Fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have an 04' 1500 5.7 Hemi, and sometimes when it gets hot after a log trip, or hauling, I'd I turn it off briefly and try turning it back on, it cranks but won't turn over. I try cranking it the first time and nothing. But as soon as I crank it the second time it fires up. Lately it's getting worse and takes 3 cycles to get it fired up, I think it might be the fuel pump going out. Any opinions? Any input helps, thanks guys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 65

MichaelG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Had the same thing happen to me in Moab the last week.. stopped to take a pic up Onion Creek (waaay up) and truck wouldn't start back up. Cycled the engine and couldn't hear the pump pressurizing the system, ended up banging on the tank with my tent stake mallet and presto, problem "solved." Been pressing my luck ever since and the truck's been running strong, fires right up, no signs of failure and fuel pressure steady at top of range (60psi) and I haven't had a problem since (probably 500+miles, 40 some-odd starts).

I bought a replacement OEM pump module the other day and am most likely going to install it this week but I was wondering if you've had any additional issues and/or how you resolved it? I'm also considering having the tank "boiled" by a local radiator shop if I see any grime.. for an extra $145 seems to make sense if I'm going to all this trouble anyway. I do wonder, however, what part the heat, hard driving conditions played in the failure, what exactly failed and in what way the conditions played a part (especially since the tank was 3/4 full when the pump failed).

Anyway I'm quite certain the pump is just crapping out and I doubt I'll get the "mystery solved" gratification I seek but if you have any additional input I'd be curious to hear, and if anyone else has anything to add I'd appreciate it!