Air bag sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jb7054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of nowhere 2 weeks ago my airbag light chimed on. Now it keeps going on and off with a chime every 5 minutes while I'm driving. So far yelling at it hasn't fixed the problem and I'm getting close to steering the truck into a wall. Anybody know a simple fix or a way to turn off the chime? The trucks got 30,000 miles and nothing that should impact the airbag sensor. Any ideas where exactly the sensors are? Or if it's part of the air bag recall? I've come to realize that dealer mechanics are a useless waste of money after they had my truck for two weeks for a problem that a private mechanic ended up solving in a day. If it's something I can do my self I'd appreciate the suggestions. Thanks.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
SAFETY!!!!!!!!!!!

Take it to dealer and have them check it
IOsnt it still under warranty??

OP
OP
J

Jb7054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not under warranty. It's a 2013

OP
OP
J

Jb7054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealer cost me a fortune and 2 weeks without my truck for a bad idle/stalling problem that they ultimately said they couldn't fix. turned out to be a dirty throttle body. I refuse to go to a dealer mechanic.

NickM757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had the same issue with the "airbag service" light. I wiggled and made sure all electrical connections under driver/passenger seats were tight and made sure the fuses under the hood were seated. It worked and no light or dinging has happened since 2 weeks ago when I did that. I drive a 2014 1500 5.7 Express single cab

OP
OP
J

Jb7054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which seat is the unit under? That's a possibility. Didn't realize it was under a seat

NickM757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are just a bunch of electrical connections under both seats. Not sure about a single unit

OP
OP
J

Jb7054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll check it out. Thanks

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If the airbag light is on there are codes set. You need to get those codes retrieved so you know where to go. Find a shop that can retrieve airbag DTCs. Best bet is dealer, believe it or not not all dealers and techs are the same. Maybe try a different dealer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jb7054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had the same issue with the "airbag service" light. I wiggled and made sure all electrical connections under driver/passenger seats were tight and made sure the fuses under the hood were seated. It worked and no light or dinging has happened since 2 weeks ago when I did that. I drive a 2014 1500 5.7 Express single cab

I unplugged and reconnected all the wires under the front seats and so far the light is staying off. I drove about 40 miles with a few restarts in between. Not sure which plug did it. I checked the codes with an OBD scanner and nothing comes up for the air bags. Hopefully that did the trick. Thanks for the help.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I unplugged and reconnected all the wires under the front seats and so far the light is staying off. I drove about 40 miles with a few restarts in between. Not sure which plug did it. I checked the codes with an OBD scanner and nothing comes up for the air bags. Hopefully that did the trick. Thanks for the help.

Many aftermarket scanners not able to retrieve airbag codes. If the lights on there's a code.

Since you unplugged the squib connectors under the seat. The code was likely for the thorax airbag circuit. I've seen it quite a few times, it's usually caused by a pin issue in the connectors or a fault in the harness.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i may be wrong, but i thought airbag/seatbelts were unlimited warranty because of safety

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
i may be wrong, but i thought airbag/seatbelts were unlimited warranty because of safety

They are not, seat belts are 10years I believe but everything else is normal warranty.

OP
OP
J

Jb7054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So far the lights still off. Hopefully it stays that way. Weird thing is somedays the light would stay on all the time and other days it would keep coming on and off driving me crazy in the process. Nothing seemed loose and the plugs were all snapped together but I'll just be happy with the results and not wonder why

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So far the lights still off. Hopefully it stays that way. Weird thing is somedays the light would stay on all the time and other days it would keep coming on and off driving me crazy in the process. Nothing seemed loose and the plugs were all snapped together but I'll just be happy with the results and not wonder why

I can just about guarantee you it's in that harness. Pretty much the same situation as yours is what we would see. If it ever starts coming back I'd recommend just replacing the harness. Sometimes we would just unplug then plug them back in and it would be good for awhile, others would be back next week with the light on.