T-case plug stripped out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xJohhnyxCrunkx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I tried to change out the fluid in my transfer case, only to find the last owner stripped out the hex on the fill plug :( I tried to weld on a nut and heat it with a torch but was unsuccessful since the weld wasn't sticking to the plug. Any ideas how to get it out, drilling it out will be my last resort since I want to avoid any shavings getting into the case. Thanks!

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No great solution. If it is sticking out enough maybe try cutting a good slot in it. Or try a small hole and getting a small easy-out to grab onto it?

Upside is at least you know the PO was servicing it at some point........or tried.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
be careful welding onto anything close to the t-case as the outer shell is made of aluminium and very sensitive to warpage if over heated.

I have seen guys build a huge dimple on a stud with TIG welding and using the build-up to unscrew a stuck stud. Maybe if you know a good welding shop they could do that for you and would enable you to get the plug out.

In most cases, folks don't put any sealing compound on those plugs and the difference in material (steel plug in aluminium casing) gets the plugs to fuse with the case. The use of thread sealant is must in those cases.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had this happen on my jeep wangler years ago. You are not going to like what I did to solve it. Drill a hole dead center, and use a ez-out. (reverse direction drill bit looking thing that grips but doesn't drill). I had a shop do strip it out. I replaced it with a hex head bolt from a jeep Cherokee, instead of the hex style plug.