header coating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
well, its getting close to the time for me to get my headers. I have decided on shorties because of the ease of the install and i dont have the funding for the custom fab work of long tubes. But i do have a few questions for the ram gods on the best ram forum........

A: best to worst header coatings, "stainless" "ceramic" etc. and y
B: are all brands pretty much the same hp gain

THANKS Forum is awsome BTW

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Well, my shallow water friend in this day and age I still take exception to statements such as your signature that's only purpose is the **** folks off. Our sailors deserve better.

SilentRamAD

Reaction score
Ram Year
08 QCSB 2wd
Engine
287 4.7L
Well, my shallow water friend in this day and age I still take exception to statements such as your signature that's only purpose is the **** folks off. Our sailors deserve better.

Believe it or not, most armed service branches have their little sayings about the others in all fun and games, unless you're in the service too then fair enough. I call my cousin who's in the navy a salt swab all the time because I get crap from him since I was considering the AF (fairy). Rant over.

To the OP, I don't quite have much info but I'm sure others will chime in :)

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
Im proud to be in the Chair Force!!

1. Ceramic hands down. better transfer of heat = better performance. they look brand new forever, last WAY longer cause the metal is protected.
2. Stainless - dont rust quite as easy as painted, but still change colors instantly
3. Painted - garbage. look good for first 5 minutes. after first winter they start rusting

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would get ceramic coating unless you find a great deal. Stainless will last, but I would even get them ceramic coated.

As far as brand, from my research BBK, JBA, and Edelbrock are about the same in performance gains. I went with BBK chrome shorties because I got a great deal on them. They are definitely better performance wise than the stock manifolds.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Get the ceramic and then look into the JBA shorties or the eldelbrock TES, been hearing that after LT's those two are up there on the list for shorties.

Also with the LT's there really isn't a whole lot of fab work to get them in. Take the Pacesetter LT's, you can pick up their off road Y for fairly cheap and that kit bolts straight up to the headers, no welding required (although mine leaked like an SOB until I got it welded up). If you want to keep the cats in place you can pick up some high flows for around $90 or so and it should slide right on, no welding either. All the fab work comes if you want to do something else (like going with a true dual setup or retaining the stock cats).

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1. Ceramic hands down. better transfer of heat = better performance. they look brand new forever, last WAY longer cause the metal is protected.
2. Stainless - dont rust quite as easy as painted, but still change colors instantly
3. Painted - garbage. look good for first 5 minutes. after first winter they start rusting

All of this.

OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
And im a proud puddle pirate!!!!

OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
and also, i love this forum to much to **** people off, and im sorry if i offended anyone.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well, its getting close to the time for me to get my headers. I have decided on shorties because of the ease of the install and i dont have the funding for the custom fab work of long tubes. But i do have a few questions for the ram gods on the best ram forum........

A: best to worst header coatings, "stainless" "ceramic" etc. and y
B: are all brands pretty much the same hp gain

THANKS Forum is awsome BTW

Do LT's. You will get more out of them and you can do the job with zero fab work.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and also, i love this forum to much to **** people off, and im sorry if i offended anyone.

Don't worry about it man. You made a joke, somebody said their piece and we all moved on. Right guys?

OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks Frog, just dont wanna make anyone mad over something stupid, As for the long tubes being "no fab work. Can i still use the factory cats? or will they not slip fit to clamp? and if i need to move the cats back wont the wires on the 02 sensors not reach? Long tubes would be pretty bada$$ specialy cause my exhaust already screams and i was looking into that remote raceland cutout

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have smog check where you are, forget LTs.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Frog, just dont wanna make anyone mad over something stupid, As for the long tubes being "no fab work. Can i still use the factory cats? or will they not slip fit to clamp? and if i need to move the cats back wont the wires on the 02 sensors not reach? Long tubes would be pretty bada$$ specialy cause my exhaust already screams and i was looking into that remote raceland cutout

The factory cats will not work, but if you buy some high flows they will slip right onto the header colelctor and then the y-pipe can fit onto the high flow. That is how I did mine and it took no fabbing at all, just remove the old and put in all the new.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Hey you can get the stock cats to work.... Did it with mine.... BUT it requires a bit of fab work to get them to work right.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
If I were you, I'd go with the pacesetter LT's Ceramic Coated. You'll love the extra power, and they sound great. Only modification needed is splice your rear O2 wires/or buy extenders, and cut a small tab off the transmission (takes 10 seconds). DO IT DO IT!

Im proud to be in the Chair Force!!

Yeah Im also a pround AF member! Hate when we get called the chair force... cause I swear, my job lets me sit in a chair about 30 seconds out of each day, to check my email and thats it. But hell, it's pretty funny and to each there own. Im all about branch to branch rivalries. Keeps it fun and competitive!

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have the jba ceramic coated shorties and they still look brand new. have had them for over 3 years.

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
either way I have seen vehicles run both stainless and ceramic coating. Ceramic coating also lowers under hood temp and it will resist discoloring. My money goes to ceramics but if you can get a good deal on stainless ones that you like better then cool that should work as long as you do not mind the discoloring.

OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
smog.......if thats emissions then i guess there a no go, and how would longer headers make an emmisions different if the exhaust still has to go through te cats, will i pass with shorties?