How much oil does your hemi burn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi5speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I burn about 3 quarts every 3000 miles. With a new pcv valve and no trace of blue smoke should I assume this is normal oil consumption?

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My HEMI uses about one quart of oil in 5,000 miles, even less if most of the 5K are Interstate driven.

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm around 3-4 quarts every oil change. seems like I smell something that resembles burning oil. People say they have seen a little smoke when I've drove off before.. Saw one blue cloud once when I floored it once. Don't know what to say but from everything I've read , seems older trucks may burn some. Seems common for a quart or two but I'm no expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember right, Dodge states that 1qt per 1000 miles is normal. As for my truck, I've put almost 3000 miles on it and hasn't burned a drop. My Buick Lucerne burns about 1qt to every 1000 and Buick says thats normal and acceptable consumption.

OP
OP
Hemi5speed

Hemi5speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I remember right, Dodge states that 1qt per 1000 miles is normal. As for my truck, I've put almost 3000 miles on it and hasn't burned a drop. My Buick Lucerne burns about 1qt to every 1000 and Buick says thats normal and acceptable consumption.

Any chance you can tell me where you found that info? And thank you

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I burn ZERO, 7qts out, 7qts in every 5k

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't burn any oil either.

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wish I didn't burn any oil. Would give me better peace of mind. Maybe I shouldn't have a lead foot sometimes... Oh well she still runs and drives good so I'll deal with it for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
Not a 3rd gen, but I have to add 1 liter of oil between oil changes. 10,000km oil change interval

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure about my Ram yet as I have only had it for a little over a week, but my 2006 Charger (build date of August 2005, taken possession on September 2005) has 67K miles on it and burns less than 1/8 of a quart. Occasionally, there will be a blue puff of smoke when I start the engine, but from what I understand, its oil draining/dripping down the valve stems, past the keepers and seals, as well as the oil going thru the PCV system back into the intake. As for the PCV, the less you push, the higher the vacuum, the more gets pushed thru the PCV. Since I put a catch can on the Charger, the blue clouds have gotten less frequent and a lot smaller.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mines about a qt per 1k miles

RedRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any chance you can tell me where you found that info? And thank you

I looked high and low this morning for the exact article and could not find it. My searches are turning up about the same info I read on the Chrysler engineers article. Which was close to this:
Industry Standards for Normal Engine Oil Consumption:

Mileage below 50,000 miles / 80,000 kilometers: Normal oil consumption is one quart for each 1,000 miles driven / one litre for every 1600 km's driven.
Mileage above 50,000 miles / 80,000 kilometers: Normal oil consumption is one quart for each 750 miles driven / one litre for every 1200 km's driven.

Oil consumption can vary, in each vehicle, due to many different circumstances. Some of the following are examples under which oil consumption may increase on a vehicle:

1. Age and mileage due to normal engine wear.
2. During engine break-in time, typically up to about 7500 miles
3. During severe service use such as heavy loading, towing, off road, etc.
4. Sustained high speed driving.
5. If there is a failure to comply with recommended oil type and viscosity ratings as outlined in the owners manual.

In order for excessive oil consumption to be determined, a supervised oil consumption test must be performed by the dealership, and an evaluation made.
Edmunds states:A quart of oil every 3,000 miles is quite within acceptable engineering limits for a modern engine with some miles on it, and it isn't indicative of any problem; in fact, burning a little oil is probably good for the engine, as it tends to lubricate the valve stem area.

It would be more harmful to not check the oil level than to burn a quart every 3000 miles.

Some very exotic cars will burn a quart of oil every 3,000 miles right out of the box.

They all sound about the same!! Sorry I cant find the article I ref to.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I go through about a litre every 5k km which is 3k miles so sounds like im right in the money lol
It seems like a few weeks after the oil change it will go down a litre in one shot, add 1 then it doesnt move for a while.
It is consuming less now after a few penz platinum changes, when i got it last summer the oil got black very quickly and it seems like i was adding oil every few weeks.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The only oil I lose from the sump I capture in my catch can as funky milkshake.

OP
OP
Hemi5speed

Hemi5speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seems like I burn more than most you guys. But is there really a cause for concern with no blue smoke?

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Hemi5speed,

Probably not much help but I have 7500 miles on my 13 and it hasn't lost any oil. 1 quart per 1000 miles is excessive. That is going somewhere and if you aren't seeing blue smoke then it is leaking out somewhere. That much oil being burnt should be visible especially on start up and hard acceleration. What does your oil pressure look like at idle and under load? Like NY said check all your plugs and make sure they are light grey and they are consistent in color. If one is different, ie black or dark brown, that cylinder may have a problem. Check compression to see if all the cylinders are similar and within spec. Again if one is significantly different that cylinder may be your problem. A quick check would be to get a buddy to follow you and get on it a bit and see if it blowing blue smoke when you are on the throttle.
I just can't see that much oil consumption being normal in any way. I wonder if a catch can would show that the oil is being blown into the gas charge through the pvc system? Might be something else to try.
Hope you get it sorted.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since my exhaust is dumped, I don't think I can check for smoke to easy lol

OP
OP
Hemi5speed

Hemi5speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm pretty meticulous about my truck so I guarantee no oil leaks. My edge insight says 47psi of oil pressure no matter the amount of throttle, which doesn't seem right. Shouldn't it be less at wot? I haven't had anyone follow me to look for blue smoke but I have had people watch me drive off