87 vs 89 octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deercamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When deciding on V6 vs.V8, the deal breaker was the fuel. The 89 octane is recommended for the V8. In my area 89 octane is currently about 80 cents a gallon more than 87 octane (Mobil). Also, it’s my understanding that unless you patronize top tier fuel stations, the 87 octane fuel lacks the detergent additives of the 89 and 91 octane grades.
I’m also mindful of erratic fuel prices that result from political interference with our energy industry (from a low of $1.96/gallon for top tier regular during the latter part of 2019 to a high of over $4/gallon during the current administration). Rest assured the results of the next election will be reflected in energy prices. So the few extra mgg of the 6, vs. the 8, coupled with the price differential of the fuel, made the 6 a good fit for me.

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
well I bought my '19 because we had a travel trailer so 5.7 v8 was the only choice for me but it ran fine on 87 or 89 whatever regular was when I was filling up. I put mid grade in a few times when towing in high heat but generally used just 87. never had a problem it was one of the best running/driving vehicles I have ever had. had to upgrade to 2500 dsl for the 5th wheel we bought or else I would have kept that '19 laramie till it wore out. back in '03 when I bought my first ram 1500 there was the option of a smaller v8 and the hemi but a couple of people that had the small one said "you will always have your foot in it to get it to go so it will actually not get as good a mileage as the bigger v8". I went with the big motor.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When deciding on V6 vs.V8, the deal breaker was the fuel. The 89 octane is recommended for the V8. In my area 89 octane is currently about 40- 50 cents a gallon more than 87 octane. Also, it’s my understanding that unless you patronize top tier fuel stations, the 87 octane fuel lacks the detergent additives of the 89 and 91 octane grades.
I’m also mindful of erratic fuel prices that result from political interference with our energy industry (from a low of $1.96/gallon for top tier regular during the latter part of 2019 to a high of over $4/gallon during the current administration). Rest assured the results of the next election will be reflected in energy prices. So the few extra mgg of the 6, vs. the 8, coupled with the price differential of the fuel, made the 6 a good fit for me.
What has been your MPG experience thus far? I'm in a '18 3.6L 1/2 ton 4x4. Unloaded, highway miles in the most favorable conditions, I can manage 22mpg running 70-75mph. Drop a 10mph +/- head wind and it goes to about 20.5mpg. My last trip out to Colorado and back (2200 miles) overall MPG was 22. I feel that was pretty good with about 600lbs of cargo, 2 adults, a dog, and all of the hills/mountains. No complaints on fuel mileage of the 3.6 in a full-sized truck. Wouldn't even consider that engine in a full-sized truck if I was towing anything for any distance (e.g. camper, mid to large sized utility trailer, UTV/ATVs, etc). It just doesn't have the grunt to carry a load long term. For straight highway, occasional cargo carrying, it does the job adequately. Low range 4x4 does quite well too.

Deercamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve put about 1600 miles on my ‘24 1500 4WD (3.21). Getting about the same as you on highway. Can get around 23 mpg around town (not much traffic congestion here.) These numbers are what the computer advises, however several forum members believe their vehicles are getting a couple mpg less less than what he computer calculates. Mostly flat driving thus far with not much weight - 2 people and minimal cargo. Will be doing short trips towing a ‘86 Boston Whaler Montauk this summer. Also will occasionally tow a small enclosed aluminum cargo trailer containing either a lawn tractor or wood splitter to camp this summer (400 miles round trip, some hills). The v6 meets my needs for hauling the light trailers. However were i to change anything that i ordered on my truck, i would consider the 3.70 rear end, as some forum members believe that setup with the Ram transmission would deliver as good if not better highway fuel mileage in the 70+ mph range.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
All my hemis except my Durango are tuned, supercharged or pro charged. I run the highest octane I can purchase in my area. The choices are 85 88 and 91 and I'm at 3500 ft above sea level.

I don't have any issues on 91 and the station I purchase from sells it in real gasoline form, no corn.

It's a choice to tune and modify, the gas choice got eliminated based on other decisions.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
Owner's manual says the 5.7 is tuned for 89, but 87 is sufficient. Recommends 89 for "optimum performance and efficiency". Not sure running 91+ would be of any benefit. More isn't always better. Probably the best thing to do is make sure you are using top quality gas (Exxon, Shell....) and not your local El Cheapo stuff.

From the manual:
"Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as
hard starting, stalling, and hesitations. If you
experience these symptoms, try another brand of
gasoline before considering service for the vehicle."

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i read somewhere that 89 burns slightly hotter than. 87, supposedly giving better efficiency. true or not, i don't know. price dictates which one i use, but i prefer 89.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
i read somewhere that 89 burns slightly hotter than. 87, supposedly giving better efficiency. true or not, i don't know. price dictates which one i use, but i prefer 89.
I figure that 89 is about $.30 more than 87 and I usually put in about 20ish gallons at fill-up, so about $6-8 more per tank. For me it comes out to around an extra $20-30 per month, well worth getting the good stuff. I just spent over $50K on this beautiful, bad-ass Hemi 5.7 truck...I'm not going to cheap-out on gas.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I figure that 89 is about $.30 more than 87 and I usually put in about 20ish gallons at fill-up, so about $6-8 more per tank. For me it comes out to around an extra $20-30 per month, well worth getting the good stuff. I just spent over $50K on this beautiful, bad-ass Hemi 5.7 truck...I'm not going to cheap-out on gas.
Per week? I forget sometimes that there are people that are not retired. I have had this truck for 11 month. In that period I have filled up 11 times. :fishing1:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Per week? I forget sometimes that there are people that are not retired. I have had this truck for 11 month. In that period I have filled up 11 times. :fishing1:

I'm retired 2 years now. I don't write it down but I think I top off the 26 gallon tank about every 3 weeks when it reaches 1/2.

I think my annual mileage varies between 5,000 miles - 7,000 miles. Trying to put some of that mileage on my wife's Eclipse which averages 1500 miles/year. Then we can both qualify for the low-mileage insurance discount.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm retired 2 years now. I don't write it down but I think I top off the 26 gallon tank about every 3 weeks when it reaches 1/2.

I think my annual mileage varies between 5,000 miles - 7,000 miles. Trying to put some of that mileage on my wife's Eclipse which averages 1500 miles/year. Then we can both qualify for the low-mileage insurance discount.
I'm just now not quite at 11 months since I drove it home. They gave it to me with a full tank on 24 Mar 2023, and I didn't get gas until 24 April. Yesterday as I got home, it was almost at 4000 miles on the odometer so I'm running about 350 miles per month. It's my daily driver, but I live real rural and most days there isn't anywhere to drive to so it sits in the driveway for sometimes 5 or 6 days straight without moving.

Deercamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Re: the el cheapo fuel stations, they may cut corners to reduce operating expenses. The filters on station fuel pumps should be periodically changed, I believe about every 300,000 gallons or every 6 months. Not surprisingly, I have heard that all stations do not stick to this protocol. A symptom that could be caused by a filter overdue for replacement is a very slow flow of fuel during fill up. I have experienced that on several occasions and then avoid those stations. I believe top tier stations are held to a higher standard in terms of scheduled filter replacement and other maintenance protocols, after all, they represent a corpoate entity concerned with their image. For these and other reasons, the 3 grades of top tier fuels make sense, whichever grade the manufacturer recommends.

(My late Dad distributed Shell oil products in the 50’s & 60’s. He mentioned that if a batch of Shell fuel does not meet specs, it is not destroyed or modified to meet specs, rather it is sold on the open market and ends up as bargain brand. This was quite a while ago so it may no longer apply.) However the cost of a Ram is significant, particularly the cost of servicing/replacing sophisticated engine components (injectors/catalytic converters/oxygen sensors etc.). If one leases their Ram, fuel choices would not be a significant issue. Those of us who keep our vehicles for a decade or so should seriously consider paying a nickel more a gallon, patronizing top tier stations.

Suggest you check this link which discusses watered down fuel and sediment in fuel:
https://www.nbcnews.com › business › consumer › watered-down-gas-way-more-common-you

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Re: the el cheapo fuel stations, they may cut corners to reduce operating expenses. The filters on station fuel pumps should be periodically changed, I believe about every 300,000 gallons or every 6 months. Not surprisingly, I have heard that all stations do not stick to this protocol. A symptom that could be caused by a filter overdue for replacement is a very slow flow of fuel during fill up. I have experienced that on several occasions and then avoid those stations. I believe top tier stations are held to a higher standard in terms of scheduled filter replacement and other maintenance protocols, after all, they represent a corpoate entity concerned with their image. For these and other reasons, the 3 grades of top tier fuels make sense, whichever grade the manufacturer recommends.

(My late Dad distributed Shell oil products in the 50’s & 60’s. He mentioned that if a batch of Shell fuel does not meet specs, it is not destroyed or modified to meet specs, rather it is sold on the open market and ends up as bargain brand. This was quite a while ago so it may no longer apply. However the cost of a Ram is significant

Suggest you check this link which discusses watered down fuel and sediment in fuel:
https://www.nbcnews.com › business › consumer › watered-down-gas-way-more-common-you
Spot on The filtration and maintenance at stations is a huge issue, especially where it is really cold. I buy gas at Costco partly becuase i am shooping there anyhow, it is top tier and cheaper, but the single biggest reason is you NEVER get water or contaminated fuel from them.

They are the only station I will buy fuel while the tamker is unloading or has just finished unloading, though even at Costco I try not to buy fuel that has just been roiled up by the new fuel dump. Water and contaminants sink, a fuel fill mixes it back into the fuel, till it settles out again.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I didn't realize Costco had met top tier. That's good. Unless things have changed, more detergent in higher octanes too. I always stick with top tier and the recommended octane. On my 5.7 Charger it recommends mid grade but states it'll be okay on 87. I never get 87, and it's always top tier.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I didn't realize Costco had met top tier. That's good. Unless things have changed, more detergent in higher octanes too. I always stick with top tier and the recommended octane. On my 5.7 Charger it recommends mid grade but states it'll be okay on 87. I never get 87, and it's always top tier.
It is Top Tier here in Canada, don't know if it is the same in the States.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Straight from Curmudgeon's Butt-Dyno Testing, Inc.

I had switched from Rutter's top-tier to Sunoco, and
89 octane to 89 octane. About 3/4 tank. I may have
gained a couple tenths in MPG but I doubt me.

The next 3/4 tank was also Sunoco, same station but
upped the octane to the 91.

After filling up and a 10 mile ride home, before shutting
the motor off I could swear the truck felt smoother. Almost
like a very slight miss had gone away.

That's when I noticed my radio antenna mast on the
passenger-side. It' used to vibrate ever-so-slightly
when sitting and idling. It is now completely motionless,
just like it is when the motor is off.
The truck has done this as far back as I can recall but not
anymore.
I have no whiz-bang 21st century code reader so the antenna
and my ass will have to suffice, but I found it interesting.

Truck is just under 106,000 miles.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Use this to find your local Top Tier gas stations.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I buy 89 octane. I was running 87 in the winter during the first couple of months after I bought it, but now it’s only 89 all year round.

It’s not a lot more. The manual recommends it. The engineers must’ve thought it was important enough to put the recommendation in the manual. I might put premium in when towing this summer.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

(My late Dad distributed Shell oil products in the 50’s & 60’s. He mentioned that if a batch of Shell fuel does not meet specs, it is not destroyed or modified to meet specs, rather it is sold on the open market and ends up as bargain brand. This was quite a while ago so it may no longer apply.) However the cost of a Ram is significant, particularly the cost of servicing/replacing sophisticated engine components (injectors/catalytic converters/oxygen sensors etc.). If one leases their Ram, fuel choices would not be a significant issue. Those of us who keep our vehicles for a decade or so should seriously consider paying a nickel more a gallon, patronizing top tier stations.

I can tell you factually that almost ALL gas stations run filters until a problem presents. Be that slow-flow, phase separation, water issues, etc. Per-filter costs and service call prices make it not very cost-effective to do regularly scheduled preventative maintenance. I worked in the industry for a bunch of years (building, maintaining, upgrading, servicing, retrofitting, etc "gas stations" (c-stores) and commercial fueling equipment). I worked with a bunch of major oil companies and I will say that PM on filters is pretty low on the list of things they focus on. They normally only get changed after a problem presents. "Normal" gasoline filtration occurs at 10 micron level, 30 micron on diesel and similar fluids. You are correct, a reduced flow is normally associated with filtration. There is a threshold where slow flow gets slow enough, that it becomes a separate issue stemming from either a turbine performance/restriction issue (turbine pushing fuel from the underground storage tank to dispensers) or leak monitoring equipment faulting for some reason.

It's also true that batches of fuel that don't meet QA guidelines for major oil (improper level of detergent as an example) either get re-processed, or more commonly, diverted to a larger holding tank with other "inferior" blends of gasoline and sold as base-rate fuel. These often end up at the unbranded mom and pop shops.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat