Alarm system with OEM Key Fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liquid_Squelch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm looking to add an alarm to my 2011 Big Horn that uses a RKE in the ignition instead of a regular key. (I think it is called the RKE) I would like to use the OEM keyfob to arm/disarm the alarm instead of having to put another module on the keyring - and most importantly - in my pockets!

I'm looking at Viper systems for now, but I am open to anything that will allow me to use the RAM RKE. (I personally hate the multi tone siren that viper has been using for years) I understand to use a viper, i will need the XpressKit and have it programmed for a 2011 RAM.

However, I need to have the perimeter sensor on it. I had a few 'youts' steal the valve stem covers on my truck. Fool me once...shame on me. I am also up in the air on a glass break sensor since I park on the street.

With that said, is there an alarm system that I can use?

And, are alarms still crazy insane to install, or does everything now interface into the Xpress Bus? If there is 1,000 wires and relays to tap into, I might as well let an authorized dealer install. But, if I can just hook up 12v and ground into the Xpress bus, i'll take the challenge myself.

Finally, if I am using the Xpress Bus with an alarm, do I lose the ability to have remote start from the Xpress Module?

Thanks for the help.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
hmm I know way back with my parents Caravan and Sebring both had factory key fobs and had add on alarms and were able to use the factory fob as the only remote. Not sure the brand as that was 10+ yrs ago. My thought as all factory would go back to the dealer and get the OEM alarm installed. Although not cheap

OP
OP
L

Liquid_Squelch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I do know from research that the OEM fob can used with the Xpress kit, if used for just remote start... but I don't know is if I can use the OEM Fob with the options I would like.

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was in the same situation as you are right now a few months ago... Here's the scoop.. there are only a hand full of car alarm companys that make an add-on alarm or upgrade whatever they call it. Avital 3001L , Viper 3901V Both of these alarms have the shock sensor on-board meaning internal to the unit. (PITA to adjust sensitivity) I have the Avital worked great but it was a PITA to install. I have some issues with it now... so here are the other companys that make oem upgrade alarms... Crimestopper CS-883.OEM they stop making this model but I was able to find it on-line(still waiting for it) Audiovox/Prestige/Codealarm also make some alarms. Good luck if I can help in any way let me know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Liquid_Squelch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the reply and help. Do these alarms just interface with the electronic BUS system, or do I need to also install relays and tap wires like what had to be done years ago?

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:waytogo:
Thanks for the reply and help. Do these alarms just interface with the electronic BUS system, or do I need to also install relays and tap wires like what had to be done years ago?

Basically these alarms take the door lock and unlock signals and use that to arm and disarm. The rest is just like a standard alarm... shock sensor, starter kill and if you want to install a motion and tilt sensor you can add it as well. I just stuck with the basic install. I didn't even use the starter kill due to my factory remote start. What I did do is add a relay to turn off the shock sensor when I use the remote start. It prevents the alarm from going off. :) as for the canbus these alarms don't interact with the factory alarm. The express kits (canbus kit) is made for easy install, you can add remote start and it wouldn't interfere with the aftermarket alarm. Pretty much they work in conjunction. But they have to be programed and it's a PITA. That's why I went with the add in alarm.

Last edited: