blueprints for 392 stroker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elder1691

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well im looking to build a 392 stroker for my truck. i would like to supercharge it im building it from the block up. anyone have any blueprints or parts list looking for mid range price need to be reliable on the street have any hp and tq ideas this set up will give me

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
There are a couple of factory service manuals posted/linked online. Just Google 2007 Ram factory service manual and a few of the forums have them, that will be your best reference for building the engine. Get your block cleaned and honed before purchasing your stroker assembly incase you need to get the cylinders bored if there's any damage or warping.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So what are you going to do for a transmission? Seeing as that RFE is NOT going to hold up long lol.

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sweet man keep us posted, the rfe is a great tranny and there are plenty of upgrades all over the internet. If my warranty tells me to **** off when mine dies I'm gonna buy a built one from Aligator performance.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
whatever you plan to do with that transmission LET ME KNOW!!!!! I have burned six 545RFE and I'm only around 500HP but plan on getting a new engine from inertia to put 800+ out....so i gotta figure something out!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
whatever you plan to do with that transmission LET ME KNOW!!!!! I have burned six 545RFE and I'm only around 500HP but plan on getting a new engine from inertia to put 800+ out....so i gotta figure something out!

4L80 swap and you'll be fine. Custom driveshaft, crossmember, stand alone controller or manual valve body and you're golden. You can order some with a bellhousing and adapter to bolt to a Gen III hemi and there's even adapters available if you want to bolt a chrysler transfer case if you're 4wd.

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Charonblk07 if I got the 4L80E swapped in, bolted up. What would I do with my current PCM/TCM and the electrical connections from my stock harness? I have no problem getting everything bolted up and adapted, im at a loss for electrical

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Charonblk07 if I got the 4L80E swapped in, bolted up. What would I do with my current PCM/TCM and the electrical connections from my stock harness? I have no problem getting everything bolted up and adapted, im at a loss for electrical

Electrical connections would just be bagged and tied out of the way. The PCM can either be swapped from a truck that had a manual from the factory or you can have your PCM tuned to reflect an manual trans; in HPTuners it's a simple check box that removes all trans programming and Diablo CMR is similar. If it's 4wd with an electronic shifting transfer case then PATC has an adpater to run the 23-spline t-case on the 4L80 so nothing needs to be done electronically with the t-case. To control the 4L80 you can either run a manual valve body or you can run any of the 10+ stand alone TCMs for the 4L80.

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have a 2WD so that seems to save me a lot of headache.

So essentially all I would need to do the swap is a:

conversion adapter-
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop...emi-to-4l80e-or-any-other-chevy-transmission/

A custom Driveshaft
Custom Cross-member to hold it up
A stand alone controller for 4L80E
Either have my tuner (HemiFever) switch the PCM/TCM profile to manual trans
OR buy a PCM out of a wrecked dodge w/ standard and slap it in?

would I need much more than that? Other than a GV if I decide I want 5 gears lol

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
That's about everything from the list I have that's 2wd related. You'll also need a new torque converter for the 4L80 and it'll bolt to the new flexplate that comes with the adapter kit.

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have seen guys that have done swaps to different trans and their speedometer doesn't work anymore, what would I need to do to make sure my speedo still works fine. same with RPM??

If I bought a manual PCM would I have to get it flashed to match my VIN before I could start it up? if so, how do I do that?

I assume the shift cable would just need to be adapted over to? Or do I need to get a 4L80E shift cable?

I am just trying to imagine everything I can because when I come back from deployment I want to have everything waiting for me ready to swap in

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I have seen guys that have done swaps to different trans and their speedometer doesn't work anymore, what would I need to do to make sure my speedo still works fine. same with RPM??

If I bought a manual PCM would I have to get it flashed to match my VIN before I could start it up? if so, how do I do that?

I assume the shift cable would just need to be adapted over to? Or do I need to get a 4L80E shift cable?

I am just trying to imagine everything I can because when I come back from deployment I want to have everything waiting for me ready to swap in

The Ram uses the rear ABS sensors to determine the vehicle speed. That's why wheel diameter is the only variable required for the PCM to calculate speed/distance and gear ratio is not required to be changed. The 4L80 has an output speed sensor but it isn't used with the ram's PCM.

Any new PCM needs to be flashed to the truck's VIN and mileage before it can be used.

Right now the only way to shift the 4l80 that I know at the moment is to run an aftermarket shifter like a TCI Outlaw or B&M Stealth. The 545 uses a reverse solenoid and the 4l80 needs a forward solenoid, I plan to see if I make a bracket that will work with the factory shift linkage, it shouldn't be that difficult, just have to determine the difference in the shift lever arm length requirements.

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
oh that's good to know about the speed sensor, so really all I need to do is connect the controllers RPM output to existing wiring and go off that.

I have never flashed a pcm would I need to take it to a shop or what for that?

That was kinda my though process was try to make a bracket to use the linkage, I didn't realize that it was reversed (hemi pushes into D, rather than pulls into D for 4L80)

When are you doing your conversion? depending on when I may fall right in line behind you to learn lol....

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
A dealership is the best place to get a PCM flashed but any shop with a StarScan should be able to do it. Depending on where you get the PCM from, some online retailers can flash it all for you during purchase for an extra charge.

Any automatic controller would need a 0-5V Throttle Position input which can come from tapping the gas pedal or you can get it from the throttle body; the pedal is a better location.

I will be doing the conversion either next winter or if my rebuilt 545 dies this summer. I'm starting to piece together the required parts now.

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well stay tuned this fall Im sure I will be talking with you on this. Im ordering a ton of parts right now for after deployment I will be starting this :).

I have heard that tapping into the signal wire for the 0-5v is best at the pedal so im sure that's exactly where I will be going for it. then Ill just have to figure out and verify if I can tap into the "tac input" wire off the old harness or tap into it after the new pcm since im sure it will be sending it out a bit different..