Throttle control and cruise control issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyrenSkywolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 - Hedman Shorties - K&N CAI
So, I've searched around on here and the internet in general, without much overall help on this.

A few weeks back, coming home from work on the highway, I tossed on the cruise control. Everything was going fine for a mile or so. The throttle was revved up a bit going up a small incline, which is normal. However, at the crest, the throttle didn't drop completely down, and suddenly the truck started decelerating, and the Electronic Throttle Control Light started flashing (didn't know that was what it was at the time). I pulled over, turned it off, turned it back on, and everything was fine after that.

I have used the cruise control on and off since then without issue.

Fast forward to yesterday. We took a day trip to a couple towns (120 miles away). 70-80mph the entire way there, using cruise control some of the time, taking a mountain pass (did not use cruise control in the pass), and didn't have an issue at all. It only reinforced that the issue before was a fluke.

After spending a couple hours in the first town, we got on the highway to head to the next town. Got up to speed, and set cruise control. Within a mile the issue above repeated itself. This time I switched to neutral and restarted without pulling over. Everything was fine, except the cruise control light on the dash wouldn't come on, no matter how often the on/off button was pushed.

Got to the next town, and after our first stop, I started up the truck, and the cruise control could be turned on/off again, but didn't use it. After spending a couple hours there, we headed out, and once on the highway I decided to test it out again. Issue repeated itself again within a mile. Did the rolling restart again, and everything was fine, except unlike last time, the cruise control was able to be turned on/off this time.

Didn't use cruise control the rest of the trip.

I never have any issues when I'm not using cruise control, and obviously not every time on cruise control (except the last two times were consecutive). It does not stall, but goes into idle safe mode.

This morning I pulled the codes:

P2106 Throttle Actuator Ctrl Sys-Forced Limited Power
P2108 Throttle Actuator Ctrl Mod Perf
P1501 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR 1/2 CORRELATION - DRIVE WHEELS (Equipped with ABS)

I know my throttle body needs a good cleaning, but haven't had a chance to do that yet (have the tutorial on this site bookmarked).
Addons: Hedman shorties, K&N CAI, Superchips Flashpaq 3865, all installed a good month or more before this issue started.

Everything is pointing to something with the cruise control. Speed sensor starting to go possibly?

I also wasn't able to pull the codes with the SC, I had to use the odometer method. I was able to clear the codes with the SC, though.

KNG SNKE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue. Clean your throttle body. Use starter fluid to clean it and detach it from the truck. I ended up getting the solution from a Dodge Tech and it's been flawless for over a year and a half now. Take it out and clean it good.

OP
OP
SyrenSkywolf

SyrenSkywolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 - Hedman Shorties - K&N CAI
Thanks for the info. I hope that solves it. Most posts I have seen don't have the P1501 code listed, so I was thinking it might be beyond that.

I am going to try and get it cleaned next week (Spring Break). I know it needs it. I confirmed that when I put the CAI on.