Amateur Wiring Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
So I have been pretty lazy/uneducated in my wiring so I wanted to come hold my head in shame and ask of the ways...

When installing new electronics such as an amp or siren module, I typically splice the power wire into an already existing wire that I know gets signal.. In this case, the cigarette lighter. Well needless to say, the fuse blew when I was tweaking some light bar wiring. Aside from the fact that I didn't wire the light bars correctly, it has made me realize that MY WIRING IS MESSY.

So I wanted to ask what the proper procedure was for wiring a new electronic device into the truck. Do I need to run a fused line to the battery for each device with a specific amperage rating? I have a LOT of electronics inside so I'd have to run a lot of wires... Is there a way to run a single wire inside and then all the fuses inside from each device? Is this even the right way to do this? Currently I have devices jumping onto other devices and it's really bothering me and I need to fix it.

Please help educate me on the proper way to add new electronic devices to the truck. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
This is what I've always done and it was worked great for me. The newer cars/trucks these days actual can monitor voltage/wattage on wires and throw codes. If overloaded, blow fuses.

First off, get you one of these:

https://powerwerx.com/atc-ato-blade...O72cWy0woerInsEGVJogZ__LbQzXg8VxoCuCcQAvD_BwE

Mount it under the dash. Run an 8G wire from it to the battery. Put a large inline fuse from a car audio install kit CLOSE to the battery.

Then when you add electronics, you have a power source and it's fused and you never have to go through the firewall... unless you are feeding wires from the switch...

I also recommend that when you install anything light related, to use a relay.

IF you're good - you can do a fuse and a relay panel and mount it under the dash.
Wiring can be scary.. and some people thing power and ground and call it done. Nope..

Attachments

• 0000000fuse.jpg
    0000000fuse.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
This is what I've always done and it was worked great for me. The newer cars/trucks these days actual can monitor voltage/wattage on wires and throw codes. If overloaded, blow fuses.

https://powerwerx.com/atc-ato-blade...O72cWy0woerInsEGVJogZ__LbQzXg8VxoCuCcQAvD_BwE

Mount it under the dash. Run an 8G wire from it to the battery. Put a large inline fuse from a car audio install kit CLOSE to the battery.

Then when you add electronics, you have a power source and it's fused and you never have to go through the firewall... unless you are feeding wires from the switch...

IF you're good - you can do a fuse and a relay panel and mount it under the dash.
Wiring can be scary.. and some people thing power and ground and call it done. Nope..
Thank you. I knew it was something along these lines but wasn't sure what. Couple quick follow up questions..

-How do I determine what size fuse to use for the device?
-I have numerous relays for my HID and light bars under the hood... Should they be under the dash inside somewhere?
-Is 8 gauge thick enough wire to the fuse block, why not 4?

Thank you.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You can determine the size of wire and what fuse to use based on the amperage the item you are installing draws. Most will say what it is, but you can also get a amp meter to tell you.

Relays last longer, just like most electronic devices with less heat. If possible, mount inside, but if not, then under the hood is fine. Most factory ones are under the hood.

8G wire is more than enough wire to spin off of. You could go smaller - but 8G is good for a little over 70amps.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
You can determine the size of wire and what fuse to use based on the amperage the item you are installing draws. Most will say what it is, but you can also get a amp meter to tell you.

Relays last longer, just like most electronic devices with less heat. If possible, mount inside, but if not, then under the hood is fine. Most factory ones are under the hood.

8G wire is more than enough wire to spin off of. You could go smaller - but 8G is good for a little over 70amps.
What if a device is already fused at the device? Do I need another one in-line at that fuse block? I assume yes so I can install "my own protection"?

And for lighting, you say I should have a relay and not a fuse installed? Why is that?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Got my answer to this question

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They hit on the electrical portion.

To clean it up - wire loom for the engine bay and Tesa Tape for edges wireloom, and Tesa all interior wire. The biggest thing with clean wiring is to take your time, plan your wire running routes, and run along with factory wiring if possible. Zip tie every 6" as well.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
They hit on the electrical portion.

To clean it up - wire loom for the engine bay and Tesa Tape for edges wireloom, and Tesa all interior wire. The biggest thing with clean wiring is to take your time, plan your wire running routes, and run along with factory wiring if possible. Zip tie every 6" as well.
Any suggested method for managing multiple relays? I have probably 4-5 under the hood sitting somewhat loosely on top of the fuse box.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First I would be sure to daisy chain 12v and ground across all of them - just to keep thing clean. Then something like what was posted above. Another guy built or bought something really clean that sat on top of the current fuse box. If you don't mind drilling into the truck, you could just screw them to the side of the fender or something of that nature. Either way, ensure the relays are screwed with the posts facing down, or are covered and protected from water.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that pic above is done nicely the only thing different i would have done is use 1 relay so all the fuses turn on with the ignition. If you put the relay before the fuses they will all be tripped with the ignition.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
So connect the 12v and grounds of each and the first 12v gets ran to the battery and grounded normally?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L

So this is how I should have the wiring set up, for however many relays I have?

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/_img/relay/01.jpg

Your picture attached confused me a TINY bit and I wasn't sure what the two distribution blocks were for at the bottom. One for ground and the other for the On switch, while the block on the right all went on the single 8ga fused at the battery?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this is how I should have the wiring set up, for however many relays I have?

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/_img/relay/01.jpg

Your picture attached confused me a TINY bit and I wasn't sure what the two distribution blocks were for at the bottom. One for ground and the other for the On switch, while the block on the right all went on the single 8ga fused at the battery?

exactly how i would have done it, but only thing is i would do like a 30amp fuse at the battery and then fuse each item with the proper amount they need

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
exactly how i would have done it, but only thing is i would do like a 30amp fuse at the battery and then fuse each item with the proper amount they need
Okay. I actually ordered a 100a circuit breaker to put at the battery and going to run that from the battery to the inside of the cab, then fuse everything individually on a fuse block. That's doable too also, right?

Do I need a relay on the battery line? I didn't account for that actually when I ordered all the parts lol

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a little over kill on the 100 breaker... you still need the relay. your breaker will feed the relay. your breaker is replacing that inline fuse at the battery. A relay is a switch that when triggered it will let the power from the battery flow through to the distribution block.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
a little over kill on the 100 breaker... you still need the relay. your breaker will feed the relay. your breaker is replacing that inline fuse at the battery. A relay is a switch that when triggered it will let the power from the battery flow through to the distribution block.
I was actually going to order a 100a fuse but the breaker was cheaper on Amazon so figured what the heck. Few questions then...

-So I'll have 8ga wiring to the relay?
-I assume I need a 100a rated relay?
-What does the switch from the relay connect to?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
So I go big fuse, then relay, then to the fuse block?