Dash Pods, going to give it a try.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmoAgave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was reading this thread:
http://www.ramforum.com/f51/anyone_built_dash_adapters_hat_l3s_need_ideas-61809/

but I've never been a fan of the non-oem look in any of my vehicles. I recently picked up some "B" stock CDT Audio HD-3's super cheap (from the Manufacturer, 100% perfect but no box or grills). They don't quite fit in the OEM holes on the dash. While I was getting the dremel ready I decided to try the 'towel pods' the hardcore audio types do to get the correct angles before they actually build the pods.
I was dumb struck. It sounded absolutely amazing. Incredible. Wrapped in towels and on axis. Screw that windshield reflection, I have to at least try this and see if I can make it look decent.
Right now I'm thinking starting with a 4" PVC pipe mated to a 3" 90 degree elbow ported into the OEM holes (then stuff some old car towels or closed cell foam in there and under the dash).
Then form a more attractive pod around that which will hopefully not stand out too much from the outside of the truck.

Would love input, way more creative people on here then me.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I am following would like to boost their performance

OP
OP
A

AmoAgave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
Damn that A-pillar is sexy. I really want one!

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
I went through a lot of that thread and it has me jealous! I wish I could build a set for my 2007.

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I put these 4.5" in my pillars. Wound up taking them
Out to wrap them in a different material. Probably less intrusive than building a pod around the pillar.

cf0867731b7c4ece5979ea117efd4f32.jpg
64c6bf954ac8af04eb28f4c2fe523518.jpg

Im doing a set of pillars with 3" in them now for another member and they are way less intrusive. A tweeter could easily be added right above them
In the pillar. I'll post pics when I'm done in a few days.

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
Out to wrap them in a different material. Probably less intrusive than building a pod around the pillar.

Im doing a set of pillars with 3" in them now for another member and they are way less intrusive. A tweeter could easily be added right above them
Would you be interested in building a A-pillar kit for a 3.5 and tweeter?

OP
OP
A

AmoAgave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Looking forward to pics. Higher sound stage then the dash also. I played around with a lot of ideas this weekend, got frustrated and dampened/ensolited my doors and door panels instead. lol.

What material are you wrapping the pillars in? I'm thinking black pillars would look even less intrusive especially from outside the truck.

Are they sealed or do they vent down under the dash?

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Would you be interested in building a A-pillar kit for a 3.5 and tweeter?

I'll shoot you a PM shortly

Looking forward to pics. Higher sound stage then the dash also. I played around with a lot of ideas this weekend, got frustrated and dampened/ensolited my doors and door panels instead. lol.

What material are you wrapping the pillars in? I'm thinking black pillars would look even less intrusive especially from outside the truck.

Are they sealed or do they vent down under the dash?

For the short time I had them playing in the pillar, the stage was much more focused than in the dash location due to the reduction of windshield reflections. The overall response is just so much smoother.

I had some suede that matched the oem color very closely but I dunno where the hell I put it!? I had them painted black for a bit and it just looks real out of place with my dark grey interior. Still up in the air how I will finish them.

They vent down into the dash

OP
OP
A

AmoAgave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll shoot you a PM shortly

For the short time I had them playing in the pillar, the stage was much more focused than in the dash location due to the reduction of windshield reflections. The overall response is just so much smoother.

I had some suede that matched the oem color very closely but I dunno where the hell I put it!? I had them painted black for a bit and it just looks real out of place with my dark grey interior. Still up in the air how I will finish them.

They vent down into the dash

I played around with them aimed (via the wrapped in towel method) up out of the dash and was shocked how well they sounded. I have the crossed at 800hz/12db and even the bass was much better and higher and more accurate. Artifacts in the music I suppose. Windshield reflections destroy the music.

I'm going to do this now. :) Look forward to pics. I think this is a much better way. Any passengers complain about lack of grab handle? Were they in the way?