93 vs 87 octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
is there much of a performance difference between 87 and 93 octane fuel? better fuel mileage maybe? more power?

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
It's all about avoiding detonation. The higher compression ratio like a boosted engine, requires higher octane gas. Detonation is knock that will eventually destroy and deteriorate an engine. A normal daily driving stock ram will not benefit from 93. 89 is recommended from the factory however, 87 will work just fine. If you have a tuner, then you will be able to benefit somewhat from 93 gas with a 93 tune. If you engines computer does sence detonation, it will retard timing (less power/performance) to save the engine.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As mentioned above...
If the engine is tuned for the higher octane it will benifit from running higher octane in the form of more power. The higher octane itself doesn't make more power, it just allows the engine to run more timing advance which will make more power. Or in the case of high compression or forced induction, the higher octane fuel will resist pre-ignition ...pinging, (aka uncontrolled burning, piston ring land destroyer,etc).
The higher the octane the more resistant to ignition the fuel is. Running 93 octane in an engine tuned and built for 87 octane will do nothing more than drain your wallet faster. You always want to run the lowest octane possible from a performance stand point.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
^^ I agree with this. If you have a programmer, running it on the highest tune with 93 octane will show the best performance gains when you are driving agressive and the best mileage as well if you are driving it easy. The benefits of the higher octane fuel combined with the use of a programmer are well worth the extra $10 it costs at the pump.

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Might be a stupid question, but how can I make sure 100% that my engine doesn't have detonation? I am running the 91 octane tune with my Superchips Flashpaq tuner. It runs great, plus I get better fuel mileage with it and it feels alot more peppier. I just wanna make sure it isn't hurting the motor.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Might be a stupid question, but how can I make sure 100% that my engine doesn't have detonation? I am running the 91 octane tune with my Superchips Flashpaq tuner. It runs great, plus I get better fuel mileage with it and it feels alot more peppier. I just wanna make sure it isn't hurting the motor.

best way is to make sure you are running 91 or above octane fuel, someone please chime in if i am wrong

limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Black Limited 1500
Engine
Hemi
I have tryed both getting the same MPG, but I stay under 60mph,
but i only have 1300 miles on her. I must be getting old I would be on secone set of tires by now back in the day.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
On stock tuning, you wont see much of a difference. The 93 octane fuel really starts to shine when using it with a programmer.

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A little off topic but there's no need to start a new thread for this relatable question I don't think so I apologize to the op in advance!

But I am interested in trying the 91 tune with my flashpaq when I go to fill off tomorrow. I am going to wait until the gas light comes on and then fill up with premium. With that, should I fill up and then just install the tune at the gas station or bring it back home and install the 91 tune? Thanks

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
The gas will mix well enough that you will be fine whether you do it at the gas station or at the house.