How to swap out speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT Big Horn CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I removed my front door panel to make some 6.5 component speaker adapters today. Very simple, but getting the doorpanel back on was a MAJOR pain. Any tips on making it easier? I couldn't believe how hard it was to line everything up...

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Man, can't help you there. Didn't have any problems....

lizardking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 6.7 "The real deal"
Great write up. Thanks for the post

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I removed my front door panel to make some 6.5 component speaker adapters today. Very simple, but getting the doorpanel back on was a MAJOR pain. Any tips on making it easier? I couldn't believe how hard it was to line everything up...

Sorry, I don't have any tips on making it easier. I've had my door panels off a number of times now and sometimes the panel will slide right on and others may take a bit.

Great write up. Thanks for the post

Thanks, np

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great info!!

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'm sure I'm too late to the game, but maybe this will help someone else. I too had this same issue the first (of many) times I pulled the door panel. In order to put it back on, remove the plastic insert for the door handle, and the window/door switch panel from your door panel. Both these items pop out easily. The door panel will then go on easily. Hook it over the lock first, and then all else falls in place.

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Speaker swap & possible sub swap

Wrong thread, please delete.

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just to add a few pics to keep the thread up to date and add a suggestion or 3.
This is on a 2014 RAM Quad cab with the Alpine unit. I took a few pics of the center dash speaker (it's about the same as the 2 sides, insert a plastic screw driver and lift, then disconnect the light sensor) Also, the newer trucks have a rectangular insert covering the door screw behind the handle, instead of a circular one like in the original post. I also recommend (as others have here) to remove the plastic insert surrounding the door handle itself. It makes removing and reinstalling the door panel MUCH easier and only takes a second to pry it up as shown in the pic and pop it out.
My suggestions though:
(1) OP says to use a small jewelers screwdriver to pop the panels and grills. I hate using metal tools to pop out plastic tabs, and try to avoid ANY metal to plastic prying when I can since the plastic bends and dimples so easily. I recommend a plastic spudger like these. I used to work at Apple retail and we used these as Genii to repair computers and I fell in love. Flat and pointed ends for getting under stuff but quite sturdy.
(2) When removing the door panels, I recommend the plastic door pins for last, both removing and reinstalling. I say this as on the first door, after replacing all the pins, I dropped the door screw that installs behind the handle into the hole left when the window switches were removed. So I had to remove all the pins AGAIN and then reinstall them AGAIN. Which brings me to tip 3:
(3) After placing the door panel back on the door, replace the switch pod FIRST so nothing falls into it and into the door panel.

Attachments

• IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1957.jpg
    IMG_1957.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1949.jpg
    IMG_1949.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 247

delunad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody know if we can add the center speaker on the dash on an express?

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anybody know if we can add the center speaker on the dash on an express?

That is a really good question. I bet our expresses don't even have the wiring harness there.

Jair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone knows how to make the door speaker in a regular cab 4gen make full range audio not only subwoofer???

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anyone knows how to make the door speaker in a regular cab 4gen make full range audio not only subwoofer???

Dang I thought they were. Are they missing bass? What system came with your truck?

Paasch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have gotten to the part where I connect the new speakers and... No sound. I tried connecting the old speakers to see if my connectors were bad. Nothing. I didnt have the new speakers mounted just holding them in my hand. Any suggestions?

Thanks

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have gotten to the part where I connect the new speakers and... No sound. I tried connecting the old speakers to see if my connectors were bad. Nothing. I didnt have the new speakers mounted just holding them in my hand. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Man absolutely no clue here. Both left and right speakers?

greasedlightning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thanks for the write blew my crapy tweeters from factory and i dont even turn the radio past 17 the tweeters suck

BP15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nice Info bro. I am going to start looking at speakers to improve my sound

Aikido187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regular Cab Update

Just wanted to give everyone a follow up for a Regular Cab. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Express Regular Cab and just installed the Kicker KSC694 (6 x 9 2way) in the rear and the Kicker KSC354 (3-1/2) in the dash. Everything fit with no problem. The rear was a little tight but it fit. The sound improvement was amazing. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat