (Ether) just after I started the cold engine at idle and it ran normally. After about 2 minutes of idle it started to chugg and almost stall so I sprayed the engine again and nothing.

You can hear a sucking or hissing noise from around the throttle body and then it starts to chug and stall. I need to use the truck this afternoon so I am going to video tape it.

So right now it doesn't seem to be a vacuume leak :(

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check all the hoses around there to make sure none are cracked or loose at the connection points, sounds like done sort of a vacuum leak to me, but again I'm no expert or novice lol.